Votes: 1 0.5%
  • PXG

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • Other

Votes: 30 16.2%

• Total voters

Swango1980

Visit site
I'm trying to convince myself to buy new irons (not really worried about cost, just laziness has prevented me up to now). I use Pings, and as the HQ is close to me, am likely to get custom fitted for Ping again. I use I15's, which are pretty ancient, and I got them second hand.

Anyway, I thought I'd do a poll to see what irons others use (or at least prefer personally).

I probably fancy a new driver as well, and for same reasons above likely stick with PING. I know people's choice of driver manufacturer may be very different to their preference in irons, but I leave that poll for another day.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ping - G25's for me. They have a reputation for being quiet forgiving and quite timeless and that suits. I'm very happy with them and don't see me changing anytime soon, although as any amateur golfer knows that coud mean next week :LOL:

If I was replacing them I am pretty likely to go Ping again, just a newer version.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Callaway Steelhead XRs - I've had them 4 or 5 years now. Back then I tried a bunch of irons that were out at the time, being a higher handicapper I ended up going for the ones that felt most forgiving, and have slightly lighter shafts I believe. Funnily enough I recently had a look at that Maltby forgiveness index and they were rated some of the most forgiving irons of the last decade.

I had a fitting for Orkas last year, but for some reason hitting indoors at a screen put me right off and I pretty much shanked half of them, ended up leaving without him even charging me for the session. :LOL: Scared to try again now so I'll stick with what I have, haha. In fairness because of the strong lofts I only have 4 of the iron set in my bag anyway.

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My last two sets have been Mizuno and I've not got a single criticism on quality or looks, I will probably be looking to replace my present set this year, almost certainly with another set from the Mizuno range.

Drivers are a different issue in my mind, I think the shaft/head combinations can have a much bigger effect on performance and suitability on a driver than with irons.

SimonC

Head Pro
Visit site
Taylormade P7MB / P7MC combo set for me with a P770 4 iron for a little more launch & forgiveness. I love the feel of the MB & MC's & they look great too.

RichA

Visit site
My Ping G425s are hit and miss, but that's definitely more about my inconsistency than the clubs.
My wedges, which are Glide 3.0, are permanently a joy to use and make me wonder if I'd get more enjoyment if I'd gone for the more similarly constructed i210 irons. I didn't even try them because I didn't think I was ever going to be good enough.

Shop around. If you're buying new, don't be lazy like I was.

sunshine

Visit site
Mizuno. TM before that. I'm brand agnostic

I'm the kind of guy that takes a long time to choose a set of irons, but then keeps them for 10 years. The advances in technology are very slow.