Poor etiquette or me just being a whinge ?

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Tonight, not for the first time, probably dozens of times one of our PP's just keeps yapping on the tee while I'm about to tee off. He then does it again on another hole when another one of the guys is about to tee off.

I don't believe he's doing it intentionally however, I mentioned it on the 5th, he said, you should be concentrating too much for it to bother you, again, 6th tee he's at it again, so I mention it again, this time he gets a bit annoyed with me. Few holes later as I'm hitting my approach to 11, his motocady starts moving within a few feet of me on my back swing. :sbox: I stop and say...a few words that will get me banned again from here but you get the jist...

So am I just a whinge or is he out of order, it's really starting to get on my man boobs.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

He is clearly in the wrong. He should be more respectful of your requests for quiet when you are about to take your shot

The first time you would expect a little sorry from him and then not to do it again - to keep doing it shows a lack of etiquette and you are in the right to be annoyed at him

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
The thing is, he's yapping as I step up to the ball, I do so fully expecting him to see I'm about to play, but he keeps on going, like I say I'm not sure he's doing it intentionally but to then say I should be concentrating too much to notice is like he feels he isn't doing anything wrong.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
L.P. is right, as are you. Out of interest what would his reaction be if you told a joke, starting singing etc when he went on to the tee? I mean really over the top behaviour. Would he stop and look at you or ask you to stop? Just thinking whether a little show would bring home how annoying his behaviour is?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
It's a bad habit he has got into, that he needs to get out of. Disrespectful.

A few years ago, a guy I knew was playing with two others for the first time. His wife rang him on the mobile three times in the first three holes. What time will you be in, what do you want for dinner, what sort of potatos do you want. He was told if his phone rings again it will be buried in the bunker with him. They never played with him again. He used to get on the tee and think he was on a stage. He would talk nonsense for an age.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
L.P. is right, as are you. Out of interest what would his reaction be if you told a joke, starting singing etc when he went on to the tee? I mean really over the top behaviour. Would he stop and look at you or ask you to stop? Just thinking whether a little show would bring home how annoying his behaviour is?

I suspect he thinks I'm just whinging for the sake of it but I doubt if I repeated it to him it would make much difference to his game but it bothers me and mine.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The guy sounds like a royal pain in the neck. I'd try and be as polite as I could but after a few holes I'd be making my point very clearly and if it continued, chances are I'd bin him and the game after nine. Couldn't be doing with it. I think the others in the group also need to put him in his place

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
Tonight, not for the first time, probably dozens of times one of our PP's just keeps yapping on the tee while I'm about to tee off. He then does it again on another hole when another one of the guys is about to tee off.

I don't believe he's doing it intentionally however, I mentioned it on the 5th, he said, you should be concentrating too much for it to bother you, again, 6th tee he's at it again, so I mention it again, this time he gets a bit annoyed with me. Few holes later as I'm hitting my approach to 11, his motocady starts moving within a few feet of me on my back swing. :sbox: I stop and say...a few words that will get me banned again from here but you get the jist...

So am I just a whinge or is he out of order, it's really starting to get on my man boobs.

Poor show, out of order and I'll bet your quiet for him.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
The guy sounds like a royal pain in the neck. I'd try and be as polite as I could but after a few holes I'd be making my point very clearly and if it continued, chances are I'd bin him and the game after nine. Couldn't be doing with it. I think the others in the group also need to put him in his place

Problem is, he's a really likeable guy and genuinely don't think he's doing it on purpose and my issue is I can't just ignore it and also can't just not say something about it.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Problem is, he's a really likeable guy and genuinely don't think he's doing it on purpose and my issue is I can't just ignore it and also can't just not say something about it.
ask him (“ is me playing golf interfering with your conversation, as I will wait”)
Just stand there until he is finished.
When he shuts up ask him if “it’s ok for you to continue playing”

This usually works but if not I don’t care how nice a guy he is he would not be playing with me again!

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
"I'll wait till you shut up," usually works. Do it a few times and he'll get the message, especially as you step away from the ball and start your routine all over again.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Sounds all to familiar and not the first time it has happened to me, I suppose you should just suck it up and get on with your game.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
"I'll wait till you shut up," usually works. Do it a few times and he'll get the message, especially as you step away from the ball and start your routine all over again.

His reply of "you should be concentrating on your shot too much to notice tells me he thinks it isn't a big deal.

Franco

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I find the stfu in tone if not in words works for me. It is important to speak to him before making your stroke. Do not behave like him when he is on the tee, that makes your behaviour as bad as his. Next time you play with him, make it clear to him before the first tee, that you wish him to be silent when you are about to play a stroke.

MartynB

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Stand there refusing to address the ball until he shuts up. He is out of order and a little selfish nice guy or not.