Playing with a stranger

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Turned up at our place today in a three ball. Pro in the shop asked if he could drop a kid in with us. Turns out he is 16 yr old. Last time I met a 16 yr old was 40 yr ago in a youth club. PP said apparantly he is very quiet and we won't get two words outta him. When he told me he supported Utd on the first tee he got more than two words out of me. Anyway he plays off 6 and after his first drive of 260 yd straight down the middle. Tash knew he had to bring his A game. He was on fire. After 9 holes in a stableford he had gone round in 35, 1 under. 21 points. Well guess what hotshot Tashyboy had 21 and so did tricky Trev. At the end of a fantastic 18 holes in which we all had a good laugh, he had finished on 38 points and so did the Tash. Some of his shots were just fantastic. Turns out he wants to be a pro. Anyway, in the 19 th apparantly I had bought him a Coke and we were nattering. He is a member at both our place and Oakmere. For £120 and £100 for two memberships it would be stupid not to. He loves it at both places, and is at work at Oakmere tomorrow.
Point is I was a bit wary in going round with him, what with the age gap and all that but I would not hesitate to do it again. If young uns are to take up the game, clubs like ours and Oakmere are doing the right thing in how much they charge. Lovely kid that just needs to sort his football team out.

D

Deleted Member 1156

That sort of subscription is pretty typical for that age. Nice that he was chatty, often find kids that age barely mutter a word.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
In my Bowood days we were asked to take a 12 year old round with us in a comp as he was on his own... decent lad, his handicap was less than his age, I forget exactly what. Why wouldn’t any adult help encourage Juniors?

Watched that lad play in the Open today..... Jordan Smith has done all right, thankfully watching me chop it round didn’t make him take up tennis!

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
When I played my very first comp, some rabbit 9-hole comp, there was a 12 year old in my fourball. I played abyssmally bad, he played quite decent and got a handicap cut. A few weeks later we ran into each other after another comp in the caddy room. He asked me how I had played. I said: "Oh, much better than last time." His reply: "Well, thank God!" :D

Last I heard he has stopped playing golf and is concentrating on football instead. His older sister just got a golf scholarship for a college in Kentucky, though.