Playing second shot from a tee box

NearHull

Visit site
PP yesterday miss hit his tee shot and the ball rolled forward a couple of yards but stayed on the tee box. I couldn’t quite recall the rule but I thought he might be able to place it on a tee, but that didn’t feel logical. I read 6.2b(6) this morning which I have understood to agree with my thoughts - have I interpreted that correctly. If so , where does he play his second shot from?

NearHull

Visit site
Where it lies or takes it back to the teeing area and tees it up for the cost of a shot...so he's 3 off the tee...
So just to be clear for me, take it back and play for three or play it as it lies - same as “old rules”. Does he now though, have an additional option to tee it up where it lies under the new rules?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
When you say 'tee box' what do you mean? The 'teeing area' as defined or the raised piece of ground on which the teeing area is located?

If the former, you are covered by the new rule. You may play again from the teeing area and tee the ball as and where you like within the area. You would only be playing your second.

If the latter, it is simply another bit of the course (like the fairway) and you can take stroke and distance playing from the teeing area and tee as if starting again but are playing your third.

NearHull

Visit site
It stayed within the mown prepared teeing area. So it would have been his second from anywhere within that defined area and if he wished on a tee peg.
Q. Even forward I.e nearer to the pin, of where his ball lay after his first shot?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
It stayed within the mown prepared teeing area. So it would have been his second from anywhere within that defined area and if he wished on a tee peg.
Q. Even forward I.e nearer to the pin, of where his ball lay after his first shot?
A. Yes. Providing it is behind and within the tee markers.

But I am still not clear on your description of the area.
Does it satisfy this definition?
Teeing Area:
A rectangle that is two club-lengths deep where:
The front edge is defined by the line between the forward-most points of two tee-markers set by the Committee, and
The side edges are defined by the lines back from the outside points of the tee-markers.

A tee box (which you mentioned) is not the Teeing Area.

Did the first shot ball finish beyond or behind the tee markers?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Bearing in mind that the 'Teeing Area' is defined as the area created by a line between the markers and two club lengths back from that line. Nothing in the definition about it being mown or prepared (though obviously it always is) as the whole of the piece of ground (often raised) in which the 'teeing area' is located is likely to be mown and prepared. [Edit] Oops - repetition though not quite so precise :)

Mind you makes it worthwhile thinking about teeing back from the front boundary of the teeing area - just in case you almost miss the ball and it trickles off the tee peg. If you tee up on the front boundary of the teeing area you lose the chance of re-teeing it for your second :)

NearHull

Visit site
Bearing in mind that the 'Teeing Area' is defined as the area created by a line between the markers and two club lengths back from that line. Nothing in the definition about it being mown or prepared (though obviously it always is) as the whole of the piece of ground (often raised) in which the 'teeing area' is located is likely to be mown and prepared. [Edit] Oops - repetition though not quite so precise :)

Mind you makes it worthwhile thinking about teeing back from the front boundary of the teeing area - just in case you almost miss the ball and it trickles off the tee peg. If you tee up on the front boundary of the teeing area you lose the chance of re-teeing it for your second :)
Aah! The penny’s dropped. He hit the ball passed the tee markers and hence was not in the teeing area. He did play it as it lay, correctly for two.Many thanks to all for sorting it out.