Playing through?

SurreyGolfer

Visit site
I'd always try and call a faster group through. On Sunday we were playing as a 3 ball behind a 4 ball, they were taking an age and never looked back. We came off the 3rd green as they walked off the 4th tee on said " we'll try and get a move on, we've been held up- by ourselves! " I just shook my head.

Minutes later a single golfer holed out on the 3rd, drove the buggy he was using to try and bolt round on a Sunday, he almost drove on the tee we were then teeing off on and sat staring at us with arms folded. Now we only have 3 rental buggies and Sundays are pretty busy early morning. We invited him to tee off with us, then move on for his second shot - but I can't grasp why anyone would bolt round as a single golfer on a busy course early Sunday
I agree with this too. I play quite often as a single, so I like to try and get away as early as possible, or play a quieter time like 4pm on a Tuesday. At my course it's not unreasonable at those sorts of times for there to be gaps and expect to be let through, with a round taking ~2-5hrs

If I try and play 10:00 on a Saturday morning, all bets are off and I settle in for a 4hr round.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I agree with this too. I play quite often as a single, so I like to try and get away as early as possible, or play a quieter time like 4pm on a Tuesday. At my course it's not unreasonable at those sorts of times for there to be gaps and expect to be let through, with a round taking ~2-5hrs

If I try and play 10:00 on a Saturday morning, all bets are off and I settle in for a 4hr round.
When playing by myself I do not expect to be let through and would not push a group to try and force them to.

I will hang back from a group in front so long as I am not holding up a group behind. The group in front will usually sense that I am doing so to give them space, and so if I do still catch them then often they will ask if I wish to play through.

Show other golfers consideration and respect and you might well find that you will receive it in turn.

SurreyGolfer

Visit site
When playing by myself I do not expect to be let through and would not push a group to try and force them to.

I will hang back from a group in front so long as I am not holding up a group behind. The group in front will usually sense that I am doing so to give them space, and so if I do still catch them then often they will ask if I wish to play through.

Show other golfers consideration and respect and you might well find that you will receive it in turn.

You've misinterpreted what I've said. I'm not forcing my way through, pushing/forcing a group or launching balls over their heads.....I'm keeping up with them, waiting when I need to, and I would expect the group ahead to either show a bit of a common sense and offer for me to play through, or not have any objections if I politely ask to come through.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
You've misinterpreted what I've said. I'm not forcing my way through, pushing/forcing a group or launching balls over their heads.....I'm keeping up with them, waiting when I need to, and I would expect the group ahead to either show a bit of a common sense and offer for me to play through, or not have any objections if I politely ask to come through.
Actually I didn’t misinterpret or misunderstand…😊👍 I was in agreement with you as I too don‘t try and force my way through, but do just as you. And yes, if I find myself, despite not pushing things, right up with a group and they don't let me through I will often wait a hole or two before asking if I may play through and get out of their way.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Tbh I'd expect to always let a faster group through.
But in saying that letting people through seems to be going out of fashion.

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
A little while since I was a club member but when I was, the biggest culprits for slow play and not calling through were the 2 people who should have known better and lead by example. Yes. The Captain and Pro. Their weekly 4BBB match v members was always the slowest and they never called anyone through.

Mention this in response to the many reminders about slow play and you were fobbed of with some excuse or other.

Grinded my gears did that :mad:

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
I love the old “you wont get anywhere” saying.
I remember being a two ball and stuck behind four four balls. Took no time at all. It can and has been done with and takes just the time to tee off.
Providing that the etiquette of letting faster groups through is followed and not pondered about it’s fairly straight forward.
If you are held up you can show your distaste in incredible fashion like climbing trees, riding your electric trolley or have a lie down in the fairway.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Faster group, of course, if there is room
If the course is rammed full, with nowhere to go, then all you are doing is creating a backlog for your group and the ones behind.

It is highly frustrating being in a 2 ball, when the larger group in front has a gap and they have no intention of letting you through, unfortunately happens virtually every weekend

We’d always let a 2 through if there’s room in front and doing so wouldn’t cause an even bigger delay.

But, at weekends, when it’s busy, our starter will always tell 2-balls that the pace of play is that of a 4-ball, and that they should not expect to be waved through. There was a time when we did not allow 2-balls out after 8am on a Saturday.

arnieboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
We were in a four ball the other day when two pairs played up behind us. We, of course, let both pairs through, unfortunately our generosity led to us getting soaked on the eighteenth!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I remember being a two ball and stuck behind four four balls. Took no time at all. It can and has been done with and takes just the time to tee off.
Providing that the etiquette of letting faster groups through is followed and not pondered about it’s fairly straight forward.
If you are held up you can show your distaste in incredible fashion like climbing trees, riding your electric trolley or have a lie down in the fairway.
BIB - Well last time I heard that I simply said “I’m sure we will”. It was preceded by “there’s no point in you playing through” to which I responded ”you can let us be the judge of that”. They let us through.

Swango1980

Visit site
It is a saying, because quite often it is a matter of fact. Let the quicker group through, and all you are doing is putting them behind the slower group in front. Sure, if there are only 1 or 2 slower groups in front, probably still worth calling them through. But, if course is rammed in front of you, then there is no real point, unless you are falling behind.

Letting groups through can actually create additional delays to more groups than it helps reduce delay. If you are in a slow group (Group A), and let the group behind through (Group B), then it certainly reduces delay for Group B. However, if Group C was following Group B, then once Group B is out of range, Group C has the additional delay of having to wait for Group A to now clear. And, if Groups D, E, F, etc were all coming behind, then they too can experience the knock on delay. If Group A is efficient in where they let Group B through, hopefully all that extra delay is minimised, but not reduced to zero (unless any of the groups lag behind themselves).

Also, if you are the group being let through, it may feel like it is taking no time at all. However, if does to the guys letting you through. If it is done on the tee, they can tee off and then let you tee off. You walk up the fairway together, but then they have to wait while you play your second shots, walk after them and probably wait until you clear the green (if on a par 4, for example).

On a personal level, if I'm playing in a 2 ball and behind a load of slow 4 balls, I often don't like / expect to be called through. I appreciate the gesture, but I always feel like I am then rushing to try and play through, and then get out of their way. It is a right pain if they let me through, and then myself or someone else playing with me hit a ball onto an area that will require a search. So, if the course is busy, I'm perfectly happy to just pace myself behind them, unless they need to spend a long time looking for balls at any point. If course is empty in front of them, then I do like to be let though. The "stress" of trying to get out of their way quickly is more than made up by the fact we'll be able to play much quicker after that point, without being held up.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
It is a saying, because quite often it is a matter of fact. Let the quicker group through, and all you are doing is putting them behind the slower group in front. Sure, if there are only 1 or 2 slower groups in front, probably still worth calling them through. But, if course is rammed in front of you, then there is no real point, unless you are falling behind.

Letting groups through can actually create additional delays to more groups than it helps reduce delay. If you are in a slow group (Group A), and let the group behind through (Group B), then it certainly reduces delay for Group B. However, if Group C was following Group B, then once Group B is out of range, Group C has the additional delay of having to wait for Group A to now clear. And, if Groups D, E, F, etc were all coming behind, then they too can experience the knock on delay. If Group A is efficient in where they let Group B through, hopefully all that extra delay is minimised, but not reduced to zero (unless any of the groups lag behind themselves).

Also, if you are the group being let through, it may feel like it is taking no time at all. However, if does to the guys letting you through. If it is done on the tee, they can tee off and then let you tee off. You walk up the fairway together, but then they have to wait while you play your second shots, walk after them and probably wait until you clear the green (if on a par 4, for example).

On a personal level, if I'm playing in a 2 ball and behind a load of slow 4 balls, I often don't like / expect to be called through. I appreciate the gesture, but I always feel like I am then rushing to try and play through, and then get out of their way. It is a right pain if they let me through, and then myself or someone else playing with me hit a ball onto an area that will require a search. So, if the course is busy, I'm perfectly happy to just pace myself behind them, unless they need to spend a long time looking for balls at any point. If course is empty in front of them, then I do like to be let though. The "stress" of trying to get out of their way quickly is more than made up by the fact we'll be able to play much quicker after that point, without being held up.

^^ This. With bells on.