Practicing at home

YamiKuriboh

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hello, i'm thinking of getting a net and mat for home to keep the swing tuned on days when i'm not playing. Feel it would be cheaper than going to the nets constantly. I'm not sure if, even with a net, I should use those plastic golf balls.

Do people practice at home? Can anyone recommend any equipment that have used which is good?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I used to practice at home with airflow balls - a perfectly struck wedge would fly over the roof and finish in the front garden. A badly struck wedge would leave the ball in the gutter so I stopped doing it.

Tiger Woods

Medal Winner
Visit site
I do a lot of practice at home when my body allows, its nothing special but gets me by when I can't get to the range.

Attachments

• article-2387263-1B359862000005DC-817_634x441.jpg
    article-2387263-1B359862000005DC-817_634x441.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 44

Chokeahontas

Medal Winner
Visit site
Get your putter, a few balls and a cup. Practice at home, sorted.

I don't think you learn much about ball striking from hitting off a mat into a net. If you're looking to work on swing, swing tempo and swing thoughts, you don't need to hit a ball. I've got an Orange Whip, it's very good for training tempo.

El Diablo

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We have a 3m x 3m x 3m net which means that full shots can be hit - very thick galvanised steel, arrived on a truck ! (Also use it for archery).

Beauty of the net is you learn to focus on swing changes and not get caught up on ball flight and direction - with a mobile phone and a tripod you can film and check your progress - though after plenty of use you know exactly what sort of shot you have hit in terms of direction etc.

Go to the range later and work on the next phases.

Only one shot has got away in the 3 years we have had it - a massive shank, hit a corner post flew past my ear over the fence and clattered next doors conservatory at high velocity.

I sheepishly went round straight away as the guy works from home to apologise (he heard it but no idea what had happened) and fortunately no damage !

xcore

Head Pro
Visit site
Iv been recently banned by the misses for testing how strong double glazing is in the living room, turns out its surprisingly so.

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
We have a 3m x 3m x 3m net which means that full shots can be hit - very thick galvanised steel, arrived on a truck ! (Also use it for archery).

Beauty of the net is you learn to focus on swing changes and not get caught up on ball flight and direction - with a mobile phone and a tripod you can film and check your progress - though after plenty of use you know exactly what sort of shot you have hit in terms of direction etc.

Go to the range later and work on the next phases.

Only one shot has got away in the 3 years we have had it - a massive shank, hit a corner post flew past my ear over the fence and clattered next doors conservatory at high velocity.

I sheepishly went round straight away as the guy works from home to apologise (he heard it but no idea what had happened) and fortunately no damage !

I've been trying to convince the wife to let me put one of these up in the garden. I've got the perfect spot all lined up. So far it's a no go but I've got my youngest daughter hooked recently so I'm trying to get her to badger her! Think I may have to scale down the 3x3x3. I think I'll have to do mine in timber and already sourced the netting, got some scaffold netting from the bay for £30, 3mx50m so can double it up.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I Had a net a few years ago but hardly ever used it and it ended up as protection from birds on the raised veg beds.

We do have a large garden and i can easily hit a 100 -120 yard shot from one corner to the other, but i don't do that very often. do chip on the main bit of the lawn, 50 yards to a couple of buckets.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Bought a net a few years ago but it was a bit of a hassle to put up, sort of like a tent construction with poles and stuff, so my advice would be to get something that is easily erected.

I used it a few times and sold it again, just didn't get anything from it, do you ever warm up into the nets? What do you learn other than making solid contacts? I think without seeing the ball flight you're only getting half the information you need. That siad it seems to work for some of the folks above, so maybe itll work for you.

BoadieBroadus

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'm in the process of setting a net / matt arrangement in my garage which is just big enough, but no drivers.

There is the risk that a shank might kill me so I'm stuck with the foam balls, my skypro says it should pick up the strike, so we'll see how I get on.