Practicing with headphones

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Does anyone else do this? I've started hitting the ball much better on the range since I've started listening to music. Any kind of music really, as long as it doesn't have a particularly fast tempo.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
I remember Chris Wood saying in an interview it’s the thing that annoys him the most seeing juniors practice as they can’t hear strike etc.

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
Does anyone else do this? I've started hitting the ball much better on the range since I've started listening to music. Any kind of music really, as long as it doesn't have a particularly fast tempo.

Yes, praise the lord for wireless headphones although I do prefer to opt for EarPods at times for discretion however it's not as obvious as you're effectively deaf to the outside world.

I get through quite a lot of hans zimmer down the practice ground and on the putting greens etc.

If it wasn't so anti-social I honestly think i'd play golf much better from a mental aspect if I could actually play whilst listening to music, I find I can enter the zone a lot deeper with the right music.

Last edited:

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
I remember Chris Wood saying in an interview it’s the thing that annoys him the most seeing juniors practice as they can’t hear strike etc.

Understand his point entirely but everyone has their preferences. Rory loves him some music during practice time.

Wolf

Visit site
Absolutely do this quite often at the range, wish I'd done it last night as well instead of hearing a load of the garbage from others there last night.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes, praise the lord for wireless headphones although I do prefer to opt for EarPods at times for discretion however it's not as obvious as you're effectively deaf to the outside world.

I get through quite a lot of hans zimmer down the practice ground and on the putting greens etc.

If it wasn't so anti-social I honestly think i'd play golf much better from a mental aspect if I could actually play whilst listening to music, I find I can enter the zone a lot deeper with the right music.

It is not just anti social whilst playing it also against the rules of golf if you are using the phones to cut out distractions.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Interesting. I don't have the music up that loud, so I can still hear the strike a bit. Also, you can feel the strike and I would say that gives me better feedback than the noise anyway...

D

Deleted member 16999

It is not just anti social whilst playing it also against the rules of golf if you are using the phones to cut out distractions.
What if it’s music from an ipod? (Or other generic music devices)

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
What if it’s music from an ipod? (Or other generic music devices)

The rules in this case don't state 'phones' from my memory, they're referred to as devices to cover the whole spectrum.

I wouldn't really care for such rules when I'm playing practice rounds however, I'm not getting any advantage on anybody when I'm testing myself.

D

Deleted member 16999

Depends on what the music is for, Rule 4.3 a (4)

Audio and Video.
  • Allowed.
    • Listening to audio or watching video on matters unrelated to the competition being played (such as a news report or background music).
    • But in doing so, consideration should be shown to others (see Rule 1.2).
  • Not Allowed.
    • Listening to music or other audio to eliminate distractions or to help with swing tempo, or
    • Viewing video showing play of the player or other players during the competition that helps the player in choosing a club, making a stroke, or deciding how to play during the round.
Then goes on to say a committee can introduce a local rule prohibiting audio and video equipment.

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Not sure how much it affects my golf, but just habit from my previous sport, I prefer to keep my ears uncovered, for the proprioception benefit.

Doesn't really bother me what others do and don't do.

On a related topic, often at ranges, I see situations where young kids are being a bit noisy, talking a lot, laughing or similar, and I see people get visibly annoyed at this but don't do anything about it. This sort of thing doesn't bother me, but if it did, I would have no hope on the course in any competition if I can't even hit range balls with what is a minor distraction. People should appreciate the chance to practice their focus, rather than getting annoyed. Although I suspect it's more a case of having a scapegoat for miss-hits, rather than being a real cause.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
One of our scratch players plays on the course by himself two to three afternoons with wireless headphones on. If you catch up with him he's happy to take them off and join up if you want 👍

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have seen people using them at the range but for me it's more often than not a distraction. I have tried it and had earphones for a tempo app to try and slow the swing and have played music too.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not sure how much it affects my golf, but just habit from my previous sport, I prefer to keep my ears uncovered, for the proprioception benefit.

Doesn't really bother me what others do and don't do.

On a related topic, often at ranges, I see situations where young kids are being a bit noisy, talking a lot, laughing or similar, and I see people get visibly annoyed at this but don't do anything about it. This sort of thing doesn't bother me, but if it did, I would have no hope on the course in any competition if I can't even hit range balls with what is a minor distraction. People should appreciate the chance to practice their focus, rather than getting annoyed. Although I suspect it's more a case of having a scapegoat for miss-hits, rather than being a real cause.
When we practiced together before a scratch game we used to deliberately make noises and generally mess about .
This does teach you good focus and little things don’t put you off as much.

As for headphones I can’t even walk in them never mind golf, but dosnt bother me if others use them.

Birdie2

Club Champion
Visit site
I like to listen to strike and have never tried it. I tend to find that entering a practice session with a good mind set is key. If I’ve got something on my mind that’s stressing me out then I’ll avoid practicing because I’ve learnt I don’t approach hitting balls in the right way.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I like to listen to strike and have never tried it. I tend to find that entering a practice session with a good mind set is key. If I’ve got something on my mind that’s stressing me out then I’ll avoid practicing because I’ve learnt I don’t approach hitting balls in the right way.
This. Strike tells me a lot but I agree about the mind set. I think if you've had a busy or stressful day in work, sub-consciously you're never relaxed and tempo can be really quick. I also try and stick to a routine, so a batch working on technique, then a batch focusing on a target and forgetting technique.

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Used to wear them when I was sneaking a lonely 18 in back in the NW, when I moved to London I figured it was safer not to just incase I missed a Fore! shout as the holes were a bit more tightly packed.

GOLFER1994

Head Pro
Visit site
I wore my headphones at the driving range for the first time yesterday. Felt a bit weird but enjoyed having music playing but next time i will definitely use the end bay, I chose the first bay as you walk in and I didn't like people walking past and not being able to hear . Felt like i was being crept up on:ROFLMAO: