Playing my first 18 holes tomorrow

D

Deleted member 1147

I just know its a ping cant remember the other name of it, just picked it because i liked the look of it and got it from affordable golf. Guy in shop did attach a phone to the putter and had me hitting a bunch of balls and said it was the right one for me.
Affordable Golf?
For £250 that’s a bit of a misnomer isn’t it?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Just go out and play. I think my first score was comfortably in three figures despite having had lessons and played at Sandown Park's par 3. Without wanting to put a dampener on things I think anything between 105 and 115 is a reasonable first effort

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There are two approaches:

1. Go out, have fun and play without limits, see what you can do and go with your gut.

2. Aim to bogey every hole, double bogey at worse. Play to slowly move the ball up the hole with an iron you can comfortably make decent progress with. All all times look to make make the game as easy as possible, it takes patience and trust.

Only you can decide which approach is best for you.

Although I understand what you’re saying, in my opinion, anyone that takes option 2 probably won’t ever go back for another round!

I say get out there, wallop some balls and don’t worry about the scorecard. If you lose a few balls, don’t worry about it. There will be a couple of sweet strikes that get you back out there.

In fact, my number 1 tip would be to play match play and don’t add up your score!

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Just go out and play. I think my first score was comfortably in three figures despite having had lessons and played at Sandown Park's par 3. Without wanting to put a dampener on things I think anything between 105 and 115 is a reasonable first effort

We should of had a sweep of what score he will have and farthest away from his score puts a fiver into HFH, I think your being very generous with your prediction seeing as it's his first time ever on a course playing a full round.(y)

golfbluecustard

Head Pro
Visit site
Wish you all the best and wish I'd started how you are with kit and lessons

Score wise I'm thinking 126 rational being 3 over per hole x 18 = 54 + 72

We've all got a triple in us be it a lost ball, missed putts, ball left in the sand or fluffed chip and you're just starting

Most important thing is to enjoy yourself

GBC

Erazerrain

Visit site
Just done first round after 10 years plus away from a course or driving range, after 2 lessons and some time at the range (prev hc about 28 if memory serves right. 97 against par of 68. I was quite happy with about 5 shots. Made par three times, lost a few balls and lost about 3 hours without realising it.

That is alot of money thou to have spent without going out on a course...

Sekiro

Visit site
A smart person would chuck in a few duffs on purpose to make the next round easier ;)

I like this logic!

I think I shot near the 140’s my first round, lots of terrible decision, poor shots resulting in 6-8’s on most holes, I did finish a Par-3 for par and it made the round for me but I also shot a 10 on the 9th haha! Try not to be too hard on yourself and just get out and enjoy it, don’t take it too seriously and have a laugh during the round, remember it’s supposed to be fun! Oh and be prepared to feel exhausted both mentally and physically at the end but to also have a buzz about you for completing your first round.

Edit:- One bit of additional advice I would give is make sure to wear a hat if it’s sunny, take some water and a couple of snacks too, you won’t regret it!

Last edited:

Griffsters

Hacker
Visit site
I'd say just go out and enjoy it, use cheap balls and get used to your clubs and being on a course. There is an absolute world of difference between hitting balls on a range then on a course surrounded by hazards. Then another world of difference when a card is in your hand and it really matters :oops::LOL:

If you really want to score, don't kid yourself. No gimmes, no improving lie or mulligans. Do it properly or you are just cheating yourself.

Don't beat yourself up, golf is hard. If you get under 110, it is a decent score for a beginner. Could be much more dependent on course.

TigerTime

Visit site
https://www.campsiegolfclub.org.uk/Campsie Course.html
My mate just lives right next to there. So plan is to do that tomorrow then the 4 round my way over the next two weeks.

Not a particularly long course but honestly I'd just go out and enjoy it. Don't go out expecting to be amazing or play really well because if it's your first time you probably won't. Just enjoy being out on the course or hit some nice shots I'd take that as a result. Personally my first few times playing back in the day I never bothered with scoring, just focused on having a laugh and if I hit some nice shots I'd be fairly happy.

That's also a crazy amount of cash spent on golf without actually playing! Hopefully your love for the game lasts for a long time and you don't chuck it after a few months!

Chico84

Visit site
Funnily enough I was having a clear out this evening and found the scorecard from my first ever 18 hole round. I shot 125 but I’d probably add a few more shots onto that as I was probably a bit generous with the odd mulligan.

I’d say just go out and have fun. Try stuff out and see what works. Plenty of time in the future to worry about scores.

NedPizza

Visit site
Interesting post. Anyone looking to get into the game will probably run a mile when they see the amount of money spent.

Just to put things into perspective, I'm coming back to the game after 20 years. So I already have a lot of the kit but spend to date :

- half set irons 70€
- trolley 20€
- putter 30€
- range cards 54€
- cloths etc. 77€
- shoes 50€

So already at 301€ (shocked me when I total it up like this) luckily I didn't have to buy driver, woods etc.

anyway good luck to MrPing, enjoy your round :)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Don't aim for a score as all that does is give the potential for disappointment. Just enjoy it and let the score be what it is - a benchmark to measure future improvement against.