Premier League 2019-2020 we’re off

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16999

That punishes fans like you that pay for their ticket.

There must be a way to identify these people and sort them out.
I’m with Stu on this one, you can’t expect other fans to police it, what if it’s a bloke with young kids and idiot turns on him?
It’s a society problem and it needs addressing at the top levels.
Banning someone from a football ground doesn’t stop racism, it just means the racist can’t go the match, they are still a racist.

For me we have to change the language we all use and Gary Neville was spot on.

D

Deleted member 16999

Disgraceful behaviour by so called Tottenham fans. You make racist chants at a player because the colour of his skin. So by that logic, you will do the same to Sissoko, Sanchez, Aurier- MORON
Every club has them though mate, that’s why it needs addressing in society, but like you say it’s incredible anyone with at least 1 brain cell would make those gestures in this day and age.

D

Deleted member 1740

That punishes fans like you that pay for their ticket.

There must be a way to identify these people and sort them out.

I’m more than happy to forfeit half of 1 game if it means we don’t have racist chants in our ground.

Sorting people out? Trace them down , ban them then wait for the next ignorammous to arrive and do the same again? No ta.

Zero tolerance is the only way it works.

Wolf

Visit site
Just seen Nevilles comments on racism in the game from last night and he absolutely nails it in the head, also unbelievably poor comments from DJ immediately after showing towing the company line is mkre important perhaps to him or whoever had a word in his ear from Sky, especially saying in the interest of a balanced debate. There shouldn't be any balance at all it should be zero tolerance and companies like Sky have the biggest platform to help out these issues.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just seen Nevilles comments on racism in the game from last night and he absolutely nails it in the head, also unbelievably poor comments from DJ immediately after showing towing the company line is mkre important perhaps to him or whoever had a word in his ear from Sky, especially saying in the interest of a balanced debate. There shouldn't be any balance at all it should be zero tolerance and companies like Sky have the biggest platform to help out these issues.

Saw his apology this morning

Least he has apologised .. realised the company made him look an idiot

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’m more than happy to forfeit half of 1 game if it means we don’t have racist chants in our ground.

Sorting people out? Trace them down , ban them then wait for the next ignorammous to arrive and do the same again? No ta.

Zero tolerance is the only way it works.
Yes I’m agree zero tolerance
But what makes you think it will only be one game.

D

Deleted member 1740

Yes I’m agree zero tolerance
But what makes you think it will only be one game.

I think abandoning 1 game will send out the clearest message that racism will not be tolerated. These people arent stupid, they know exactly what they're doing.

Using yesterdays occurance as an example. If Taylor takes both teams off and abandons that game, do you think the rest of the countries match going fans will take note and watch what they say or think about what they say in future? I do.

As the current punishment is 3 year ban£300 fine and a£60 surcharge that is not a big enough deterrent because it's still happening.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Only way to stop it is a zero tolerance approach and abandonment of games, then everybody knows if there’s any racist chants etc then the game gets abandoned and the offending team loses the match. It’ll stop.

I dont agree, and we're not sure that this will stop it in future, either. Why should one idiot spoil it for the other 20-70K fans?

Punish the individual(s), unless a certain club has a particular problem that means it happens week in week out.

D

Deleted member 16999

Sadly, until points are taken off teams it will continue, playing behind closed doors, fines, fans banned, none of those will have a big effect on Clubs, take points and everyone will get involved.

Abandon the match and lose 3 points, harsh on the Club and genuine fans, but I’d imagine next time they play it’ll be a different attitude in the ground.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Agree totally with the Neville comments. As the referee had to stop the game will it stay in house for the PL to deal with or will UEFA start looking at the incident as well?

It needs something strong to send the message out and I understand players wanting to leave the pitch and ultimately the match being abandoned bu t doesn't that penalise the other 99%? Not sure how playing behind closed doors really helps and so unless a club is punished with points deductions and therefore affecting their position (and so potential finishing spot and prize money and European/relegation positions) I don't see what can be done. Unless fans are going to name and shame the culprits to the club and police it is going to be hard for clubs to make find these idiots and deal with them. Again though would a ban really work and how many that are banned from clubs go to away games still or even try and get into another part of grounds (genuine question)

D

Deleted member 1740

I dont agree, and we're not sure that this will stop it in future, either. Why should one idiot spoil it for the other 20-70K fans?

Punish the individual(s), unless a certain club has a particular problem that means it happens week in week out.

Try it. I'm sure it's only happen once.

Punish individuals? The current punishment isnt working because its continuing to happen.

I'm pretty certain it'd make any fan of that persuasion think twice as he's/she's/it's/non binary walking upto the ground not to use any form of racial abuse because they know the game gets abandoned. It might be drastic measures but nevertheless it'll stop inside stadiums.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think abandoning 1 game will send out the clearest message that racism will not be tolerated. These people arent stupid, they know exactly what they're doing.

