Playing on your own

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
For buzz and banter, a game with friends. For pure relaxation, a game late of an evening on my own.

Dannyj1984

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Having only just joined and not really knowing anyone yet I've always gone preparing to play on my own. Twice though I've turned up and been asked if I want to pair up with others which was fine.
Still being quite new I like the idea of not having others watching :) although yesterday I was with another guy and played the best I've played since joining.
My only concern playing on my own is that if the course is really quiet then you feel a bit vulnerable. I would imagine as golf is seen as a bit of a rich mans sport, you might get some unscrupulous types wandering around? Not sure how others feel on this?

JakeWS

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Having only just joined and not really knowing anyone yet I've always gone preparing to play on my own. Twice though I've turned up and been asked if I want to pair up with others which was fine.
Still being quite new I like the idea of not having others watching :) although yesterday I was with another guy and played the best I've played since joining.
My only concern playing on my own is that if the course is really quiet then you feel a bit vulnerable. I would imagine as golf is seen as a bit of a rich mans sport, you might get some unscrupulous types wandering around? Not sure how others feel on this?

You have 14 big metal sticks to ward off any attackers.

Goldie

Club Champion
Visit site
I enjoy playing on my own find it very relaxing. At our course the airport flight path changes in an evening so we get all the planes coming in to land flying low over the 6th hole.
For some reason always seem to play better on my own as well, not sure whether its due to pace of play or lack of distraction.

badgermat

Club Champion
Visit site
While I don't mind playing in a group, playing alone is half of what golf is about for me. It's a meditative activity that helps me clear my mind by focusing on a set of mechanical processes and a simple goal.

bm

selwood90

Head Pro
Visit site
Don't mind either myself. Play a full 18 once a week at least alone. Find it nice and relaxing and allows you to clear your head of life's usual stresses and worries for 3 and a half hours. But do enjoy playing with other members seems to spur me on a bit to play better and put a good account of myself across golfing wise. Ofcourse that isn't always the case but we all have our good and bad days.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Started with all solo golf but haven't played a solo round for about 5 years and I don't really miss it. Closest I've got was a round with my wife or daughter driving the buggy (so technically playing a solo round I suppose but not in the thread context)

Seems like a wasted opportunity unless there really is no other option/PP's available

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
I used to play a lot of solo golf, fantastic on a summer's evening to wind down from a day's work. Used to like trying a few chips from awkward spots around the greens as a challenge, and finishing in the twilight when you can barely see your ball land with only the birdsong for company. Happy days.

kerber0s1983

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I play a fair bit on my own usually after work to work on a few things rather than be on the range to have proper targets etc, slopes to work with.

I also tend to play 2 balls a fair bit, usually 1 as the digressive play on every hole and the other more conservative, to get a better feel of which holes to really attack in comp's and where i can afford misses etc.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Play mostly with friends. Lucky enoughenough to have lots of people to play with, but cancan happily wamder round on my own for 8/10/12 or even the full 18.

Sometimes there is only so much range/practice ground I can do. Travelling 24 miles round trip to the course makes me want to play atleast 8 (9th goes off next to 1st) so It doesn't feel like a wasted journey.

For the first time a few weeks ago I popped some headphones in. Teed off about 1930 and got 8 holes in. Finished 1 under. 2 birdies, 1 bogie, 5 pars. Hit all fairways, 6/8 greens IIRC. Never played better golf and its something I'll do much more of from now on.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I often turn up at the club and if there is no one to join up with I will quite happily go out on my own.
One good thing is that you can hit another ball if you wish, providing you aren't holding anyone up.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I don't like playing on my own, i need some sort of competitiveness and just end up buggering around hitting balls all over the place, so avoid it if possible.

might play 6 holes on our nine hole course if I'm taking the dogs for a walk along the beach and its quite.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
played a few solo rounds. Quite enjoyed them.

Nothing worse than when the course is full though and you end up playing through constantly.. did a round in just under 3 hours on my own but played through 9 groups.. all those eyes watching lol

and like others said no-one around to witness when you pull off a cracking shot (I remember when were I had just a view of the right hand edge of the green 130 yards away with a tree about 70 yards in front of me , big oak, and i managed to shape the shot round perfectly to land on the middle of the green) no1 cared :( lol

havent done it for least a year and probably wouldnt now.. I did it more when I was a member of a club as I would just go and play. Now I wouldnt activity seek playing alone really.. prefer finding a playing partner and if not I dont play now. I think this could be due to the fact I joined my golf range on their unlimited balls per month deal so if i cant play ill go practice.. might look to join as a gold member of their soon so be able to use the members only little course they have.. be good for summer rounds

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
I enjoy going for 9 or so holes on my own every now and again, especially on a summer evening, but don't think I would bother doing 18 on my tod.

Quite often set off on my own if nobody around the tee then join up with others out on the course

Kaizer_Soze

Head Pro
Visit site
I also tend to play 2 balls a fair bit, usually 1 as the digressive play on every hole and the other more conservative, to get a better feel of which holes to really attack in comp's and where i can afford misses etc.

I tend to do this as well, you can guarantee however that if I hit a big slice off the tee, the 2nd ball is usually a massive hook lol