Played Stableford for the first time!

craigstardis1976

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi People!

Following from my last thread about how to suggest a game I can report meeting the guy for 18 holes went well. I suggested a game of his choice and he said "Stableford" I had read about it on here and he explained the rules to me...We had a great time, he was an 18 handicap, myself off 14 and I scored 39 points (21-19) and he also scored 39 so we called it an honorable draw and retired to the bar!

So is 39 points a reasonable score for a 14 handicap player?

Actually, just to keep things interesting as I often play solo rounds or rounds with strangers who do not have a handicap I may try for a few weeks keeping my Stableford score just for something else to play with.

Craig.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It's always good to better your handicap.However in the winter months when courses are normally shorter I think it's a whole lot easier to achieve.

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
39 points is a very good score. Assuming SSS = par, then 36 points is level handicap. So you were 3 under handicap.
Nice shooting.

Outside of comps most people play stableford, so you will see a lot of this format.

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hank:

I should add I am in Arizona...not winter golf here!!! It was sunny and 87 degrees Fahrenheit!

Oh well then that just confuses things thanks to the wonderful slope system. Also make me extremely jealous. Would love to go back to Arizona having spent a month there in my teens. Good to hear you played for enjoyment.

Oh and 21+19 is 40 btw ;)

WWG

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Hi People!

Following from my last thread about how to suggest a game I can report meeting the guy for 18 holes went well. I suggested a game of his choice and he said "Stableford" I had read about it on here and he explained the rules to me...We had a great time, he was an 18 handicap, myself off 14 and I scored 39 points (21-19) and he also scored 39 so we called it an honorable draw and retired to the bar!

So is 39 points a reasonable score for a 14 handicap player?

Actually, just to keep things interesting as I often play solo rounds or rounds with strangers who do not have a handicap I may try for a few weeks keeping my Stableford score just for something else to play with.

Craig.

I find it incredible that you have managed to get to a 14 handicap without ever playing Stableford. I rarely play anything else. By the way 39 points is very very good.

Jack_bfc

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I play very few single stablefords any more.

As 99% of summer comps are medals...

For me 39 points would be one of the rounds of the season.. Anytime you shoot under HC means you have played some of your best golf...