Please help us sleep!

vig

Tour Winner
Visit site
Have you tried Jack Daniels? If that don't work, you drink it ;)

Seriously my lad didn't sleep through until he was FIVE!!, can't get him out of bed now!

I read somewhere that if the parents are early risers, this has some impact on their behaviour whilst they are still in the womb. I thought it was tosh at the time but couldn't disprove it.

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's right what they say about every child being different - our first went through the night no problems, second (a girl) had real trouble settling.

My advice, for what it's worth, would be to do whatever is best for all the family at your point in time. I think parents get too caught up in routines and feeling they are 'making a rod for their own back' in many circumstances. Think to yourself what is better, a screaming child at 2 in the morning or bringing her in with you...is that so bad?

Children readily pick up on our stresses and a confrontation or 'battle' in the wee hours favours no-one. Your child will grow out of nightime waking given time, but in this difficult period I think do whatever gives you and your partner the best quality of rest.

My youngest is now 3 and I think we are turning a corner in childcare i.e no nappies, sleeping OK - its amazing how quickly the time goes so in the grand scheme of things this period of sleep deprivation should improve in a relatively short period of time.

ps I'm no new age parent, just think we all get too caught up in what the perceived 'right' way to bring a child up in their early years.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
I too feel for you slugger, mine are grown up now and both were good sleepers. What I do remember most of all is that my wife was really good at getting them into a routine. I think that's the real key,try and find what suits you all and be firm if necessary, and stick to it.

Golfmmad.

Macster

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My daughter was a nightmare at going to bed, right through till she was 4/5 yrs old, and I recall having to lay on the floor until she went to sleep, only to wake up an hour later myself ! One creak of a floorboard on the way out and the whole process had to start again...........

My son on the other hand, was not a problem ever.....and now they are 18 & 16, they sleep like the dead for copious amounts of time !

So, you have my sympathies ! Some good advice above, so hope it works.

KIDS = Best form of contraception ever !!

M

piratepete

Hacker
Visit site
There's no help I'm afraid, sleep deprivation for the little darling during the day may help, mine are now mid teenagers, my son who used to sleep throughout the night as a toddler wakes at 6.00am every day, his sister given the chance would sleep through an earthquake until the following day. What we did find was.......shush don't tell anyone, we spiked the bottle a couple of nights with vodka and hurahh, slept through from then on. I'm not suggesting this is the formula though, christ, I'll be up for child something or other now. But hey, I've got 2 wonderful kids now, and they even seem to be moderately keen on golf as well.

slugger

Tour Rookie
Visit site
sleep update....

Friday night, she went and stayed at my parents. I slept for 13 hours :) - apparantly she slept right through until 6!

Saturday, she slept for us :) Didn't do anything different from our normal routine, of play, bath, milk, read, bed

Sunday, same routine, but she's developed a cold and cough... up all night :(

Last night, same again :(

Thankfully, i've got a game of golf this afternoon :)

Spoff

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Good points from a lot on here, if she had got used to going to sleep with company, having back tickled etc it is very hard to break.

My wife made the mistake of cuddling my son to sleep and it took a long time to get him to go to sleep himself.

I saw a couple of episodes of Super Nanny and one of her tips worked wonders for us.

Be in the room with the child for a couple of nights but don't engage her, sit with your back to her, and over a few days be further and further away until you're out of the room.

good luck!!!