Pitching and chipping distances

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
In trying to sort my scoring clubs distances i tried a way to get full and partial hit distances with my 9 iron, pitching wedge, 51, 56, 60 clubs. I cannot do the clock method and it turned out that the best way to record results was to hit full shots gripping as normal and then going down the grip about an inch from the bottom and hitting a full swing again. I recorded these yardages. This was with the pro using GC2

9 iron 130 and 122

P/W. 122 and 105

51* 105 and 92

56* 82 and 78

60* 66 and 55

Any comments?

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Absolutely, usually wear a watch too for green centres etc too

Just started using one and surprised how much it helps.

I only know my rough yardages so go off feel.

Can see how your method might be useful but can't be overly bothered with the hassle and, off 19, other areas have a greater priority!

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I have done distances on GC2 and thought this was going to be great.

Then on the course during a round, the lie is slightly uphill/dowhill/sidehill.

Little big of rough or bare lie.

Wind is swirling.

Really cold day.

So many factors, I have 50 yards to back pin, do I use my 60 yard high shot or my 55 yard low shot.

Then chunk it 10 yards in front as I am thinking about too much

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
You're probably right Huds, i think it becomes more essential when you feel your long and medium game is going as well as you can. Im really looking to shave a shot or two off the short game and putting and rapidly need to sort my very iffy bunker play

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Wind is swirling.

Really cold day.

So many factors, I have 50 yards to back pin, do I use my 60 yard high shot or my 55 yard low shot.

I recognise that outcome. I don't like the clock face method as I find it too rigid and have been working hard to "feel" various distances with my 52 and 58 degree wedges. All good on a range or the practice ground but add in problems like a bare lie, downhill and over a bunker and a disaster is a swing of the club away.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site

Wind is swirling.

Really cold day.

I take all of those factors into account (as I do with irons) and calculate my number for that particular shot e.g. I'm 45 yards physically from my target but due to all the other outside factors it's a 55 yard shot for me.

So no cluttered mind, just a standard 55 yard pitch from 45 yards away, simples.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I recognise that outcome. I don't like the clock face method as I find it too rigid and have been working hard to "feel" various distances with my 52 and 58 degree wedges. All good on a range or the practice ground but add in problems like a bare lie, downhill and over a bunker and a disaster is a swing of the club away.

I just cant hit 9 o clock or 11 o clock, i usually chip and pitch using various lofts and varying swing speeds

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The numbers look a bit erratic Chris.

Gripping down on a 9i loses 8 yards but the same with a PW loses 17. Then 13, 4 and 11 for the other 3.

Not saying they're wrong, but I'd be wary of them being repeatable day in and day out.

I know the clock face isn't for everyone, but have you tried either feeling like you make a half or three quarter swing, or swinging back to hips, chest or shoulders?

You don't actually have to swing to those positions. Just feel like you do as long as it's repeatable.

FWIW, I was reading an article on DJ working on his pitching distances and his half swing with a 60° goes 85 yards. That's absolutely flat out for me!

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You're probably right Huds, i think it becomes more essential when you feel your long and medium game is going as well as you can. Im really looking to shave a shot or two off the short game and putting and rapidly need to sort my very iffy bunker play

Definitely. Its well worth a try :thup:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
The numbers look a bit erratic Chris.

Gripping down on a 9i loses 8 yards but the same with a PW loses 17. Then 13, 4 and 11 for the other 3.

Not saying they're wrong, but I'd be wary of them being repeatable day in and day out.

I know the clock face isn't for everyone, but have you tried either feeling like you make a half or three quarter swing, or swinging back to hips, chest or shoulders?

You don't actually have to swing to those positions. Just feel like you do as long as it's repeatable.

FWIW, I was reading an article on DJ working on his pitching distances and his half swing with a 60° goes 85 yards. That's absolutely flat out for me!

I agree the numbers are a bit all over the place but i dont feel right with 'set positions ' it may take some practice or a change of wedge to be sorted

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I've not done this for a few years. First off, get the lofts checked, and if you're really keen and its forged irons, get them checked twice a season. Then I did it by going down an inch on the grip. For me it was close 7yds between full grip and down an inch.

I never did the clock thing. I just couldn't get away with it.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Distances you hit clubs is only really an estimate, there has to be an element of feel especially inside 60 yards, you really have to be thinking where you want to land it and how the ball will react when it lands. The pun may be 61 yards but over a ridge which is 9 yards short, then you'd really be looking to fly it 49/50 yards land 1-2 yards short of the ridge let it skip check and trickle down. You need to get out play/practice put yourself in these situations, these are the most fun shots to play. When you start practicing these kind of shots you realise how pointless the clock method is because you look at the shot look at the green pick your landing spot and play, don't think of technique, let your imagination play the shot. It's just feel. You might hit a 7 iron 167 carry flat calm but face with a shot of 128 yards to centre of the green, heavy wind into you might want to chip a 7 iron keep it out the wind, you just have to feel it in there. Just get out and play and learn to hit the shots, it's really that simple.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I've not done this for a few years. First off, get the lofts checked, and if you're really keen and its forged irons, get them checked twice a season. Then I did it by going down an inch on the grip. For me it was close 7yds between full grip and down an inch.

I never did the clock thing. I just couldn't get away with it.

Cheers Brian, i just wanted a bit of science behind my swing given, like you, i can't do the clock method

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Distances you hit clubs is only really an estimate, there has to be an element of feel especially inside 60 yards, you really have to be thinking where you want to land it and how the ball will react when it lands. The pun may be 61 yards but over a ridge which is 9 yards short, then you'd really be looking to fly it 49/50 yards land 1-2 yards short of the ridge let it skip check and trickle down. You need to get out play/practice put yourself in these situations, these are the most fun shots to play. When you start practicing these kind of shots you realise how pointless the clock method is because you look at the shot look at the green pick your landing spot and play, don't think of technique, let your imagination play the shot. It's just feel. You might hit a 7 iron 167 carry flat calm but face with a shot of 128 yards to centre of the green, heavy wind into you might want to chip a 7 iron keep it out the wind, you just have to feel it in there. Just get out and play and learn to hit the shots, it's really that simple.

I agree with most that you post