Preferred lies in may

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Preferred lies have been extended at my place for at least 3 more weeks. I'm guessing because the fairways are pretty patchy. The pro said its out of their control as April has been cold, dry and frosty so they haven't got the growth they expected. All other clubs in the area are OK though. Anyone's course struggling too?

D

Deleted member 3432

Don't worry, heatwave and drought just round the corner.....:ROFLMAO:

D

Deleted member 15344

It’s not surprising and lots of clubs will be the same - think at least three clubs in the area have been granted an extension, one thing is it allows the county to feel important

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
We’re not using preferred lies but another local club where I played yesterday is.

There have been all sorts of grumbles at ours, mainly focusing on the fact the course does not resemble Augusta National despite having no traffic for three months. When the detractors are asked how often they have had to mow their own lawns so far this year they soon zip it.

We simply aren’t seeing consistent growth, and therein lies the problem. I cannot believe how cold it is given it is nearly May.

??

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Ours is the same, greens, fairways, rough, no growth at all. Preferred lies on the fairways and bobbly greens.

You can have all the tech in the world, but if it is cold then it's not going to happen.

As an aside, I would have liked to have been in tee shirts by now, but it is currently three layers.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Ours is the same, greens, fairways, rough, no growth at all. Preferred lies on the fairways and bobbly greens.

You can have all the tech in the world, but if it is cold then it's not going to happen.

As an aside, I would have liked to have been in tee shirts by now, but it is currently three layers.

Only three?!

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
saw this tweeted earlier by Mill Hill, expect plenty of courses are struggling with lack of growth

Off topic but they are not at all the same shot - the one on the right looks like it's been properly exposed and processed - the one on the left (2021) is an overexposed snapshot - which is part of why it looks awful.

D

Deleted member 3432

Off topic but they are not at all the same shot - the one on the right looks like it's been properly exposed and processed - the one on the left (2021) is an overexposed snapshot - which is part of why it looks awful.

Greenkeeper is having to deal with mother nature just like his colleagues all over the country. Not much different to most years around here and nobodys moaning about it, its not raining day after day.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No growth on ours at all.
We have a bit of fusi scaring on the greens and it’s just not growing out.
Rest of the Course is good though but no rough to speak of.

D

Deleted member 23344

We still have preferred lies, as does the course I played at yesterday.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Our fairways are like late July/ august but the greens are very lush.a new sprinkler system is in and the greens are fantastic. We had a bit of rain last night, But you couldn’t tell

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Our course has been dry as a bone as it barely rained for about 3 weeks! But it rained last night and there should be some more this weekend. No idea if they have plans to extend preferred lies.

TigerBear

Visit site
Played at a friend's course in the south side of Glasgow. Was in a terrible state for this time of year.

Won't name it as it's not fair.

But it is usually an exceptional course with a brilliant reputation. I was really disappointed as the greens were an absolute mess.

Not much they can do as it's basically winter temperatures through the night.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have been given a extension by Dorset. I do not know if it is county wide.

I reckon we have had about 3 hours total rain throughout the whole of April. It was pretty much the same last April but we were in lockdown so probably no one noticed that much.

D

Deleted member 21445

Yeah same at Pleasington GC up North, preferred lies extended on a week by week basis.

Despite the warmish sunny last 2 weeks there is just no growth at all and its desperately needed