Poulter abused by fans at Players

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15344

https://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/news...-abusive-fans-idiots-cant-handle-beers-175526

Now Poulter is certainly marmite for some - some people like his passion but some find it cringe but it’s a shame that this keeps happening on US soil

Now for me a small part of this must be aimed forwards the PGA and their “encouragement” towards fans behaviour on the 17th at Phoenix where players are abused throughout at times in a poor manner but it’s seen as “fun”

When it comes to the Ryder Cup it at times got very vile - the 98 at Brookline being the worst but generally at the European ones it’s a bit more “ civilised” but every now and then the US crowds still get a bit too much- Valhalla and 2016 a few people got thrown out etc

So what should the PGA do about this before this get really bad ? Alcohol no longer served ? Does it need something like that.

Boabski

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I thought I heard stuff being shouted at Poulter when watching the players, Poults should call these idiots out , Mclroy did it during a Ryder cup and got the guy launched out. I agree that the stewards and others in the crowd should police this better

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
American crowds are dragging it down, I don't understand the mentality of the ever increasing minority.

It seems to be part and parcel of the atmosphere nowadays but adult men screaming moronic one liners makes little sense to me.

Tiger saw the funny side of this person in the crowd wearing a mugshot t-shirt at least, but the person wearing the shirt comes across as a proper bell to me....

It does make me think that half of these idiots are drunk groups of fraternity students or similar trying to outdo each other maybe not even golf fans.

https://www.sportsgossip.com/golf/tiger-woods-really-enjoyed-a-fan-wearing-his-mugshot-on-a-t-shirt

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
There has to be change at every level. That’ll shift a cultural change toward that kind of behaviour.

The PGA need to set clear boundaries and enforce them. The players need to have their voice heard through media and players associations. And the good fans need to voice their opinion toward the hecklers via media and at events.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
There was an incident a year or two ago with Justin Thomas.

I think the original incident was a fan shouting for Thomas's ball to get in the bunker.

Thomas happened to catch exactly who the culprit was and had him thrown out.

This seemed to turn fans against him at the time and they seemed to think that Thomas had been too quick to get the guy thrown out and should just have taken it on the chin.

Thomas eventually released a statement saying he shouldn't have done that and was sorry for getting the guy thrown out. I assume the PGA tour had been involved in getting him to back down.

mister v

Visit site
Fast forward to when the Ryder Cup is going to be at Bethpage Black in New York. That will be the end of that event.
I'm in complete agreement, next years ryder cup in Whistling Straits will be a nightmare but new york will be a complete mongfest. Unless the USGA sort out the gobby twats the ryder cup will be the scene of the first proper fighting between fans.
Its like the Americans just cant stop their mouths!

D

Deleted member 1147

Fast forward to when the Ryder Cup is going to be at Bethpage Black in New York. That will be the end of that event.
I remember when Paddy Reed won one of the FEDEX playoff events there a couple of years ago, they gave him a load of stick & abuse, and he's one of their's!
Christ knows what a Ryder Cup there will be like

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
https://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/news...-abusive-fans-idiots-cant-handle-beers-175526

Now Poulter is certainly marmite for some - some people like his passion but some find it cringe but it’s a shame that this keeps happening on US soil

Now for me a small part of this must be aimed forwards the PGA and their “encouragement” towards fans behaviour on the 17th at Phoenix where players are abused throughout at times in a poor manner but it’s seen as “fun”

When it comes to the Ryder Cup it at times got very vile - the 98 at Brookline being the worst but generally at the European ones it’s a bit more “ civilised” but every now and then the US crowds still get a bit too much- Valhalla and 2016 a few people got thrown out etc

So what should the PGA do about this before this get really bad ? Alcohol no longer served ? Does it need something like that.

Thought I heard Rich Beem say that there wasn't any alcohol served at the players? Might be wrong though.

I hate the idea that a few idiots can spoil a few beers for thousands though!

Hoganman1

Visit site
I agree with most of you that some of these events are getting out of hand. Obviously, The Masters is always good because Augusta National controls their patrons and bad behavior is simply not tolerated. Meanwhile, it seems the Ryder Cup is getting worse. I live in the US and I'm embarrassed by the behavior of some of our "fans". Maybe I'm wrong but this doesn't seem to as much of a problem in other countries. One of the drawbacks of efforts to expand golf's fan base is that many of the attendees are only there to get drunk and act the fool to get on social media or TV. Frankly, I wish these fans would stick to NASCAR or Pro Wrestling. I've stopped attending football and basketball games because of the behavior of some of the fans. Here's hoping this won't become more of a problem at golf tournaments even though it appears to be heading in that direction.