Pitching Swing

Nick_Toye

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I think I just need some clarification really.

Years ago when I was in my teens I used to pitch as I would naturally see it. I used to bend my wrists and strike the ball in the same manner as if I was playing a backspin shot in Tennis, ie across the ball.

So I got into the habit of always bending my wrists on the shot.

Then in my 20s someone told me that you need to keep your arms and wrists straight throughout the swing. And today I am still doing that, but as I am re-learning the game again from a mature angle, I am wondering if I am doing it right or wrong.

I've watched a couple of videos on how to pitch, and also watching the pro's on telly, they bend the wrists.

So am I doing it wrong?

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It's generally recommended to keep the hands and wrists out of chip shots, ie those very close to the green. Pitch shots - those that need a little more club speed - need a little wrist break to avoid 'hoofing' too hard at it with your arms.

Having said that, if whatever you're doing works then keep doing it. :)

Nick_Toye

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It's generally recommended to keep the hands and wrists out of chip shots, ie those very close to the green. Pitch shots - those that need a little more club speed - need a little wrist break to avoid 'hoofing' too hard at it with your arms.

Having said that, if whatever you're doing works then keep doing it. :)

I'm going to try both methods tomorrow in my garden with my pitching net. Just got some new exciting clubs so still getting a feel of them. :)

D

Deleted Member 1156

Think of a pitch as just a shorter version of a normal swing, same action but just scale it down a bit and think about how far you want to hit the ball. Don't get all technical, the best short game people do it all on feel. Think Mickelson, Seve, Garcia etc

:thup:

Nick_Toye

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Think of a pitch as just a shorter version of a normal swing, same action but just scale it down a bit and think about how far you want to hit the ball. Don't get all technical, the best short game people do it all on feel. Think Mickelson, Seve, Garcia etc

:thup:

Yeah not bad players. :)