Golf lesson - grip change - rubbish...

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Good point, as a continuation, what about trying different club sequences during practice sessions say driver or 3-wood then a 6,7,8 or 9 iron and finally a pitching wedge as you would when out on the course, could even chuck your rescue in there somewhere, your thoughts...:thup:

Mentally playing your course is a good way to do this.

Back on topic though, stick with it OP.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Usually you would change the grip for a reason?

You didn't mention what shot shape you usually play. was the pro trying to stop a hook? are you holding off the release and playing a fade?

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Grip changes are so frustrating, because it seems such a minor thing to change, but it has an impact on everything else in the swing. The position of the arms feels strange plus the clubface is pointing in a different direction, so making a clean contact with the ball suddenly seems very hard to achieve, because all the micro-motions around impact, which have become automatic, suddenly don't fit anymore. I changed mine from a very weak grip to a stronger one last year and it took me about a month to get really comfortable with it.

BoadieBroadus

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
i had been playing and having lessons regularly for a couple of years and not really getting anywhere until my pro left the country. the first thing my new pro did in his first lesson was to sort my grip out - just a very standard neutral vardon grip.

it was, and feel that that lesson will always be the best money i ever spent on golf.

stick with it, it will bed in quicker than you think. and always keep an eye on it regressing to your previous grip.

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Visit site
First time post.
Defo stick with it though, agree with the post about 'playing your course' at the range, as it does help focus.
Re your grip, in Hogan's book, he suggests keeping a club close by when you are at home and practice the grip for a few moments whilst sitting down - it will soon become more natural and when you get to the range, as the grip is (hopefully) more natural, you won't be thinking about it so much

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Stick with it, changes are meant to feel different because its not what your used too. When I go through a swing change I always get some practice in the house without a ball. Anytime I go into the room where the clubs are I get one out and have a swing or partial swing depending on the change. I also just head out to the garden and have a few full swings working on it. And over a couple of weeks it becomes more natural feeling.

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I had a lesson and a grip change about 5 years ago, my hand was sore and it felt awful for ages. Iv felt the same after nearly every lesson Iv had as your body/swing is doing something it's not used. Best bit advice I can give is stuck with it, practise plenty and when it starts to feel and like it's not the first thing on your mind when you pick a club up go back and see your pro and make sure you haven't lapsed back into your old grip without realising it.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
A good grip and its relationship to the club face are fundamental to playing good golf. Step one is always to aim the bottom edge of the club face down the target line and step two is to grip the club properly. The V's between your thumbs and forefinger should point somewhere between your chin (weak) and right shoulder (strong), assuming you play right handed. After that it's just a question of practice.

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
Usually you would change the grip for a reason?

You didn't mention what shot shape you usually play. was the pro trying to stop a hook? are you holding off the release and playing a fade?

This. This is the most important post of all. Why are you changing it.....? It may be strong at setup but perfect at impact, just because it looks wrong doesn't mean it is.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I got to 5 with a dodgy baseball grip, compounded by having my top hand thumb on top of the finger tips of my lower hand. Went for a lesson, and the pro advised to change. Changed it, and then went and played a scratch league match no problem.

The pro was gobsmacked that I'd played with the new grip, and even said if he'd known I was playing a league match he wouldn't have advised the change.

Seriously, I don't get this myth of change is hard. Just do it. Yes it feels different but of course it will. Why get hung up on it?

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
In simple terms, and up to a point, if you are slicing you should strengthen your grip, V's pointing more towards your right shoulder, and if hooking V's more towards your chin. Timing also comes into the equation.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In short - stick with it...but practice it with wedge shots first. Short pitches. Don't go out and try to rip driver with the new swing. Just little pitches to get comfy, and feel the strike, then work upwards.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
What i dont understand with golf, and it only seems to be golf is when a golf pro gets away with saying "its going to be worse before its better" in what other game or sport would you accept this from someone your paying. The golf pro i use says if it doesn't feel right or begin to feel right within 10 shots then lets try something else.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
It is quite difficult to change your golf swing once it is grooved, even if it's rubbish. If you make a change you have to exaggerate it at first and then forget about it a few weeks later, otherwise some other fault will set in. I have never yet made a change where my golf has not got worse before it got better!

clarke_111

Medal Winner
Visit site
Cheers for all the responses and positive encouragement!

To those asking about shot shape-I tend to hit the ball relativity straight, however the ball flight was a little low. Basically what I was doing at address were a number of things that de-lofted the club leading me to make compensations in my swing (holding off release, setting up with the face a little open etc). So now weaker grip (left hand) weight slightly on right side at address, face square to target are all things that should help get a higher ball flight. The issue is that if I used the same release the face would end up way open as before my grip/set up helped me to square it.

Interestingly I went out in the course yesterday and tried it out. It actually started feeling ok after a few holes. I may still be a little strong with the left hand, but I was conciously trying to keep it weaker, plus put in all the other set up changes that were suggested. Struck the ball well and ended up with a gross 86 on a par 70 course playing off 18 (so -2 net), which I was very happy with on a course I haven't played that much and in windy conditions. Esp after a poor start with two doubles on the first 2 holes. Clearly it is worth sticking with!!

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
The golf pro i use says if it doesn't feel right or begin to feel right within 10 shots then lets try something else.

I think the problem here is that the concept of feeling different relates to feeling awkward, whilst there simply isn't any concept of feeling 'right', only one of feeling comfortable/normal.