Premier League 2019-2020 we’re off

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1740

VAR didn’t get implemented because of people watching on telly complaining about poor decisions - it was nothing to do with the fans. Clubs and managers video analysis the games to the 9th degree and they are the reason why it was brought in - not the “armchair fans”

Its the narrative that was set by sky and the likes and the Armchair fans peddle it.

They set the agenda. A bit like when Andy Gray was at sky and certain managers used Zonal Marking, his opinion became gospel and every Armchair fan you spoke to would just recite what he'd said the day/days before.

Refs didn't want Video assistance. Its causing chaos to the game.

That said, I stand by my thoughts last season, until we get better refs we'll still get rubbish decisions.

D

Deleted member 16999

Its the narrative that was set by sky and the likes and the Armchair fans peddle it.

They set the agenda. A bit like when Andy Gray was at sky and certain managers used Zonal Marking, his opinion became gospel and every Armchair fan you spoke to would just recite what he'd said the day/days before.

That said, I stand by my thoughts last season, until we get better refs we'll still get rubbish decisions.
It’s here to stay mate:geek:
Just wait a few years and the Sky remote will have an appeal button on it for live games. ;)

D

Deleted member 1740

Aren’t you and Stu sitting in armchairs tonight moaning about decisions?

Bringing VAR in has nothing to do with you being at the match or watching it at home, it is about getting the decisions correct.

Just because the system is not being used correctly or the rules should of been clarified prior to them bringing it in has no bearing on were supporters are when these decisions are being well and truly messed up.

Sorry I cant be at Carrow road tonight.

You're correct, has VAR improved the game to date?

D

Deleted member 16999

Sorry I cant be at Carrow road tonight.

You're correct, has VAR improved the game to date?
The introduction of VAR has been a disgrace this season, but it’s irrelevant as to were a fan watches the game from.
They don’t review decisions based on how many are in the ground or whether the game is on Sky.
VAR has got more decisions correct than they’ve got wrong, but that’s down to the FA/PL not Sky.

D

Deleted member 15344

it was a narrative also peddled by managers who were losing games by poor decisions , players constantly complaining to the refs about poor decisions , owners losing money because of poor decisions.

Game going fans also sit there and complain about poor decisions during the game and after in the pub or during motd after etc etc etc

It’s complete nonsense to point fingers at “armchair “ fans as if it’s down to them that VAR was brought in and is being implemented poorly

D

Deleted member 1740

What I don't get is the looking down the nose at armchair fans. Not everyone is able to go to games. I do think those fans that turn up week after week, all over the country are the true die-hard fans but don't like getting sneered at for being an armchair fan (and carpark golfer)!

Also..."Armchair fans like what they've got"...did we really ask for VAR? I certainly didn't and am pretty sure Sky et al pouring over every angle and slagging off referees plus the huge amounts of money at stake, are more the culprit for its introduction. It has ruined the game as a spectator sport full stop - live or on the box. When Pukki (love that name) scored I cheered but choked it short as there was every chance it may not stand. Seeing the VAR decision is even more frustrating.

Nobody is "looking down the nose at Armchair fans" at all. I just find most of the people who moan actually dont go the game and demand/ want changes to football like VAR. It's ok sitting at home saying yes that's the right decision after it's taken 3 minutes to decide and 100 replays angles.

Now as a fan being in the ground many times this season where var is being used its ruining the enjoyment of going. Add in the £59 cost per game it's becoming something it never was and not for the better.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
What I don't get is the looking down the nose at armchair fans. Not everyone is able to go to games. I do think those fans that turn up week after week, all over the country are the true die-hard fans but don't like getting sneered at for being an armchair fan (and carpark golfer)!

Also..."Armchair fans like what they've got"...did we really ask for VAR? I certainly didn't and am pretty sure Sky et al pouring over every angle and slagging off referees plus the huge amounts of money at stake, are more the culprit for its introduction. It has ruined the game as a spectator sport full stop - live or on the box. When Pukki (love that name) scored I cheered but choked it short as there was every chance it may not stand. Seeing the VAR decision is even more frustrating.

Yet but who is looking down there nose, my grief is not with armchair fans, there a long way down a list of my grief with football at the moment. Am fortunate I go and sit on me settee. Hence see both sides.

Tashyboy

Visit site
Nobody is "looking down the nose at Armchair fans" at all. I just find most of the people who moan actually dont go the game and demand/ want changes to football like VAR. It's ok sitting at home saying yes that's the right decision after it's taken 3 minutes to decide and 100 replays angles.

Now as a fan being in the ground many times this season where var is being used its ruining the enjoyment of going. Add in the £59 cost per game it's becoming something it never was and not for the better.

Going for a hot shower, I am agreeing with a Liverpool fan ?

D

Deleted member 1740

I also don't know a single Liverpool fan with a Scouse accent and I know quite a few.

Have you asked them why they dont support your local team??

Unless you live in liverpool or work in the surrounding areas then you'll struggle to find a scouse accent.

I know a few fellas who fled down the smoke in the 80's for work who dont have a scouse accent but you can still hear certain words and phrases when they speak.

If it was upto me I'd have a cull and a local knowledge test before you can support us.

Get rid of the Tarquin from Tunbridge Wells, Sam from Bristol, Phil from Milton Keynes ? super fan brigades ?

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Have you asked them why they dont support your local team??

Unless you live in liverpool or work in the surrounding areas then you'll struggle to find a scouse accent.

I know a few fellas who fled down the smoke in the 80's for work who dont have a scouse accent but you can still hear certain words and phrases when they speak.

If it was upto me I'd have a cull and a local knowledge test before you can support us.

Get rid of the Tarquin from Tunbridge Wells, Sam from Bristol, Phil from Milton Keynes ? super fan brigades ?
Most of them are just glory hunters from the 80s , I don't mind and they do buy all those shirts ?

Tashyboy

Visit site
What a load of crap , Liverpool fc make over 200 mil of tv money from those armchair fans, that's the biggest source of their income . Without which there'd be no vdv or sala and the like.

Well al tell you this for nowt, when your playing in empty stadiums coz the match day experience is crap. Tell me it’s crap then. Your answer is part of the problem, Stu you can shove your enjoyable experience at £52 a ticket coz your club got £200 million. Guess what, me and Stu were going 30 years ago before Salah and KDB were even born. Before tv killed the game for match going fans. And we will be supporting them in 30 years time? There’s been comments about people looking down there noses at armchair fans. Me personally I think it’s worse saying match going fans can shove it coz TV paying armchair fans pay more.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think the tech is, just the absolute buffoons using it is the problem.

not for me, until they can prove how they know which frame to freeze it on to draw their lines for when the ball is kicked, theyre currently guessing/choosing which one they want

only a matter of time until there is a chip in the ball and the players studs then us armchair fans can know for sure were not being cheated ;)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
VAR is killing the game. I get the fact that offside is factual and a player is off or on but the delay to prove a big toe was in front of the ball has turned fans off in droves especially for those paying good money to go to a game and sitting there with no idea what is happening. The technology is fine but how it is being used by the refs on the pitch and at Stockley Plark needs dramatic and urgent revamping