Premier League 2019-2020 we’re off

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15344

The saving grace to choosing this season to introduce VAR so badly is that at least nobody can lay even the smallest claim to Liverpool being undeserving champions because of it. Would have been a potential nightmare with how close last season was!

It won't be particularly exciting, but I hope the bottom 3 this season is equally clear cut. Then sort out the mess in time for next year.

Social media is full of people claiming that exact thing - Any Liverpool success will be tainted because of VAR , Liverpool only winning at the moment because of VAR , the “LiVARpool” is all over the place.

If we win there will be many stating the above till the end of time - it’s already been decided that it’s down to VAR despite the club being on the recieving end of VAR issues as well.

I can see them attempting to sort out the mess and it being made even worse - there is a few little things they can do now to make it a bit easier for themselves

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
A level of VAR has been inputted into a number of other sports without the need of the input from fans - why does football need it ? When they introduced goalline technology they didn’t need to speak to the fans

Has not been implemented this season because the clubs and managers agreed to it ?

I’m not happy with the way it is now - how can one person handle it in the area accidentally and it be fine and someone else do it and it result in a free kick ?

Either it’s a foul for both or it’s ok for both

Because its so controversial, it is dominating the sport at the moment and will continue to if it doesnt improve. I'm not asking for the fans alone to decide everything realted to it, but just to have a say like all the other interested parties will get the chance to.

I agree with you on the defending/attacking team to be treated equally, but dont want to sanction throwing the baby out with the bathwater by making every handball a foul either. That replaces something daft with something absurd.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Social media is full of people claiming that exact thing - Any Liverpool success will be tainted because of VAR , Liverpool only winning at the moment because of VAR , the “LiVARpool” is all over the place.

If we win there will be many stating the above till the end of time - it’s already been decided that it’s down to VAR despite the club being on the recieving end of VAR issues as well.

I can see them attempting to sort out the mess and it being made even worse - there is a few little things they can do now to make it a bit easier for themselves

Social media is fully of divvies, always will be.

D

Deleted member 15344

Because its so controversial, it is dominating the sport at the moment and will continue to if it doesnt improve. I'm not asking for the fans alone to decide everything realted to it, but just to have a say like all the other interested parties will get the chance to.

I agree with you on the defending/attacking team to be treated equally, but dont want to sanction throwing the baby out with the bathwater by making every handball a foul either. That replaces something daft with something absurd.

It’s only contraversial because it’s being implemented poorly by the Premier League In regards letting the fans and players know what’s going on - the decisions that are being made don’t seem to be the issue

The Prem League are going to make changes to ensure a smoother quicker process - but that will be working alongside the clubs

What do you think the fans would say that would be any different ?

As an example there was an article where they asked 8 Journos what can be done - they came up with 8 different things

Also let’s look at the logistics of it - there are millions of football fans who watch Premier league clubs- how do you ask them ? What do you ask them ? Are you really going to get a workable set of answers.

Other sports can introduce VAR smoothly and without needing an input from the fans - why in football ?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
View attachment 28835

Thought this was a good visual representation
Fantastic explanation that. That's what we've been saying all along. The margin is too big to give someone who appears to be level as offside by a gnat's testicle, particularly when it takes over 3 minutes to arrive at the decision. Level on the replay has to be given as onside. If they're not level you'll see he's clearly offside on the replay, enough to be beyond the margin of error stated here, and no arguments can be had because he's clearly offside Would be so much better and far less headaches - and faster because you'd not have to wait for some tit to draw lines all over the screen.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The saving grace to choosing this season to introduce VAR so badly is that at least nobody can lay even the smallest claim to Liverpool being undeserving champions because of it. Would have been a potential nightmare with how close last season was!

It won't be particularly exciting, but I hope the bottom 3 this season is equally clear cut. Then sort out the mess in time for next year.
What do you mean? Without all their jammy VAR decisions they'd be about 10 points worse off and still within bottling range! :cautious:

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
We have professional (round ball style) football here but it's small time compared to Premier League.
The owner of my favorite baseball team owns or co-owns a Premier League team...I think Liverpool but I'm not sure.