Using yesterdays occurance as an example. If Taylor takes both teams off and abandons that game, do you think the rest of the countries match going fans will take note and watch what they say or think about what they say in future? I do.

As the current punishment is 3 year ban£300 fine and a£60 surcharge that is not a big enough deterrent because it's still happening.

If you abandon the game without identification of the culprit.
He can just do it again next week.
I can’t see the logic

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Perhaps as a starting point, treble the number of stewards, make them actually look at the fans, not the game and have them be pro active. When the village idiot stands up and makes a racist comment, identify them, descend en masse, hand over to the police.

The recent incidents in the PL have largely been individuals or two or three idiots being bold together. They have not been 1,000 fans chanting together. Individuals can be picked out, isolated and removed quickly. The clubs just have to swamp the grounds with people capable of doing this rather than just students and old men handed a yellow jacket 3hrs before match day.

If we are going to wait for society to change then we may be waiting some time to get rid of these dregs.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Every club has them though mate, that’s why it needs addressing in society, but like you say it’s incredible anyone with at least 1 brain cell would make those gestures in this day and age.

Unfortunately they do, and I partly blame clubs, and they want to return to all standing. Yobs standing together. That's gonna help loads. This is my last season as a season ticket holder. Am watching football I dreamed of, yet the games are killing me. rascism, VAR, constant changing of fixtures for telly. Kick off times. Citys next four games are inc last Saturday's are 5.30,5.30,6.00,5.31 brilliant when you have a 4 and 7 yr old to take. We sit in the family stand and unsold tickets are sold to anyone. There's hardly any kids in there yet I sit hearing effing and jeffin in a family stand. Be glad to be watching it at home in future, but at the same time sad.

D

Deleted member 1740

Unfortunately they do, and I partly blame clubs, and they want to return to all standing. Yobs standing together. That's gonna help loads. This is my last season as a season ticket holder. Am watching football I dreamed of, yet the games are killing me. rascism, VAR, constant changing of fixtures for telly. Kick off times. Citys next four games are inc last Saturday's are 5.30,5.30,6.00,5.31 brilliant when you have a 4 and 7 yr old to take. We sit in the family stand and unsold tickets are sold to anyone. There's hardly any kids in there yet I sit hearing effing and jeffin in a family stand. Be glad to be watching it at home in future, but at the same time sad.

Wow, That's a massive overeaction and generalisation.

I dont see standing causing racist abuse.

Safe standing isnt about "yobs" all standing together. It's about standing safely watching a game. 1 person per seat standing up safely. I've ended up 3rows lower down celebrating a goal, injuring myself and others. It happens in every stadium up and down the country.

D

Deleted member 1740

Perhaps as a starting point, treble the number of stewards, make them actually look at the fans, not the game and have them be pro active. When the village idiot stands up and makes a racist comment, identify them, descend en masse, hand over to the police.

The recent incidents in the PL have largely been individuals or two or three idiots being bold together. They have not been 1,000 fans chanting together. Individuals can be picked out, isolated and removed quickly. The clubs just have to swamp the grounds with people capable of doing this rather than just students and old men handed a yellow jacket 3hrs before match day.

If we are going to wait for society to change then we may be waiting some time to get rid of these dregs.

Theres 12000 fans on the Kop alone, how many stewards do you propose should be on there?

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Try it. I'm sure it's only happen once.

Punish individuals? The current punishment isnt working because its continuing to happen.

I'm pretty certain it'd make any fan of that persuasion think twice as he's/she's/it's/non binary walking upto the ground not to use any form of racial abuse because they know the game gets abandoned. It might be drastic measures but nevertheless it'll stop inside stadiums.

Ok, so lets say if it was the last game of the season, 3 points needed to win the league - could be the Etihad, Anfield or at the King power and one half "n" half wearing football fan from Kuala Lumpur corporate exec (normally supports Arsenal/Spurs/Chelsea - take your pick) shouts something rascist.......

You can see where I'm going.

You lose the league. Fair / will it make a difference to that individual?

Grounds / stands have been closed going back years, its not proven that it will still stop one divvy spoiling it for the rest.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Theres 12000 fans on the Kop alone, how many stewards do you propose should be on there?
They need to work out how many people a steward can scan and monitor, what size of block. It may be you need more near the front, it seems the idiots get bolder the nearer they are to a player, so concentrate more there. Once you know how many they can cover you go from there.

You get however many you need, clubs can afford it, the pL can afford it. If it is a priority, as it should be, then getting those numbers should not be an issue. If I can misquote from 21 Bridges, "Flood the grounds with yellow ". The abuse will drop, people will be far more wary about their behaviour and if not they will be pounced upon and removed almost instantly. Once the idiots start seeing this in action the incidents will inevitably reduce.