Premier League 2019-2020 we’re off

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1740

I was trying to think this afternoon, who was the last number 2 to successfully step up. There are a stack who have failed but I can't think of a recent one who has managed it.

Chris Houghton done a good job at both Brighton and Newcastle.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
EVERY manager is a gamble & very few last more than a few seasons.
Obviously we can all point out the inexperienced ones that fail,but I’d bet a lot more “experienced” ones also fail.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I like the idea of Arteta coming in with his affiliation to the club. I think the fans will buy into that, at least initially and many I feel have already written off this season really, certainly in the PL. I hope the board give him some cash to spend if necessary in January and definitely in the summer. If he can light a spark into Ozil and get him back to the player he can be then that's like a new player coming in. Three and a half year contract but I think he'll need all of that time to really see progress and make a difference

Wolf

Visit site
I like the idea of Arteta coming in with his affiliation to the club. I think the fans will buy into that, at least initially and many I feel have already written off this season really, certainly in the PL. I hope the board give him some cash to spend if necessary in January and definitely in the summer. If he can light a spark into Ozil and get him back to the player he can be then that's like a new player coming in. Three and a half year contract but I think he'll need all of that time to really see progress and make a difference
Would prefer him to blow that spark firmly and onto another club

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Would prefer him to blow that spark firmly and onto another club
But who'll take him in those wages? Surely better, certainly short term to try and get him back on board and playing the football he showed a few seasons back. That goes to a few players to be fair. I think the man management side is going to be Arteta's biggest challenge and getting the whole squad gelled, playing a system they understand and believe in (certainly not evidence under Emery)

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
But who'll take him in those wages? Surely better, certainly short term to try and get him back on board and playing the football he showed a few seasons back. That goes to a few players to be fair. I think the man management side is going to be Arteta's biggest challenge and getting the whole squad gelled, playing a system they understand and believe in (certainly not evidence under Emery)

Fenerbache hopefully

And for me no, Id take the opposite approach and expect Arteta to, anyone who doesnt want to commit 100% can do one in January and then rebuild from there. Plenty of chatter from players agents, mates etc, expect Arteta to find out whos in and whos out very quickly. Could be a fun window

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Fenerbache hopefully

And for me no, Id take the opposite approach and expect Arteta to, anyone who doesnt want to commit 100% can do one in January and then rebuild from there. Plenty of chatter from players agents, mates etc, expect Arteta to find out whos in and whos out very quickly. Could be a fun window
But surely that's reliant on the board stumping up cash. Not always their strong point

Wolf

Visit site
Not all even with those wages rather see him far from the team, along with anyone of the same attitude

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Not all even with those wages rather see him far from the team, along with anyone of the same attitude

Yes, I would go with Arteta. Anyone not on board, bin them off. However famous, popular, wages what ever. The future is with the coaches vision. If you don't fit, get out. Clear the way for those who do fit the dream. Then we will see how far it goes. Half hearted never won zip. Buy in 100% and see where it goes.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Ozil. When he plays well, awsome. What a player. Bizarrely, even if playing badly, has the hump when subbed. He must care, but doesn't show it on the pitch, to any great extent.

But, on any given week, a bit meh. Not sure how any coach gets the best Ozil. It's a shame, as he is brilliant when fired up.

But, 18m a year. 18m. It is a boat load of cash. If you subsidised his wages elsewhere by 13m, you would still save 5m. Got to be done. Just has to.

Artet needs to be brutal. Very.