• Baseball

Votes: 13 13.8%
  • Cack handed

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Played overlap for 40 years but a cut finger a few months back made interlock more comfortable.
The change has helped straighten out my drives, and weirdly, overlap now feels completely alien to me.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I started with interlocking with wound leather grips.
Once I got brand new Dunlop Blue Flash Junior size with rubber grips, I switched to overlapping and I've stuck with that for 50 years.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Mine is overlapping but the wrong way round. So my left forefinger sits on top of my right pinky. I don't know why, I've just always done that.

Springveldt

Visit site
When I started back playing I was using overlap for about 3 years then randomly just tried interlocking which felt like I had better control of the clubface so stuck with it.

RichA

Visit site
Started with overlapping.
Switched to interlocking after reading about it.
Tried going back to overlapping a couple of times but it feels like the club would slip out of my hands, even though I know it wouldn't.
Sometimes switch to baseball if I'm hacking out of deep rough or it's cold and wet.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Mostly baseball. If I'm losing the ball right with driver I've move to overlap which wants to put my right hand in a really strong position.

I naturally want to have a strong right hand and I'm actively trying to move away from this by getting it more on top of the club.

Always baseball grip for short game stuff. Lose all touch and feel with any other grip around the green.

Voyager EMH

Visit site
Mine is overlapping but the wrong way round. So my left forefinger sits on top of my right pinky. I don't know why, I've just always done that.
I do a version of that for putting.
It just felt natural and I believe that I am very right-hand-dominant when putting. Seems to work.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Baseball for me as well.

Broken my little finger a few times over the years so interlocking isn't comfortable at all and overlap just feels strange.

Glad to hear @Liverpoolphil is also baseball as my previous coach tried to tell me it was holding me back from getting to single figures.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Overlapping. Have done it this way for 35 years. Was baseball but during my first lesson the pro got me to change it. I still use baseball for putting.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I used baseball from 1968 to 1988. It had a little quirk to it which when the club pro saw it he suggested I switch to overlapping - I’m right handed and I laid the thumb of my left hand on top of the finger tips of my right hand. I was off 5 at that time. To be honest, I don’t think it made any difference to my game.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The ball doesn't care how you hold the club, it's only interested in where the face is pointing at impact.
If you can consistently control the clubface at impact, then don't change, whatever grip you use.
However, if you are struggling, here are a few golfers you may have heard of who interlock...
Jack Nicklaus
Tiger Woods
Rory Mcllroy
Scottie Scheffler
Catrick Cantlay

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I do a version of that for putting.
It just felt natural and I believe that I am very right-hand-dominant when putting. Seems to work.
I think it's more standard for putting actually - I believe I do the same. Forefinger on both hands outstretched, so the left one would be on top of the right knuckles, and the right one going down the shaft.

Voyager EMH

Visit site
Many who grew up in the hickory era would have thumbs round the shaft rather than down the shaft.
The idea of the right hand squeezing the left thumb and the shaft together seemed very wrong.

Francis Ouimet US Open winner
oiumet grip.jpg

Gene Sarazen had the quirk of placing left thumb between index and middle finger, but still outside and round the shaft.
sarazen grip.jpg

By the 1920s nearly all were thumbs down the shaft - Hagen, Jones, Wethered et al.

D

Deleted member 15344

Baseball for me as well.

Broken my little finger a few times over the years so interlocking isn't comfortable at all and overlap just feels strange.

Glad to hear @Liverpoolphil is also baseball as my previous coach tried to tell me it was holding me back from getting to single figures.

I have never had any lessons so just gripped the club how it felt best , and because I played lots of hockey and cricket then it was always going to be without any interlocking etc

As long as you can control the club path and face then there is no right or wrong , I have always thought what if I went to see someone to change the grip would it make a difference

Putting though - I played around with loads as baseball didn’t seem stable but I have overlapping fingers there - but then I also have my putter an inch behind the ball and move my hips - again from hockey 😂

Prob explain why I have half a swing