Poll: Would you like to see shot penalties for slow play?

Would you like to see shot penalties for slow play?

• Yes

Votes: 54 81.8%
  • No

Votes: 12 18.2%

• Total voters

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Stacy Lewis had a lot to say about slow play including handing out shot penalties for the slow coaches... yes or no? Please show workings/the inner workings of your minds

I would like to see if an official is there and you take too long, you should get shots. I would honestly like to see that. Because I think as a tour, we need to make this game more enjoyable, make it more fun to watch. Carlota Ciganda got a penalty shot at the Match Play, she had a loss of hole and it lost the match. I mean, it was harsh. Everyone initially was, wow. I don't know if she was out of position or not, but it is harsh, and it looks harsh to the media and everybody on the outside. But I do think we need that. Because you start playing with shots that affects where you are on the leaderboard, affects how much money you're making, it affects your status at the end of the year. That affect things a lot more than $1,000 fine does ultimately. I'm okay with it and I'd like to see more of it.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Possibly. I think it is a little blunt right now, with a whole group put 'on the clock' even if one of them is not being slow. It is also interesting that lower profile players or foreigners tend to get penalised, even though some big name players are slower than evolution. Those players know how to game the system.

The day a US household name and tournament leader is slapped with a penalty on the 17th is the day I believe the PGA Tour is serious about this.

Steve Wilkes

Visit site
No. It makes hardly any difference, how many people watch or are watching on TV The Cazoo Classic from the London Club today, very minimal numbers, would they increase 10 fold if they started going round in 15 to 30 minutes quicker?.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
No, even if you overcome the massive challenge of application across 156 players and across 4 days, penalties will be dished out to the less known names before the fan favourite and I don't really want a winner decided by a penalty stroke issued for slow play anyway
As TV viewers the pace has very minimal effect to the event if TV production is done well

In saying the above the game at all levels wouldn't suffer if pace was improved so something should be done to improve it but I don't believe stroke penalties are the answer

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I vote yes because slow players affect the games of faster players behind or playing with you.

On the tour the way it is going they will have to reduce the field size so so they can all get round before dark. So there will less opportunity less for players to join the tour and get a game.

Not sure if it is just my memory but I think I remember that at one time it was 80 and ties getting through to 2nd and 3rd rounds now it is 65 and ties.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I voted yes as there is no reason why they should be taking so long. It's a habit they've all got into and needs to be addressed.
Alternatively instead of docking shots, remove one club from their bag every time they go too slow. Putter first, then driver, then wedge would be my favourite. :devilish:

D

Deleted member 23270

No. It makes hardly any difference, how many people watch or are watching on TV The Cazoo Classic from the London Club today, very minimal numbers, would they increase 10 fold if they started going round in 15 to 30 minutes quicker?.
But it's not about that. All the wannabee pros watch on TV and copy what they see, hence 5hr medal rounds for club members.
Stamp out slow play, no dicking about just penalise them. The game will soon speed up.

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Possibly. I think it is a little blunt right now, with a whole group put 'on the clock' even if one of them is not being slow. It is also interesting that lower profile players or foreigners tend to get penalised, even though some big name players are slower than evolution. Those players know how to game the system.

The day a US household name and tournament leader is slapped with a penalty on the 17th is the day I believe the PGA Tour is serious about this.

Happened on the ET a few years back….last group on 16 or 17 last round….but they don’t publicise it….

Steve Wilkes

Visit site
But it's not about that. All the wannabee pros watch on TV and copy what they see, hence 5hr medal rounds for club members.
Stamp out slow play, no dicking about just penalise them. The game will soon speed up.
Do you really think the seeing the Pros rushing around is going to make your medals rounds quicker, I've been playing since the 1970's and when courses are busy it has always taken up to 5 hours to play

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes 100%. It's a blight on the game.

Contrary to the thoughts of some on here golfers are there to entertain, yes they are, and slow play goes against that. They can play quicker, they have chosen not to and now it is largely habit. We need to break that habit and docking shots is likely to be more effective than the paltry fines that clearly do not work.