Premier League 2019-2020 we’re off

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Shaw's good enough for them to be competitive. City won the title gaining over 100 points with Delph and Zinchenko making 25 appearances at LB in the PL. Shaw's decent enough.

I think signing Skriniar, Partey, Bruno Fernandes and Sancho would be enough to make them competitive on paper, just not sure Solskjaer's the man to get them there tactically.

Personally think an XI of De Gea, AWB, Maguire, Skriniar, Shaw, Partey, Pogba, Sancho, Fernandes, Martial and Rashford is strong enough to be competitive. Expensive to get there though, and then there's the question mark over the manager.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think UTD are about 6 top signings away from the top teams

GK - no issues

Backline - it’s one of the most expensive in the league but massive gaps at LB and CB

Midfield - McTomminey seems a decent player - a bit like Fletcher and does a job but is there anyone else ? Matic , Fred , Perira , Lingard ( ??? ) - they seem nowhere near the level required. Then there is the Pogba issue - quality player but clearly doesn’t want to be there and maybe just doesn’t suit the Prem. So you could say that 3 players needed

Forwards - Rashford is a quality player , but imo can’t play through the middle , same with Martial who doesn’t want to be there and James who is very direct with his pace. So prob need 2/3 players there as well

That’s a lot of players needed but a lot of money as well- and when you consider that apparently City have only spent £80mil more since Ferguson left you have to ask where the money has gone

UTD have big problems imo and OGS is not the person they need there - a good 5 years of very good recruitment away from challenging imo

You never know......... You guys were 8th in 2016 and i'd say that's the level we are at now. It took you 4 years to get to dominating the league so with the right players we can do it. I think Ole is only doing his best with what is available. I think its a player issue, not a manager one. Changing manager every season wont make us improve. Sadly, it's all going to come down to money , it doesnt matter whether City have spent £80m more than us, if the money is there use it. Get a wedge for Pogba and use that to help.

Maguire Lindleof and Bailly I think are capable CB. Don't get me started on Jones. I agree LB is a problem unless Shaw really pushes on. Brandon Williams has also really impressed me.

Midfield is where we need to strengthen. min 2 players, including a creative one. (We've turned Rashford into more of a left winger)

Strikers, we need a couple. Martial has the potential but we need more options up front.

Utd are a very big club but will the top players want to come.
You need CL at the very least to attract these names.
That should be the first goal.
With CL footy you may get these stars but without it is a different story imo.

Money talks.

Last edited:

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I agree, I think we are about where you were in 2015-16 when Leicester won the league.

Stu al reply to you coz I thinks it’s a serious post. A Utd fan quotes five players inc one going world class, then says 3 more players will make Utd fantastic. Now correct me if am wrong but football is played with 11 players not 8. Now look at City and who was sat on the bench last night, plus Sane and Laporte still out injured. Football at the highest level is not about your starting 8 or 11. It is the squad, and quite frankly Utds squad is wafer thin. Now look at pep and Klopp. They just crack on with it, they don’t have Woodward at the club making wrong decisions. The worst thing Utd could do is let OGS carry on at the helm.Hope he does though ?

You're right. But, i'd also say Liverpool and City's squad isn't as strong as they'd like, City Especially need a CB. A couple of injuries to key players and they'd struggle. I think Utd need a 3 year plan and to chop and change managers before that isn't the way forward as you're just moving yourself back a year every time. Like I said, our best players this year have been the one's Ole has signed. Give him the 3 seasons, then make the call. Woodward has to give him the £ to get those players though.[/QUOTE]
Totally agree with you Junior, but City have had and still do have Laporte and Sane out with injuries. Utd are miles behind City who are behind liverpool. Utds next manager has a massive task ahead of him

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Shaw's good enough for them to be competitive. City won the title gaining over 100 points with Delph and Zinchenko making 25 appearances at LB in the PL. Shaw's decent enough.

I think signing Skriniar, Partey, Bruno Fernandes and Sancho would be enough to make them competitive on paper, just not sure Solskjaer's the man to get them there tactically.

