Played medal off the whites

Status
Not open for further replies.

AddisonRoad

Visit site
As someone relatively new to the sport compared to most people on here, I feel handicaps can be awkward. There is always going to be a time when someone plays well below their handicap in a comp and gets viewed as a bandit. However, it's clear that if this story is true and not a wind-up, it's not in the spirit of the sport at all.

At present, I haven't been able to submit a card for a while because I use iGolf and I've been playing with people that don't use the EG app. I've been shooting well below my official handicap (10 strokes below the other day), so I would never enter a comp or my society day without submitting more cards that reflect my current skill level. While I find G1z1's posts very entertaining, if I were involved in a society event or comp with him, I would be fuming (especially if i knew the scores he was recording in his personal scoring app).

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I would argue that a phone that you touch many times throughout the day would harbour more germs than a newspaper so wouldn’t recommend it.

at the risk of derailing the thread, I would have thought a newspaper would be worse as multiple people could be handling it (and taking it to the loo) during the day.

Springveldt

Visit site
You take your phone into the toilet? Hope you clean it after ?
Wait, you don't?

You don't read it between wipes ffs. You read it while doing the business, put it in your pocket, wipe, flush, wash hands and then use the phone again. It's no different to using it while sitting in the living room, bedroom, waiting in the car etc.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Indeed I do, and I imagine 99% of other people do too.

Its OK though, I dont get any piss or sh1t on my hands or phone and I shut the lid before I flush.

since we're off topic anyway... I don't and wont, just imagine if it rang or got a message, I don't get paid anywhere near enough to deal with any work on the bog and I'd hate to think I might call a mate and they're talking back to me from their throne :sick:

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
since we're off topic anyway... I don't and wont, just imagine if it rang or got a message, I don't get paid anywhere near enough to deal with any work on the bog and I'd hate to think I might call a mate and they're talking back to me from their throne :sick:

You wouldnt read a message, or send a message whilst on the throne?

Springveldt

Visit site
As someone relatively new to the sport compared to most people on here, I feel handicaps can be awkward. There is always going to be a time when someone plays well below their handicap in a comp and gets viewed as a bandit. However, it's clear that if this story is true and not a wind-up, it's not in the spirit of the sport at all.

At present, I haven't been able to submit a card for a while because I use iGolf and I've been playing with people that don't use the EG app. I've been shooting well below my official handicap (10 strokes below the other day), so I would never enter a comp or my society day without submitting more cards that reflect my current skill level. While I find G1z1's posts very entertaining, if I were involved in a society event or comp with him, I would be fuming (especially if i knew the scores he was recording in his personal scoring app).
That's the problem I have as well. In the days of Congu it was difficult to get cards handed in while improving due to no general rounds etc so it would happen through no fault of the player. Now with WHS there is nothing stopping people who are fast improving getting general play cards in before playing in the weekly comp. It's different if you only have time for 1 round a week but the OP is playing nearly every day.

It's like when I went to our society day this year, we hadn't had one since before COVID and I was supposed to be off 12 in the society. I told them to cut me to 6 before we went off as that's my official handicap now and I'd have hated to win while being off 12. In the end I finished 2nd off of 6 and would have robbed a lad of his first victory and he's been in the society for 12 years. I would not have been comfortable with that at all.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
You wouldnt read a message, or send a message whilst on the throne?

Nope, because I wouldn't take my phone in there
Its a place of function I only go in when i really have to and I'm in and oot in as short a time as possible
I get that for some its a place of solitude/reflection (or catching up on world events) and they might be in there for 10-15 minutes but that's not me

Swango1980

Visit site
Not read everybody's response, so maybe it was said. But, if anybody knows this guys club, can they send all his posts to the Club's Handicap Secretary, who can use it as evidence to immediately review his handicap? Also, send it to other golf clubs in his county, just in case he is the type who will happily enter Open competitions and win with ridiculous scores.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Fine - but only to a degree. As golfers and competitors what is core to how we play the game are values of honesty and integrity...the game is in deep trouble if these values are ignored or dismissed. In addition it is the case that in any competitive context - and that includes maintaining our handicaps - we each and every one of us has a responsibility - a 'duty of care' - to each other in respect of fairness - and that is playing to the rules; plus maintenance of the level playing field the handicap system is designed to provide. I suspect that some who have pushed back on aspects of what you have posted may see a bit too much of 'self' in what you describe as your approach to you golf. That said, you are of course free to adopt whatever approach you wish, but don't be surprised by the feedback you might receive - on and off the course.(y)
Saved me posting word for word SILH, spot on

Status
Not open for further replies.