Playing golf abroad on your own

thesheriff

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi all,

I've booked to go to Spain in July to Sant Jordi (east coast on the border between Catalan and Valencia).

I'd like to sneak away from the fam at some point and get some golf in. I had an idea that I could email a local club/society and potentially tag along for a round for some good company, perhaps advice on the course and some local hospitality.

Is this a commonly done thing? I would just find rocking up and paying a single green fee as and b*ggering off a bit anonymous and a wasted opportunity to meet other golfers .

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Spain might be ok, but I have tried to do this in Portugal, and Argentina, and it did not work. They don't speak much english, pro shop, or players, and do not seem set up for fixing individuals up with a game.

Florida, no issues at all. Always found a game, always enjoyed it.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I cant imagine for a minute there wont be groups of expatriates living out there who meet and play some type of social/society golf on a regular basis

No idea who they are for that area but you should google around a bit and its sure to pop up with something on them

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
My experience of non tourist areas of Spain tells me that not many folk speak English or not as many as you might expect. Spent a fair bit of time in the Pyrenees and Picos and was really surprised how few spoke English.

D

Deleted member 18121

If you already know the club you're planning on playing - find their facebook page and put a post up about wanting a game. Someone might see it and say yes.

Bigfoot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I Canada, I have got a game easily by just turning up. I did use Facebook for Nuuk in Greenland but that was because they used their Facebook page as a website. They set me up with someone to go out just before their club championship teed off. There weren't too many due out though !!

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Good idea about their Facebook Page or Website. As you said, email in advance and ask what's what. That will answer many issues, language for starters!

I get by in French and (to a lesser extent) Spanish, but have never had language issues in Spain or Portugal. (everyone seemed to have great English and crikey, hard to understand is Portuguese) As said earlier, out of the tourist areas it gets thinner.... but the presence of a golf course often means tourists!

It works in reverse. A bunch of former colleagues from France arranged a trip to Aberdeen... all speak excellent English. They struggled!!

Folk are helpful... when staying a Cape Grace hotel in Cape Town, I asked them to fix me up with a game... got an email asking what clubs I used... I said "Ping." 10 mins later and other email asking about "colour code!" That's service! :D

Last edited:

hors limite

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I know that part of Spain a bit and it's not as awash with expats. Panoramica is the closest course. Why not send them a mail and ask about societies or pop down and have a chat when you're there? In any event,I'm sure they would fix you up with a game with some English speaking players - good luck.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I Googled golf societies for the area I moved to. Quite a few have weekly meetings, and many will accept visitors, although you may not be able to enter the comp/fiddle.