Please take a look at my swing - video included

KJT123

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi guys

Recently, i have been having a hard time with my irons, long ones especially(4,5). I normally always slice or fade my irons and it really is annoying when trying to reach a green in regulation.

Here is my swing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Xr8k0G4J2I

I have had a look myself, and I don't think i have an out to in swing? I just can't see why I am hitting these massive fades/slices

Please help :)

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
swing looks good, nice contact/strike too. from the video you look on plane also.

My thoughts are your left hand could be quite weak in the grip, can you post a pic of your grip face on?

Welcome to the forum, you'll get lots of help/ideas here, just filter what is good for you as none of us (apart from 1 or 2) are experts, just enthusiastic amateurs like you.

Phil2511

Global Moderator
www.britespark.org
Someone that knows much more than me will be along soon.
But it looks like you have the slightest overswing and the club points across the line at the top.
Shortening your backswing a bit should fix both.
Try to keep your right elbow tucked in to your body at address and during the swing.
Your right arm seems to smother your left. That should correct it.

Are you gripping down the club? Looks like you might be.

From what all I can see its certainly not the worst swing.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you fade or slice then your swing path must be out to in even if its by the smallest of margins.

Some how you need to find a way to attack the ball more from the inside, like you are trying to hit the ball to the right. Theres a head cover drill that you can do that helps to encourage that.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Whatever the fault turns out to be, I doubt that it'll be a major one. Its a nice swing. It IS a bit out to in though. At least to my eyes it is anyway. Good luck with the answers, there are plenty of people on here who can help..

jammag

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I had something very similar to this. When I spoke to someone they basically said I gripped well down the club, which it looks like you do as well. Told me to hold it closer to the end of the club and maybe take your stance a little further away. It worked for me, might not for you but maybe worth a try.

B

birdieman

In my humble opinion I agree with the OP, it's not out to in, he's not aiming left either. Great swing, position half way back is perfect.
I think the release of the clubhead is lagging a fraction and coming to the ball a little open, that's causing the left to right ball track. Cure for this is to do practice swings with your hands split 6" apart on the grip - forces the right hand to whip through which is what you need to recreate in the swing.
Good luck

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
If you fade or slice then your swing path must be out to in even if its by the smallest of margins.
Not according to the 'correct' ball flight laws.

As for the swing, it's hard to tell whether alignment is contributing. Weight does seem to shift back (from toes to heels) on the downswing though and hips seem to slide at first rather than turn. You keep your head/shoulders behind the ball well, so I can imagine a cut/fade happening if you don't time it perfectly.

Something that might help is opening the left foot about 20-30 degrees at set-up. That encourages an open hip position and a better rotation on the downswing. It ends up about that in the follow through, so starting there means no need to adjust balance.

BTW. That didn't look much of a fade/slice. Are you sure you are not worrying too much? As previously posted, a gentle fade is a much more predictable and repeatable shape than a draw. Monty certainly earned a bob or two with one and even Tiger is a 'convert'.

Last edited:

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Good swing that. The path must be going more left than the face else it wouldn't fade. I think you've got a pretty nice in-to-in swing there (or it's certainly very close) but you are hitting the ball too late... when the club is returning to the inside, couple that with a big tilt away from the target and the ball forward in your stance and there's 3 reasons why you hit it left and fade it. Gripping down the shaft won't help either. No offence you have a lovely looking action but I think it's going to have to be a trip to the pro if you want to hit a draw as there's a lot to look at. You've kinda taught yourself a really, really nice fade swing :mad:

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
That shot looked quite straight. Something often overlooked in how your ball flies is the quality of strike, where you hit the ball on the clubface can have a massive effect on the shape of the ball flight. Put some impact tape on the clubface and see where you are striking the ball.

This video explains this well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdDpmt5OwV0

KJT123

Head Pro
Visit site
That shot looked quite straight. Something often overlooked in how your ball flies is the quality of strike, where you hit the ball on the clubface can have a massive effect on the shape of the ball flight. Put some impact tape on the clubface and see where you are striking the ball.

This video explains this well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdDpmt5OwV0

That shot started left and ended up right of target

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com

Driver isn't quite the same. I wouldn't say that KJT is hitting fades because of miss hits....

Forgot to say in my previous post that I agree that your upper body looks a fraction open compared to the lower. As I said... good fade swing. Would love to see you turn that into a draw. Why DO you grip down 2 inches? I've never seen anyone do that successfully unless trying to shape a specifc shot. Sergio used to do it occassionally but that's the only person I can recall.