Playing golf over winter

Gowferdee

Visit site
Not a member of a club yet, but looking at joining a local club who have a good offer for 1/11 to 31/3 - the course is open all year with no winter greens, mats etc.

Just curious how often folk play over winter - does the weather usually curtail a lot of planned golf for you? Was thinking maybe get a dozen rounds in - some weekend and a few midweek mornings if I work late shift.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Difficult to play as much as in the summer because of less daylight and dodgier weather but I try and play as often as I can.

bradleywedge

Visit site
Did it last year and vowed never again. Played on a course that protects the fairways, so pick and place in the semi, or use a mat, not ideal. Though to be fair the greens were mostly in use unless it froze. The thing is it now rains pretty incessantly from now until April, so it's always very wet, ball doesn't roll, plugs, rough is too high so can't find your ball.

For me golf is a 6 month season if your lucky, hence why I will never join a golf club

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Going to be a suck it and see for me. We didn't have roll ups pre-Covid so had a Saturday and Sunday roll up so guaranteed a game. With limited booked tee times over the winter it'll be interesting to see how much demand there is and how difficult it is to get a tee time. To be honest one game a weekend and a day of practice wouldn't be the end of the world

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I always play through the winter. It's nice and soft. Drop and stop golf is my favourite as you get what you deserve in terms of strike, bounce and run

HarrogateHacker

Visit site
I enjoy playing through winter. Our club runs a Winter foursomes tournament which is good fun and keeps me practicing. I tend to try and Also get a few rounds on links / sand based courses as well as playing my own club

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I continue to play through the winter, every Saturday as long as courses are open. I have all the necessary clothing to stay warm and/or dry so I'd rather be out playing than stuck indoors.

Mandofred

Visit site
I play 3 times a week all year unless the course is closed. I usually throw in a practice day as well. We have been using mats on the fairways (or you can move your ball to to the closest fringe and no mat) during the winter. I love using mats.....it's not the real world, but you get a great lie.

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
WE still do Saturday comps (none qualifiers) fifteen holes, Wednesday section comps and winter league on a Sunday. So plenty of golf to get stuck in to.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I play as much as I can through the winter we also have a winter comp. best 4 rounds play anytime, it does get cold and wet sometimes but I still enjoy it.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I play pretty well as much in winter as summer so long as the course is open. Last winter was a bit of a wash out given the sheer volume of rain we had from Christmas to lockdown but that scenario only tends to come round every so many years.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I play through the winter, also enter our Winter League which motivates you to get out on the course even in the grimmest of weather.

I have a few sets less special irons and putters and use either early metal headed or plastic headed woods so that the wooden ones don't deteriorate.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I play all round. I live in the West Country where the only thing that stops us from playing is a prolonged heavy rain.

Be prepared to play with strangers with the amount of tee times available there is very little chance of playing in anything less than a 4 ball but it is agreat way to meet other players and decide if you want to go for for full membership.

Double check the winter offer, ours does not include playing on a Saturday on our 18 hole course only our 9 hole course.

Tommy10

Visit site
There's a winter league at my course, you can play competitively in it on Wed/Sat/Sun from November to end of Feb, stableford format and your 5 best scores are added up to get a winner by division. I can only get down on a Saturday or Sunday in winter due to work, unless I took a half day midweek.

Full greens all year, we had mats last year for 6 weeks or else play from 1st cut.

D

Deleted member 21258

Play as often as allowed to, down to weather, light and work.

That's means if lucky once a week, winter sucks;)

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
every saturday in a winter sweep

its amazing how many decent days we get in weather although im worried this year the state of the course hasn't been great this year and last weeks weather already has 3 holes on the edge of boggy in places

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I play all year around. Good suitable clothing, decent shoes and the right attitude. No harm in playing if it's a bit cold, or a bit of rain. Our course plays pretty well over the winter. We do use fairway protection but the greens are usually kept open. Also, it's quite nice to see the winter work the greens team are doing. Helps to heighten my anticipation for the following summer.
I've played Rugby in the winter where I couldn't feel my hands at the end to untie my laces. Golf in the winter is a doddle by comparison.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I'm looking forward to this winter. I retire in 2 months so will be able to play whenever the weather is decent. Nothing worse than looking forward to your weekly game at the weekend only for it to be tipping down and the course is closed.