Personally think an XI of De Gea, AWB, Maguire, Skriniar, Shaw, Partey, Pogba, Sancho, Fernandes, Martial and Rashford is strong enough to be competitive. Expensive to get there though, and then there's the question mark over the manager.
That team without pogba but an able replacement is a step in the right direction.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
LOL gotta love footy talk.
How many were saying at the start of the season "Liverpools squad isnt as good as, or isn't good enough..."
Perhaps instead of now saying how good the Liverpool squad is now, and how A team only needs x number of players, look at the most important man for any squad....the manager.
Perhaps OGS isn't good enough, perhaps Pep has issues with player selection and perhaps the Special One is about as a special as a pair of worn out old boots.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Rashford "true world class level" ???
I rate him but he's not near that level yet.

The problem is you need more than 5 good players to make that team capable to get closer to City and Liverpool.

Going by the transfer fees in recent seasons it'll take more than £275m to improve that squad to compete.

With the right manager and signings you're right it could change but unless you're buying the real best players it'll take 2 or 3 seasons to see a massive improvement. Have Yernited fans got the patience?

Right now there's no evidence to suggest any Complacency from Liverpool, the mentality klopp has instilled suggests there'll be no complacency if we win the league.

No, I think you are wrong.
We could comfortably do that with three.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
That's a bold statement.

Depends how you class closer....as Liverpool are near perfect this year UTD would only need to be 3 points better off so far next season to be “closer” to them. I think UTD could do that easily with 3 good signings.

I do think Slime means more than 3 points better off though. Either way UTD are in a bit of a downward spiral at the minute, OGS lacks motivation in my eyes so is always going to struggle in the job and can’t see them improving properly until he is gone

D

Deleted member 1740

Depends how you class closer....as Liverpool are near perfect this year UTD would only need to be 3 points better off so far next season to be “closer” to them. I think UTD could do that easily with 3 good signings.

I do think Slime means more than 3 points better off though. Either way UTD are in a bit of a downward spiral at the minute, OGS lacks motivation in my eyes so is always going to struggle in the job and can’t see them improving properly until he is gone

I’m not so sure, slime thought Yernited had the better back 5 at the beginning of the season☺️☺️

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The problem is when it comes to Man U, Citeh, Chelsea , Liverpool etc there are no under-priced players.

At least we won the 2nd half though :p:LOL:

We need 4 players minimum. 2 CM, a left back and a forward.

Thats just for the team, though Andy, you also then have to build up another 10-12 more players who are of the same or at least adequate standard to come in, as its a squad game now.

Everyone said when we bought the Ox "but where does he fit in the team" - I said at the time that we needed to flesh out the squad, as otherwise as soon as we have 3-4 injuries the bench starts to see many 18 year olds on it, same with Keita.

This season, we have regularly played Henderson, Milner, Wijnaldum, Fabinho, Keita, Ox and recently Lallana. That is 7 players fighting for 3 positions as rarely do we not play a 3 main midfield. Milner also covers LB and the OX one of the front 3 on occasion.

I think Mctominay looks like a future mainstay, after that......

Pogba - his priority is himself not the team.
Lingard - nowhere near the player of 2 years ago.
Fred - not to standard
Matic - getting older, still very good on his day, but is he the future
Pereira - I still dont know what type of player he is.
Mata - for me never even got close to what he did in his last year or two at Chelsea

2 CM may be good for the team, but you are slowly also going to have to get a squad behind it, as well.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
One thing that most fans talk about now is "buying" to improve, and generally expensive signings being the general panacaea.

Including myself, when we only bought Andy Robbo, we were disappointed in that transfer window. TAA has come through, Gomez (when not injured) has been nurtured through the reserves. Milner was free, Hendo is improving as each season goes by, Ox a different player to the Arsenal vintage, Fabinho one of the best holding midfielders in Europe.

Mane and Salah turned into world class players, even getting a tune out of Origi.

The only one that I would say that he hasnt improved (yet) is Keita, but is increasing showing more signs of the player we thought we had signed, just needs a run without injuries.

More importantly, if he doesnt improve them, they dont last long (like Mignolet).

I dont see any sign that OGS is a great coach. He has assimilated Macguire and AWB into the side, Rashford is improving (couldnt get any worse the way Mourinho handled him).

I certainly wont write off Man U, but they need 4-5 for the team, another 5-6 to have a great squad, and thats if they all work out. Can he coach them into a cohesive unit, with a playing style? I'm doubtful.