Playing with long clubs

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I mentioned on a previous thread, my brother in law has given me his set of mizuno mx-100. The only snag is that he's a giant and so the shafts are an inch longer. However, he says the lie angle is standard (which could explain why he didn't get on with them).

I've had a swing with them and they feel ok, so I'll see how I get on with them down the range before paying out to get them shortened. However, is playing with longer clubs fraught with danger in terms of it permanently altering my swing to the point I'd always need longer club? In terms of using them, what affect would a longer club have on my shots, ie, more slices, low trajectory etc?

Cheers

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Is the lie angle standard for the longer club or standard for the normal length version?

If you lengthen a club which is the correct lie to begin, you will need to flatten it a degree per inch or so. But 1 degree isn't a heck of a lot, so probably not worth adjusting.

If the clubs need regripped at some stage, you could have the pro cut an inch off while doing so.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've pretty much decided to get them adjusted before I start using them fully. I don't want to fall foul of a minor unconscious tweak coming into my swing that becomes engrained and end up needing lessons to fix it!

American golf quoted me £8 per club to adjust, cheaper than a local pro. Are AG pretty good at fitting clubs? I know they do it, but having never used them I don't know what they're like.