Possible implications of buying a hybrid with too stiff a shaft?

Joff

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Was looking to replace my TM R11s 5w, with a hybrid of similar loft.
The 5w has a stiff shaft, and it used to be used frequently, but recently has been redundent of late. Not sure why, so decided to get something of similar loft in a hybrid.

Onto ebay and spent a week looking, and came across a lovely Adams pro 18°. In X-stiff. Am I going to be able to get it in the air???

No idea of swing speed etc, the rest of my setup is all stiff.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
There is no industry standard for "Stiff". One brands stiff is anothers X and anothers R.

If the shaft is too stiff for you however, you might tend to hook it.

Edit, also there are different grades of stiff within brands.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Think you would be better off finding one in S flex rather than having an X flex because its available. Depends on the specific shaft of course but theoretically should need more loading and just by knowing you may try and hit it a bit harder

Joff

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Can't get a stiff now, already purchased!

I'd rather end up right than left tbf. All the danger on my course is left!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I have no problem with an X-Flex Aldila in an 18* Pro I borrowed (and now own) a few weeks ago!

Stiff is my standard.

Will probably fly a little lower (what I prefer) and maybe tend to go right (for a rightee) though. A Pro mate hooks anything stiffer than Regular - presumably his hands 'compensate'!

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I chanced a project x 6.5 19 hybrid mizuno jpx850.

Certainly flies lower. Love it into the wind. Mid flight, low spin bullets. It is useful off the tee.

Not great for flying and holding greens but I use my 5 wood for that as it goes high and lands soft around a similar distance.

Joff

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I don't mind lower. Tend to hit a fairly low ball anyway. £47 delivered was too good to turn down. Looks unused too. Hope it's legit.

Joff

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Doubt it'll arrive by tomorrow, so will find out in one of our majors on Saturday!

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
The conventional answer is that you would hit it low, right and possibly lose some distance. If it a lot too stiff then you may not be able to flight the ball at all. But people are different and some compensate for not being able to get the club head back to the ball by using their hands so anything could happen then.

You could consider contacting Adams UK and telling them you accidentally bought the wrong flex and ask if there is any chance they would swap out the shaft for you.

Hendy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I had a mp6300 driver that was rto stiff for me.

Could not get any high in it unless it was a perfect hit mostly low and sliceing right due to not getting through the ball fast enough

shortstuff

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Was looking to replace my TM R11s 5w, with a hybrid of similar loft.
The 5w has a stiff shaft, and it used to be used frequently, but recently has been redundent of late. Not sure why, so decided to get something of similar loft in a hybrid.

Onto ebay and spent a week looking, and came across a lovely Adams pro 18°. In X-stiff. Am I going to be able to get it in the air???

No idea of swing speed etc, the rest of my setup is all stiff.

Aaah! Don't buy without fitting! How many times do we have to repeat this message? The TM 'stiff' is not as stiff as most other brands so you might really mess up buying an X-stiff.