Poor etiquette or me just being a whinge ?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Sounds all to familiar and not the first time it has happened to me, I suppose you should just suck it up and get on with your game.

I don't agree.
If I am quiet while he takes his shot, he should be quiet while I take mine.
If he can't or won't be quiet then he can find a new playing partner.

hines57

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
set up to the ball. If he is talking, walk away. Set up again, if he is talking walk way......

Do this a few times and he and your other PPs should hopefully get the message and maybe they'll start to tell him to quiet down!!!!!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I'll tell you on the first tee on the 30th while you are about to hit the ball if its poor etiquette or not, then again on the 2nd etc;)

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
His reply of "you should be concentrating on your shot too much to notice tells me he thinks it isn't a big deal.
Then the response of "you should be concentrating on letting me play my shot rather than spouting off all the time" should be yours.
To be honest the response of "just gonnay STFU!" usually works up here.

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Tonight, not for the first time, probably dozens of times one of our PP's just keeps yapping on the tee while I'm about to tee off. He then does it again on another hole when another one of the guys is about to tee off.

I don't believe he's doing it intentionally however, I mentioned it on the 5th, he said, you should be concentrating too much for it to bother you, again, 6th tee he's at it again, so I mention it again, this time he gets a bit annoyed with me. Few holes later as I'm hitting my approach to 11, his motocady starts moving within a few feet of me on my back swing. :sbox: I stop and say...a few words that will get me banned again from here but you get the jist...

So am I just a whinge or is he out of order, it's really starting to get on my man boobs.
He has no right to say the bit in bold above. It is your right to not have people talking and distracting you when playing a shot. Well within your rights to have a go if he won't shut up after several requests.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
These people are a pain in the backside.

Your fellow players need to grab hold of him and hold a hand over his mouth so he can't talk while you (and then they) take to the Tee. Hopefully he'll see the funny side and get the message.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
They are...and I find that if I have asked for quiet and it is not forthcoming I might adopt my mother's approach to when I wasn't doing what she had asked me to do. And that would involve simply stepping away from my ball and standing there saying nothing. And then when the chatterbox realised what was not happening (me teeing off) and fell silent for a moment - I'd just say 'thankyou' and step up to the ball.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
It doesn’t bother me, but I’m quiet for everybody else.

Playing a singles matchplay at the brabazon last week (20 of us) and everyone was deathly quiet on the first tee.

I stopped on the tee. Looked at everyone and said it weren’t this quiet on the tee at the Ryder cup and got some chants going.

Pro am yesterday. Plenty of chatter and banter while we played.

Aslong as somebody doesn’t pull out a air horn on the backswing it doesn’t bother me. I can chat and swing. It helps with tension.

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com
He's out of order.

He may not be doing it on purpose but then a new golfer that walks on your line of putt isn't doing it on purpose.

He only needs to stop talking for a minute.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
The line, "treat others how you would expect to be treated yourself", rings true here, but I guess that may not work as he probably won't be bothered by the chat.

I'd say he would be bothered by a sudden noise, like a regular sneeze just as he's on his down stroke.

Or if he has an electric trolley, set it away up the fairway and say is that your trolley and watch him run after it, while yelling "Fenton!!!" as he runs after it.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

Playing a singles matchplay at the brabazon last week (20 of us) and everyone was deathly quiet on the first tee.

I stopped on the tee. Looked at everyone and said it weren’t this quiet on the tee at the Ryder cup and got some chants going.

Aslong as somebody doesn’t pull out a air horn on the backswing it doesn’t bother me. I can chat and swing. It helps with tension.

No probs with chatter and banter on the tee - right up to the point of me taking final address - then I expect just a few seconds silence as that is all we are talking about. And then the banter and joshing can resume as my ball disappears in the boondocks.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

I'm in agreement TBH, doesn't bother me. we have a guy is our group who always talks though you playing so got used to it. In fact ive even been known to carry on talking to him as well while i'm hitting my shot;)