please convince me!

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
ok, am looking at joining a club this year, but not really sure how things work. I always have the same 3 days off mon tues wed. So whats the crack? I would like to get involved in comps or a league or what ever goes on, but does it all take place on a weekend? Also what kind of benefits do people like most from being a club member? Gimme some ammo to convince the mrs that its a good idea to max out the credit card!

TWM

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Go into the club of your choice and ask about 5 day membership. It is usually cheaper if you do not play at weekends.

tpred

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi Tony.Most clubs offer 7 or 5 Day memberships.
You will obviously benefit from the 5 day.
As to comps my club play 99% on saturdays or sundays.
we have a midweek medal in the summer and also a mid handicap league which is also on a weekday.
You will be better off doing some homework on various clubs to see which offers the best thing for you.
The course i play at is municipal but with a club attatched to it,so the only real benefits we get being a member is being able to play medals club comps etc.The obvious drawback with a muni is that it can get very busy at times but has a bounus in that its cheaper to join.
It just depends on what you are looking for

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
ok, am looking at joining a club this year, but not really sure how things work. I always have the same 3 days off mon tues wed. So whats the crack? I would like to get involved in comps or a league or what ever goes on, but does it all take place on a weekend? Also what kind of benefits do people like most from being a club member? Gimme some ammo to convince the mrs that its a good idea to max out the credit card!

Blimus- where to start! ive just been through this process myself -see 'New Membership Confirmed' and if you search on 'joining clubs' it'll give you plenty to chew over.

As a mid-weeker you will probably be looking at a very good financial pay-off if you play enough. If you like competitions and medals etc. then ask the clubs for a crib sheet of their fixtures for 2008. That'll tell you on which days they often fall on. The other thing I might bear in mind (in your shoes) is if there are any particualr groups that have times set aside for them. For example, ladies can frequently find that they are not welcome on the tee before 11am at weekends in return for being given a half day elsewhere, typically a Thursday. If this is the case, it'll cut down your playing options as will junior golf and mixed only golf.

Many clubs will want to 'suss you out' before letting you into the fold of thier competitions. You may have to go through a probationary period before they invite you to participate which will swallow time and money. Check their attitude.

Find out what access visitors have to the course, when are popular society times and if there's a hardcore of retired gents/ladies that play four-balls in the times you wish to play. You probably want a club with thriving competative leagues but ones that won't inhibit your own choices.

If youve got any doubts- move on - theres other clubs.

Good luck,

bill

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks bill, there are some real good points there i would never have even thought of taking into consideration. I have quite alot of clubs to choose from in my local area so i am not going to rush into anything.