I like your rugby more than association rules football (called soccer here for whatever reason). I'm a little confused between the fifteens and thirteens, however. Our school teams play fifteens but we see Southern Hemisphere thirteens on television.

D

Deleted member 16999

VAR has been controversial in all Leagues it’s been implemented in, most are in to their 2 season with it and there has been howlers.
The Bundesliga has introduced calibrated lines for offside this season after not using them last season.
Hopefully the errors/controversies will lessen as we get use to it.

Some of the issues the PL are facing are not unique to us.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I think that all this talk of Liverpool getting the rub of the green on VAR decisions is not borne out by the facts. I felt very sorry for Wolves on Sunday, but based on the rules the two reviews came up with the correct outcome. Orikoru, you can’t say that Spurs didn’t benefit from the Pukki offside and as a Leicester supporter we got a similar one against Son earlier in the season. You win some, you lose some which was always the case. Like everyone else I do have my frustrations with the way VAR is being applied - just let the ref look at the screen himself to make the decision.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
We have professional (round ball style) football here but it's small time compared to Premier League.
The owner of my favorite baseball team owns or co-owns a Premier League team...I think Liverpool but I'm not sure.

I like your rugby more than association rules football (called soccer here for whatever reason). I'm a little confused between the fifteens and thirteens, however. Our school teams play fifteens but we see Southern Hemisphere thirteens on television.
15 is Rugby Union and 13 Rugby League, the two split over 100 years ago and play to somewhat different rules. I prefer Union, and used to have a season ticket at Leicester Tigers.

I have followed the Seahawks in the NFL for over 30 years, although more just looking out for their results rather than watching the matches on TV unless they get to the playoffs.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I think that all this talk of Liverpool getting the rub of the green on VAR decisions is not borne out by the facts. I felt very sorry for Wolves on Sunday, but based on the rules the two reviews came up with the correct outcome. Orikoru, you can’t say that Spurs didn’t benefit from the Pukki offside and as a Leicester supporter we got a similar one against Son earlier in the season. You win some, you lose some which was always the case. Like everyone else I do have my frustrations with the way VAR is being applied - just let the ref look at the screen himself to make the decision.

That is such a cliche though. They never even out.

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/eng...sions-have-affected-every-premier-league-club

Without var I’m and refs having to use it,human error can be used as a get out for when refs bottle it at places like anfield and old Trafford when the small clubs come to visit.

D

Deleted member 16999

Apparently this is how the table would look without VAR:
Just for fun guys and girls, just for fun.
7B824852-5224-4345-A13F-4233CD4BC4E5.jpeg

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Refs are not improving in any aspect of the game imo, there were once again so many instances over the last few fixture days when they blew far too early not allowing an advantage to unfold, and if there wasn’t any, then go back to the foul. They were on many occasions too eager to blow & book and bring the game to a halt, when there was still a good break and the teams player who had been fouled, still in possession and attacking.

Refs really do need to improve greatly, but we’ve been saying the same for decades so I won’t hold my breath.

D

Deleted member 16999

Is that genuine??
Apparently they’ve been doing it since week 1, take your result against Wolves, you might of been 1-0 down at half time, but who’s to say you wouldn’t of scored twice in the 2nd half.
They have the result as Wolves losing 3pts and yous gaining 3pts.
I take it with a pinch of salt.

D

Deleted member 1740

This season’s league is probably the fairest one yet with very little wrong decisions leading to incorrect goals/pens given or not given where they should.

D

Deleted member 1740

Apparently they’ve been doing it since week 1, take your result against Wolves, you might of been 1-0 down at half time, but who’s to say you wouldn’t of scored twice in the 2nd half.
They have the result as Wolves losing 3pts and yous gaining 3pts.
I take it with a pinch of salt.

I cant think of a decision in a game where VAR has swung it and we've won the game directly from it.

There was a piece in a paper where key VAR decisions had been used and ours was level 3 for and 3 against. That wolves one however tight it was, and I'd be happy for advantage to the attacker, it was the correct call going by the same decisions that's gone before for others in the last 5 months.