Playing like …. after lessons. What’s your tolerance?

Trodski

Visit site
No-one expects to just waltz up after lessons and everything to be rosy after.

Question is, how much tolerance do you have for playing rubbish while you figure it out?

Is anyone else just flat out bad after lessons?

I will generally have 4 or 5 lessons over autumn/winter and practice a couple of times a week. Early extension/sequencing is killing my consistency.

Did it last year and ended this season lower than I started but probably played 4 months of dross (sorry to my winter shield partner). Had a lesson on Tuesday and needless to say I was garbage in the medal today, 92 - 10 over handicap.

Don’t know if I can take being bad for months again….

CountLippe

Visit site
If you set aside time to practice specifically what you’ve been told to work on, I’d say 4 weeks and you’ll see the benefit.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Depending on what the lesson was for I always reckoned the 2/3 rounds after a lesson was going to be rubbish - too much thinking about how to hit it rather than where to hit it.

I always put a lot of time in to range work when I had lessons so what was taught got in to the system fairly quickly.

D

Deleted member 1147

Unless it’s a total rebuild of your swing, why would you play badly after a lesson?

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
The youth had one yesterday - working on shortening the backswing to maintain a 90 degree angle between arms and club at the top of the swing.
We went out after for a knock and it definitely affected him, I don't think it's so much trying to implement the change, but you overlook some basics as you are focussed on the changes.
In fairness, his coach is now giving him changes to make that he can work on over the winter, so it's not something he'd expect him to implement straight away.

Will definitely start doing more range work now as the weather starts to turn a little.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Unless it’s a total rebuild of your swing, why would you play badly after a lesson?
I think there is a strong risk of playing badly. You cannot but be thinking of the key points from the lesson, and they are more likely to be detrimental in the short term, if they are to have any real benefit in the long run, while real change becomes habit.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
No-one expects to just waltz up after lessons and everything to be rosy after.

Question is, how much tolerance do you have for playing rubbish while you figure it out?

Is anyone else just flat out bad after lessons?

I will generally have 4 or 5 lessons over autumn/winter and practice a couple of times a week. Early extension/sequencing is killing my consistency.

Did it last year and ended this season lower than I started but probably played 4 months of dross (sorry to my winter shield partner). Had a lesson on Tuesday and needless to say I was garbage in the medal today, 92 - 10 over handicap.

Don’t know if I can take being bad for months again….

I genuinely believe that amateur golfers just think too much about their golf swing whilst out on the course....I dont even know what early extension/sequencing is!!!

I suspect that players who struggle with taking their lessons out on to the course with them, are largely trying to "think their way through the swing" on course....so they are trying to consciously set their arms/bodies in positions that the pro has told them....rather than swing freely and naturally without any active swing thoughts.

In my opinion, the range is the place to actively try to do what the pro has told you....when you are on the course you just need to try to be as natural as you can and just let what happens, happen.

If it takes 4 months to figure out what has been imparted then either the information given simply is wrong and does not work....or you need to put more practice in on the range to ingrain it, so it becomes natural so you dont have to think about things on the course.

D

Deleted member 1147

I think there is a strong risk of playing badly. You cannot but be thinking of the key points from the lesson, and they are more likely to be detrimental in the short term, if they are to have any real benefit in the long run, while real change becomes habit.
After a good lesson the changes should be sorted already. Especially if you practice what’s been taught before playing your next round.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
In my opinion, the range is the place to actively try to do what the pro has told you....when you are on the course you just need to try to be as natural as you can and just let what happens, happen.
Agreed.
The pro I had lessons with at my previous club told me to practice the changes on the practice ground, but to just play my normal game on course.
After enough application of the changes on the practice round, they become your normal way of playing.

Trodski

Visit site
After a good lesson the changes should be sorted already. Especially if you practice what’s been taught before playing your next round.

Pros hit 1000’s of balls to embed changes so you think an amateur can after a ‘good lesson’ and a few 100 balls during the week?

