Playing partners talking

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
The start of the exercise is usually a very loud explosion followed by machine gun fire.
THAT definitely puts you off!

Yeah, I am sure that would give me a heart attack each time. We have a large field right next to our 4th hole and when the farmer seeds it over he puts up a scarecrow device which somehow charges in the sunlight and then lets out a loud bang which sounds like a gunshot and a second, slightly softer one a few seconds afterwards. It goes off about every ten minutes or so. And even though I know that it's there and that it's harmless, it totally gets me when I am in the middle of my backswing.

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'll always shut up as someone is preparing to hit and of course taking the shot. Most folks are very courteous too from my experience. As they should be. I have noticed however that when I'm enjoying my day nothing would bother me anyway - if it's a struggle though an ant clearing his throat would get a glare :angry:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
At my place there is a firing range right next to the course, just the other side of a fence from the 11th tee. Fun and games if they start going off while you're mid-swing.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Dont have any problem with people chatting during practice swings(if you take any). Expect quiet for the actual shot, and always get it.
We obviously have some serious Major winners in our midst;)

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
Wow. There are some very precious people playing this game! Yes, a bit of quiet during my swing is lovely but would I care otherwise? Nope. Get lives ladies.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Yup - playing partners much less of an issue for me than the randomness associated with the lot on the next fairway clearly having a whale of a time given the hoots and hollering coming from their direction...as I address the ball...hoping for it to die down and not kick off again half way through my swing :)

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
From the R&A Rules of Golf

No Disturbance or Distraction
Players should always show consideration for other players on the course and should not disturb their play by moving, talking or making unnecessary noise.

I think that proves that way too many people on this forum have no sense of true etiquette and only adhere to the rules of golf when it suits them.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I think that proves that way too many people on this forum have no sense of true etiquette and only adhere to the rules of golf when it suits them.

How does it prove that? Where in this thread has anybody said that they don't care about their fellow players and don't shut up/stand still when they take their shot? It is more that most of us said they will do that, but it does not bother them personally when others are less considerate.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

Players should always show consideration for other players on the course and should not disturb their play by moving, talking or making unnecessary noise.

What I think it proves is that too many people these days have too great a sense of personal entitlement - that if they think it's OK to do it, then it is OK. And any rules or regs that stop them doing something they think quite reasonable are simply old fashioned fuddy duddyism or unreasonable and can be ignored whenever suits. Golf simply reflecting life.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

I'm sorry but no one in this thread has said they show anything but consideration towards their PP - I have played with a good deal forum members at meets up and down the country and every single one has been respectful, adhere to the rules of golf and follow clear etiquette

Extremely poor post to point fingers of accusation at people like that

What I have found out though is talking to your PP throughout the round means you are a hacker and don't take the game seriously- apparently

shivas irons

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

Totally agree mate,theres been so many forum members on here saying thats its ok to talk whilst a player is taking their shot that its simply shocking and a sign of the times,I for one would have no inteterst in teeing it up with any of them.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Nothing better than ripping your zip down fast on your bag when youre PP has just gone 1 up and is in his back swing :smirk: You can tell it affects people differently by the size of the divot they create, which at times goes further than the ball :rofl:

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site

How does this cover myself when I'm talking and hitting at the same time? I can't bare the silence. It's distracting!
Silence I find is too taxing and makes me overthink. I need to be swinging subconsciously. I need to be loose and ideally breathing.
Ill add that I'm quiet when it's required!

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Totally agree mate,theres been so many forum members on here saying thats its ok to talk whilst a player is taking their shot that its simply shocking and a sign of the times,I for one would have no inteterst in teeing it up with any of them.
I bet they're gutted.

D

Deleted member 23344

Golf is a social game and it is good to chat. However, the one thing that this thread has taught me is, when I next play with someone I haven't played with before, I need to ask them at what point in their shot preparation do they want me to keep quiet.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Golf is a social game and it is good to chat. However, the one thing that this thread has taught me is, when I next play with someone I haven't played with before, I need to ask them at what point in their shot preparation do they want me to keep quiet.
Or just play it safe and finish talking as they start their practise swings. I don't think we need to over-complicate things. When I'm playing with people I haven't played with before I just try and only talk when we're walking, then there's no grey area.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Or just play it safe and finish talking as they start their practise swings. I don't think we need to over-complicate things. When I'm playing with people I haven't played with before I just try and only talk when we're walking, then there's no grey area.

Thats multi tasking. I cant do that.