Preferred lies in may

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just had our weekly newsletter and we're on preferred lies "until further notice".

To be fair, the weather has limited grass growth so far this year, and in any case, its not unusual for us to be on preferred lies in May anyway.

D

Deleted member 29109

Preferred lies have been removed at our place from today. But we've added a local rule giving relief from cracks in the ground.

Yesterday I found a brand new looking Pro V1x and an AVX sitting in cracks to the right of 17.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Preferred lies removed as of yesterday at our place. Considering the state of the fairways I'm suprised they haven't asked for an extension. Having said that - I'm not at all surprised as they'd see that as reflecting the course in a poor light.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Preferred lies still showing on the course status page although we were told it was only until 30th April.?
They're normally on the ball with course status changes so I'm assuming its been extended.
Will find out tomorrow when, like a lamb to the slaughter, I rock up for the Medal...

D

Deleted member 15344

Ours stopped yesterday- fairways are ok with the odd bit of abnormal ground which we have made GUR - thankfully a week of the sprinklers being on have helped hugely

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have been given a extension by Dorset. I do not know if it is county wide.

I reckon we have had about 3 hours total rain throughout the whole of April. It was pretty much the same last April but we were in lockdown so probably no one noticed that much.
We came off preferred lies today in Weymouth. Considering our fairways were ravaged by crane flies a couple of years ago they are now back to having almost too much grass.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Kent has extended till end of May. We've had no rain and I mean absolutely none for the whole of April where I am.

.......... and my course is showing the problem that no rain and cold weather brings, not to mention the leatherjackets!

D

Deleted member 3432

Golfers moaning about no rain when not so long ago they were moaning about it raining.

Golfers moaning about it been cold, a couple of weeks ago golfers were moaning about getting sunburnt.

Golfers moaning about no growth, don't worry you will be moaning about the rough being waist deep in about 3 weeks.

We are back playing golf all we have to moan about is playing crap and WHS :ROFLMAO:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
How bad have you got them Chris? The sooner they find a legal way to get rid of them the better, as they know how to ruin a golf course!

Pretty bad on a few holes, we've been sheeting the affected greens since lockdown ended but in the last few days we've started a Nematode worm treatment, but when I played today there were some worms on the surface so they wont last long !

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Pretty bad on a few holes, we've been sheeting the affected greens since lockdown ended but in the last few days we've started a Nematode worm treatment, but when I played today there were some worms on the surface so they wont last long !
This won't be a treatment to kill earthworms.
The nematodes are microscopic worms which feed on the larvae of vine weevils, crane fly (leather jackets) or chafer fly.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/environment/2021/04/30/golf-courses-attack-crane-fly-larvae/

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
D

Deleted member 15344

A lot of clubs are struggling right now because of the amount of frost , lack of real growths days , lack of rain and the leather jackets -

There are some courses where there have been no issues at all with leather jackets etc - it wouldn’t surprise if some are still using chemicals to treat the greens

1113CEFF-3358-41C5-84C3-6ED8BE5AEFA9.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: