Pleasant surprise

Merv_swerve

Challenge Tour Pro
goo.gl
Medal day yesterday....
I've been playing well enough lately to get cut so I'm approaching comps with maybe a bit too much gusto, intent on making 'it' happen.
Poor start yesterday, the 1st 5 here are pretty tough anyway, but missed fairways, 2 lost balls and a 3 putt only serve to make it harder. I was 5 over HC without even blinking yesterday and I'm thinking, how the hell am I going to find buffer from here??
Well I dug in ground out a stretch of good holes which could easily have been 4 shots better had I not been a serial arsonist, burning the edges of holes with too many birdie putts and chips. 4 over hc at the turn and a 20pt back 9 is very doable. Steady if not spectacular golf continued and solid scoring on the par 3s got me to 2 over HC through 17. Last tee...swoosh, balls hooked left and into the tree line. Get down there and lo and behold, another lost ball. Provisional now in play and double to finish. 4 over hc and point 1 back. How stupid?! All that graft and good play, barring 3 lapses of concentration lead to 3 hugely unlucky moments of not finding wayward strikes. So frustrated post round, only the beer and good company saved the day.

Fast forward to this morning, results are up, and would you believe it, made buffer. Hallelujah!
Only then did I realise the triple I made on the 3rd, only hurt me as much as a double! Saved! Can't help thinking I turned a 69 into a 75 yesterday but at least there was no permanent damage.

Morale restored and onto the next one!