Trodski

Visit site
I genuinely believe that amateur golfers just think too much about their golf swing whilst out on the course....I dont even know what early extension/sequencing is!!!

I suspect that players who struggle with taking their lessons out on to the course with them, are largely trying to "think their way through the swing" on course....so they are trying to consciously set their arms/bodies in positions that the pro has told them....rather than swing freely and naturally without any active swing thoughts.

If it takes 4 months to figure out what has been imparted then either the information given simply is wrong and does not work....or you need to put more practice in on the range to ingrain it, so it becomes natural so you dont have to think about things on the course.

Early extension is one of the biggest killers of the amateur golfers swing. Put it this way I can’t see me getting much lower than 8 with it.
I’ve swang my own swing for 5 years, I think I’ve just about maxed out what I can achieve with it.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I think it'll vary wildly deepening on player ability
A 6 handicap trying to get to 3 will be very different to a 28 player trying to get to 18

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Because you’re trying to do something which feels a fair bit different from what you are used to ?‍♂️?
That's just the typical crap that teaching pros spout. Only in golf do we put up with this logic. I've never had a skiing lesson or tennis lesson where the instructor says "expect to be crap at first). So what if it feels different. It should still work instantly whilst you get accustomed to the feeling.
Golfers are so gullible

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Pros hit 1000’s of balls to embed changes so you think an amateur can after a ‘good lesson’ and a few 100 balls during the week?
Do they. You know this how? Rob rock gives his golfers 10 balls to see of the change is something they feel they can work with. If it doesn't work he takes a different route

Trodski

Visit site
That's just the typical crap that teaching pros spout. Only in golf do we put up with this logic. I've never had a skiing lesson or tennis lesson where the instructor says "expect to be crap at first). So what if it feels different. It should still work instantly whilst you get accustomed to the feeling.
Golfers are so gullible

Absolute nonsense.

By that logic, every change you ever make should work instantaneously without the need for practice or repetition.

Trodski

Visit site
Do they. You know this how? Rob rock gives his golfers 10 balls to see of the change is something they feel they can work with. If it doesn't work he takes a different route

So after the 10 balls that’s it?

Working through stuff in a lesson, you can see better shots. Replicating it under pressure is slightly different no?

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
So after the 10 balls that’s it?

Working through stuff in a lesson, you can see better shots. Replicating it under pressure is slightly different no?
Yes if after 10 balls his golfer feels he can't work with the change and or it doesn't have the desired outcome then he will find another way to fix the issue. Peter cowen also teaches "if the player can't show improvement with the teacher stood next to him then going away and hitting 100's of balls definitely isn't going to work either.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Absolute nonsense.

By that logic, every change you ever make should work instantaneously without the need for practice or repetition.
Every change should work instantly or at least show rapid signs of fixing the issue. Going away and practicing will embed the knowledge so it becomes second nature.

This nonsense of "don't worry you'll get used to it" is utter crap. I had a driver lesson last week. The pro gave me a solution to the issue. It feels extremely odd to me but it worked straight away. I'm not sure if the extreme feeling I have to feel will ever feel normal but I don't mind doing it because it works.

What pros actually mean is "it could be a plethora or reasons why you have the problem you do so it might take me a while to sort it out". At least I can respect a man for being honest

Trodski

Visit site
Yes if after 10 balls his golfer feels he can't work with the change and or it doesn't have the desired outcome then he will find another way to fix the issue. Peter cowen also teaches "if the player can't show improvement with the teacher stood next to him then going away and hitting 100's of balls definitely isn't going to work either.

I didn’t ever say that I didn’t see an improvement in the lesson. You said that.

Seeing if a change is possible in 10 balls and seeing a change in ball flight/strike is not the same as being to do it consistently.

If you think that pros don’t hit 1000’s of balls to embed the changes made by their coach, you are wrong.