Practice or Pro?

Basher

Tour Winner
yorkshiregolf.proboards.com
As some of you will already know, my putting generally ruins my scorecard.

After todays round I definitely know this part of my game simply has to improve.

How do I go about it?

Is it best to go off the books and videos and simply practice, practice, practice? Or would it be wiser to seek the help of a Pro?

Never having had a putting lesson, what is the general format that a Pro goes through whilst instructing on putting?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Basher, what's the problem...distance, direction or both?
If you can post a couple of vids of your stroke on you tube from head on and down the line, I'm sure we can help :)

feary

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I think if you practise you need to be practising the right thing. So i advise pro, then practise.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Pro for me.

I had a putting lesson a few months back and it has tranformed my stroke. I was standing too far over the ball with my shoulders closed and stance open (go figure). Once we got the set up right and got the putter in a more neutral position it was easy to put a good stoke on it and keep the blade facing the hole through impact (mine closed to the left). With t a bit of hard work on the putting green at the club I'm pretty confident on everything within 5 feet now. If it doesn't go in it will scare the hole now which wasn't always the case. It has made it easier to judge distances from long range too

Basher

Tour Winner
yorkshiregolf.proboards.com
I think if you practise you need to be practising the right thing.

Exactly what I was thinking. It's one thing spending lots of time practising, but if you practise the wrong way I'd imagine it very difficult to improve.

I presume the best way forward would be to seek the instruction of a pro then practise his teachings!

Bob, I tend to leave a lot of my putts from distance short. I've lost count the number of pulled and pushed putts I've done. Even many on target putts simply lip out for some bizarre reason!
3 putting has become normal lately, with some, almost gimmee 3 footers going wide.