Pitching and chipping distances

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Unfortunately you don't seem to be getting a good range of distances by using this "gripping down" method as many of your grip down figures are the same as the grip up figure on the next club up.
What is it you can't do in the clock-face method? Is it backswing or through swing? Are you trying to keep your through swing the same length as your backswing (e.g. 9 o'clock back 3 o'clock through)? If so try going back to the desired position but swing through to a full finish. This is recommended by Dave Pelz as it ensures no deceleration through the ball and gives more consistent yardages.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I don't think it's a bad thing to hit the same distance with 2 clubs (one gripped down, or with a shorter swing). It can give completely different flight/spin/roll out. This in turn increases options in different situations (wind/pin position/green slope etc)

GreggerKBR

Head Pro
Visit site
The issue is speed control, it can be learned. It's not something you can control with a clockface/position methods.

Recommend you get on a launch monitor, or get a portable and then practice shots inside 120 by doing a tests.

Let's say objective is to hit say 55 yards carry, range matt, range ball, std conditions.
You need to hit 3 shots, (a) higher, (b) lower (c) then target yardage.
So shots = a. 65 yards, b. 45 yards, c. 55 yards.
As you get better narrow the gaps.

When you've done this for a few months it just sort of becomes natural.
You stop asking questions and doubting and giving yourself instructions.
You just get the yardage, assess the conditions, pick the shot, take a couple of calibration swings and go.

I've tried the clockface/positions - it sort of works but only if you understand your speed control and keep all variables out of it.
Which, in real golf, is not really an option.

There are very few golfers who excel at every distance 0-20, 20-60 and 60-100
Recently I watched James Ridyard video of how some pro's lead one category but are way down in others.

GreggerKBR

Head Pro
Visit site
I don't think it's a bad thing to hit the same distance with 2 clubs (one gripped down, or with a shorter swing). It can give completely different flight/spin/roll out. This in turn increases options in different situations (wind/pin position/green slope etc)

spot on... the beautiful game!
Aint nothing like it.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Something I am looking to work on myself soon, really struggle with wedges at the moment. Will be purchasing the short game bible soon and work on Pelz's method and see how it works out.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Fair point. Do you use it?

Absolutely.
I was taught the drill about 40 years ago so it was not invented by Dave Pelz.
But that is not to say everyone should use it.

I think there are a number of ways to chip/pitch
Pick one club and learn how to hit it different distances by varying the technique.
Learn one technique and vary the distance by varying the club selection.
Pick one club and one technique and vary the distance by 'feel'
Pick one club and one technique and vary the distance by using the clockface drill
Or if you have loads of wedges, all of the above

Became really good with 60* LW from 60 yards - holed out 3 times at least.
But have moved on now.

How do you move on from holing your LW?

GreggerKBR

Head Pro
Visit site
Ha! Fair point! I moved on because from 60 I was deadly for a while, still good - but haven't holed out for a while now.
But I struggled to hit say 95 yards then 78, then 48, then 104 etc. The constantly changing numbers you get in golf.
So I kept the vague idea of swing length in place but now try not to get too tied down with it.
Gave up the "control" the length idea and just let it go.

I do agree - there are different ways.
Like you said though "pick one (1) club and use clockface drill".
But that limits your option on trajectory and AoA and Spin-loft from different lies - which will massively affect distance.
Or have I misunderstood?

Last edited: