Playing the shorter irons

Basher

Tour Winner
yorkshiregolf.proboards.com
I'm confused!

I have heard conflicting stories about ball position on short iron and wedge shots.
Some say back foot, others say mid stance, others say anywhere in between.

Where do you play your irons and wedges?

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
I cannot hit long irons if they are too far in front, I put my longer irons just left of centre, 7,8,9 in the middle and shorter irons only slightly further back, maybe 2 inches or so.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
I Play my 9,PW,SW an inch or two behind centre. No doubt it has to be nehind centre so ya can strike down on it.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Middle....where else.....never read anything other than this ever; or are my books wrong??

fairmorn308

Assistant Pro
Visit site
bit of advice

it doesnt matter what people play there shots its upto you where you play the ball as its you thats playing the shot so what ever you feel comfortable doing then stick at it

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
I find If i play my wedges in the centre, i thin em. Prob just me but when i play them an inch or two back, the balls pops up cleanly.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
So, we have a selection of thoughts. I can't see anything wrong with just back from centre; it should promote a downward strike and also help with pulling. However, it could be a bit of a "thin end of the wedge" thing (sorry, no pun intended) because playing towards the back foot is eventually going to catch up with you i.m.o.

DCB

Visit site
Idealy you want to stike the ball just before the club reaches the bottom of the swings lowest point, that way you get a descending strike into the ball. The lowest point of the swing will alter depending upon how you set up to the ball and how you transfer your body weight through the swing motion.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Idealy you want to stike the ball just before the club reaches the bottom of the swings lowest point, that way you get a descending strike into the ball. The lowest point of the swing will alter depending upon how you set up to the ball and how you transfer your body weight through the swing motion.

Abso-bl**dy-lutely.

If you keep moving the ball backwards, eventually your long irons and woods will suffer.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I use to play every iron from opposite my left breast and shortened or widened the stance dependant on the club as this was how I was originally taught. When I got back into golf, this was thought outdated and the ball position moved from long to short getting nearer the middle the shorter the iron.

As a result I'll play a 3 iron approximately a ball width inside my left foot and a PW or SW from the middle and wrok progressively back from the 3 iron position for my other irons