Possible Golf membership Interview questions ???

nyckuk

Visit site
Ive Got a online membership Interview for a new club tomorrow.
I've never had one before , whats the typical questions that are asked
Ive got a few questions i need to ask them also

thanks

G1z1

Visit site
Interested to see what people say in this thread. I have been on the waiting list for a club for a while now and was told to expect my interview spring 2022

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
They’ll probably ask how long you’ve been playing, types of courses, handicap etc to gauge your experience , potential standard of etiquette.

They may also ask what colour castle tee’s you use and what side you stand when someone is taking their shots.

All jokes aside I’d spend tonight assessing what you want from your membership as this is as much about you getting what you want opposed to just giving them £1-4K and make sure your questions are answered:

1) are comps drawn or in pre determined groups.
2) is it a tee booking system!
3) what does the club do to help you integrate (swindles etc)
4) limitations on guests?
5) is it members only at weekends?
Etc etc etc

D

Deleted member 23270

Tell them you are interested in joining all the club activities like competitions, matches, social events etc. Clubs like people that integrate and take part.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Ive Got a online membership Interview for a new club tomorrow.
I've never had one before , whats the typical questions that are asked
Ive got a few questions i need to ask them also

thanks
Without trying to take the **** too much if they are really going to do this I guess they would want to ask;

Have you played for long and if so where?
Have you been a member of another club?
Do you have or have you ever had a handicap?
Do you know many people at the club?
Are you interested in playing in club competitions?
Are you interested in representing the club if selected?
Do you (and your partner?) want to attend social events at the club?
Will your cheque bounce?

Not sure I'd want to join a club where I had to pass an interview to be honest but your call.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I actually like the fact they are interviewing. Most of the clubs around here are full and a lot of this is from complete newbies who have no knowledge of the game, etiquette or basic rules. I’m not saying a newbie to the sport needs to be outcasted by any means or limited to p&p only, but it’s also a clubs responsibility to ensure accepting a new member does now have detrimental effect of others and how they enjoy their game.

I had both a face to face interview with the junior organiser as well as a trial round with the junior captain and the organiser to check things like on course behaviour, did I rake bunkers, repair pitchmarks, replace divots, maintain pace of play and so on…. Courses are simply not doing this at the moment.

I’d be quite happy to join a course where they wanted to screen me first although no doubt I’d be black balled.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I had an interview at Newport... it was pretty informal and actually very welcoming. They were definitely selling the club to me, rather than trying to find reasons to decline the application.

View it positively. Its an opportunity to see if you actually want to join. On meeting the committee, you might not!?

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Our interviews at Ellesborough were really good, they explained the set up , how it worked and weren’t too worried about my golfing prowess ( which is sadly lacking)

Wasn’t a problem and was quite enlightening

benjo09

Visit site
Mine at my club was very informal last year. Was a Zoom meeting with other new members and were each asked a few questions about golfing history then they talked about the club a bit and asked if we had any questions for them. Only took about 30 mins and then they told us all to expect an email with payment details in the next few minutes and that was that.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
A friend of my Father in Law is on the committee at Royal Lytham and he was saying how quite a prominent local businessman had fared in his interview for RL.

Apparently one of the questions is worded around how it is a large financial commitment to join and had the applicant ensured that their family were comfortable with such a commitment. The fella apparently answered "well I earn the money so I dont need permission from her to spend it".

When the interview came to a close he apparently took out the buy-in value in cash out of a bag and placed it on the desk, only to be told that it wouldn't be required as he wasn't the sort of individual RL were looking for. ?

steadyon

Hacker
Visit site
Over th3 years I’ve been interviewed twice when joining clubs. Both were not especially expensive. Both were really welcoming, good experiences. They were (I think) always going to say yes. The captain said afterwards at one of them that if you look like you’ve got no idea about etiquette, raking bunkers, repairing pitch marks etc, they take you out with one of the committee a few times and show you how to go on.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I actually like the fact they are interviewing. Most of the clubs around here are full and a lot of this is from complete newbies who have no knowledge of the game, etiquette or basic rules. I’m not saying a newbie to the sport needs to be outcasted by any means or limited to p&p only, but it’s also a clubs responsibility to ensure accepting a new member does now have detrimental effect of others and how they enjoy their game.

I had both a face to face interview with the junior organiser as well as a trial round with the junior captain and the organiser to check things like on course behaviour, did I rake bunkers, repair pitchmarks, replace divots, maintain pace of play and so on…. Courses are simply not doing this at the moment.

I’d be quite happy to join a course where they wanted to screen me first although no doubt I’d be black balled.
Some good points

sunshine

Visit site
I assume this is a private club. I note that this is an online interview, so it will be harder for them to pick up the secret signals without shaking hands.

If this was in the US, they might ask you silly questions like if you preferred to shout mashed potato or light the candle after a good drive. In the UK you can expect to be asked a range of important questions such as:
- How many parking spaces should be allocated for the committee?
- What is your view of the flower arrangement in the entrance hall? This is a trap, answer carefully as the lady members petitioned for this at the AGM.
- How many tee times should be made available on Saturday morning for the seniors swindle?
- Are knee high black socks acceptable attire with shorts?
- Should the club invest additional joining fees from new members into new greenkeeping equipment or a new commemorative plaque to recognise the success of the mixed bridge team?