Prefered shot making

percy_layer

Challenge Tour Pro
www.davidord.com
I played yesterday and today in perfect golfing weather for shaping your shots, very little wind. Got thinking about different strategies that people use when shaping their shots. Assuming you can turn the ball both directions with your approach shots, would you:

a) start the ball to the edge of the green and turn the ball in to the pin, or
b) start the ball to the middle of the green and turn it out to the pin

When thinking about my game i realised i tend to play from the edge of the green into the pin more than from the middle of the green out to the pin. I felt comfortable doing it both ways but found this past couple days that my misses were worse when i put a bad swing on it when playing in from the edge of the green.

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Funny it seems this year I have started it at both edges of the green an turned it towards the bunkers,rough and anything else bar the pin.

From your numbers this year it seems your strategy has been much the same....you must me making great strides therefore!! :D ;)

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Im more worried about hitting it straight.....that way you can take dead aim and alot of iffing out of the equation regardless of where the pin is. ;)

percy_layer

Challenge Tour Pro
www.davidord.com
Funny it seems this year I have started it at both edges of the green an turned it towards the bunkers,rough and anything else bar the pin.

From your numbers this year it seems your strategy has been much the same....you must me making great strides therefore!! :D ;)

Playing a lot better than i did when slapping it round with a card in my hand earlier in the year, pity my next competitive round will probably be in May so plenty time to mess it up again.........

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'm more worried about finding it at all rather than trying to shape it either way. In theory I have the shots to move it both ways but in reality I'd rather play a straight shot to the heart of each green and go from there.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't understand. :D :D

Help....what's the question.

If I shape a shot, I take into account where the pin is located and the bunker placement etc.

Mostly, I just hit it. I tried to cut a couple in today and just pulled them, so I'm not much use to anyone anyway. :eek:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Funnily enough I tried to hit some fades today which I struggle with usually. With the work I'm doing on being more on top the ball at impact it made it a lot easier to get the clubhead through correctly. Off they went left of target before curling back in a treat. It can't last but for today at least I was happier than a Geordie football fan

Screwback

Tour Rookie
Visit site
well in the last 2 days i have played 27 holes and hit 25 greens in regulation and have never put 1 seconds thought into what part of the green i was aiming apart from at the pin, being a links course the greens are flat so take aim and make a pure strike..

jammydodger

Tour Winner
Visit site
Usually I would try to bring the ball in to the pin from the widest part of the green towards the pin. If its cut left then bring it in from the right and vice versa. Just trying not to get myself short-sided ( not always the case unfortunately)

However a lot of times I just go straight at it tbh

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Depends how far from the green I am. I'd say if the flag is on the left then I'm middle of the green playing a 5-10yd draw but if the flag is on the right then I'm straight at the flag trying for (at most) 3-4 yd draw.

jeffc

Head Pro
Visit site
Just hit it straight, there's enough going on and likely to go wrong without filling your head with more stuff.
Only time I think you could justify it is if the green is on a slope across you in which case you might want to draw /fade the ball into the slope to get it to stay on.

Having said all that most of the greens are quite small on my course so you wouldn't be trying to manouvre the ball any way.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
On the basis that I cannot draw a ball to save my life (except on very rare occasions with my hybrid) I would prefer a straight or slightly faded shot if called for.
Unfortunately, a lot of my intended straight shots become fades, draws, hooks, slices, fats, thins, shanks, tops etc. etc.
The only shot I haven't hit for years is the dreaded "air" but my guess is I'm capable of those as well given the opportunity.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I tend to just go for the middle of the green, unless the flag is right at the front or back. In which case I go for the flag. My stock shot is a draw, but can hit a nice soft fade from inside 100 yards.

funkyfred

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
On the basis that I cannot draw a ball to save my life (except on very rare occasions with my hybrid) I would prefer a straight or slightly faded shot if called for.
Unfortunately, a lot of my intended straight shots become fades, draws, hooks, slices, fats, thins, shanks, tops etc. etc.
The only shot I haven't hit for years is the dreaded "air" but my guess is I'm capable of those as well given the opportunity.

At my end of the handicap scale (25.3) all you want to do is hit it straight. So my 8/13 FIR (62%) on saturday morning was more than acceptable. YTD 50%

Decided to go out again in the afternoon, didn't finish the course and played 15 holes, but managed to rack up 9 out of 11 FIR (82%) the two I missed, one was no more than a few feet, and the other probably no more than 8 feet.

So straight is good, for me.

Smiffy, the dreaded air shot, must admit to one of those about six weeks ago. Trying to hit the green from about 350 yards.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Smiffy, the dreaded air shot, must admit to one of those about six weeks ago.

Can't honestly remember the last time I did one. Remember playing at Crowborough one day, mate of mine came up for a knock. He was fairly new to the game and had just had a course of lessons with the pro at Singing Hills. He was so excited to try out his new swing and stood on the first tee raring to go.
You should have seen the look on his face after his third (third) air shot. Wish I'd had a camera.

:D :D :D

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I remember some mates playing in a Texas scramble at our club and one of the guys was having a torrid time, especially getting his 4 drives away and they pleaded with him on the last hole, with his tee shot to count, to play an air shot as a duff on the particular hole would have put them in deep kak. I'm pleased to say he didn't succumb to their outrageous suggestion, and proceeded to top it into the deep kak! -- juctice done!

Chris