Pitch marks.....

drs1878

Head Pro
Visit site
What's your clubs stance on pitch marks? Is there any initiatives in place with members to repair pitch marks left by other others, ie groups designated to particular greens?

We have a large number of pay and play, together with usual members and a really good junior section but as the ground gets a little softer there are more and more pitch marks appearing in the greens....

Personally I have no problem repairing these marks on the greens, made by myself and others as I am waiting to putt but others seem oblivious....... I am not directing this at any particular type of player just a general question.....

The green keeper at our club has worked wonders and it's a shame that people aren't looking after the course!!

Thanks in advance for sharing any ideas......

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We still struggle. Plenty of adverts including flyers on the tables in the bar recently but so many still unrepaired marks on greens. Has been a problem for ages and how do you educate people who don't think it's their problem or the need to do so?

D

Deleted member 15344

Education and signs

Responsibility also onto the members to ensure they do their pitch marks and others and also ensure their pp do as well and if they spot others leaving pitch marks behind then highlight the error to them

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Education and signs

Responsibility also onto the members to ensure they do their pitch marks and others and also ensure their pp do as well and if they spot others leaving pitch marks behind then highlight the error to them

All fine and dandy in principal but as I said how do you educate those set in their ways and refuse to do even their own. Every club has this type of member and it's trying to break down these barriers, to some that are usually established members

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you have a starter or maybe a willing committee member do the odd spot checks on the first tee to make sure members have pitch repair tool , wont make them repair them but will raise awareness among members

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
The belfry has to be the nations worst at pitch marks and un raked bunkers

I was stood next to the green the other day allowing a group to play through. Two of them hit the green and left the mother of pitch marks and done nothing about them. As they started walking off the green i said " any chance of fixing your pitch marks fellas? " their response was " what, are you the the green police?" i didnt know what to say so i said "no but i am the golf operations manager on my day off so repair your pitch mark or you'll be leaving !!!!!!!"

Can't believe they bought that rubbish. Mighty satisfying watching them scuttle back to the green though

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
If you have a starter or maybe a willing committee member do the odd spot checks on the first tee to make sure members have pitch repair tool , wont make them repair them but will raise awareness among members

Interesting point. I wonder if MikeH or the GM team could give a ball park figure on how much it costs them when a magazine sends these out with a monthly issue. I'm wondering how cost prohibitive it would be for a club to order a bulk supply and give a couple out to each member along with the bag tag sticker and membership bumph

D

Deleted member 15344

All fine and dandy in principal but as I said how do you educate those set in their ways and refuse to do even their own. Every club has this type of member and it's trying to break down these barriers, to some that are usually established members

You can't educate them

Unfortunately along with other sports golf has its own fair share of selfish people who don't think of others on the golf course nor care about their actions on a golf course

These are also the ones who first complain about the standard dropping

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I see less at our place when the greens are softer as pitch marks are like divots and the ball stops dead. Therefore they stand right next to them.

D

Deleted member 15344

I mainly use a tee to repair as do a few others

Have pitch mark repairs as souveniers mainly

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
You can't educate them

Unfortunately along with other sports golf has its own fair share of selfish people who don't think of others on the golf course nor care about their actions on a golf course

These are also the ones who first complain about the standard dropping

I agree on both points (scary!!). You can't educate them and at a risk of the wrath of some I'd suggest many are senior golfers who play regularly and perhaps juniors with a "not my problem" chip on their shoulder. Some will be new members perhaps not aware of the need, but at least they are perhaps more open to being shown how and why.

In my experience, it is usually exactly those who don't repair that are the first to moan, not just about the greens but things like bunkers and I'll go as far to say they may only give them a cursory glance with a bunker when they go in one. As I say I may be generalistic but definitely something I've seen a lot at the clubs I've been at

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
We have signs by each green and its plastered all over the notice boards too.
You'll still find half a dozen on each green.
I found one within 9 inches of the hole last Autumn...
During a solo practice round last year I fixed 30 pitch marks on our 9th green.
I could done more but my back was getting sore...

drs1878

Head Pro
Visit site
Sounds like its a general problem and not just ours...... I think the seniors get the finger pointed but when ever I have seen them play they tend to play a lot more bump and runs or putters from 20 yards off the green etc and it tends to be the 'better' players who are attacking the green...... The ones who you would think know better!!

It's ok giving pitch repair tools away... It's a different story getting people to use them..... Personally I'm chuffed when I make a pitch mark so take great delight in repairing it ;)

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I played with a guy a couple of weeks ago who, when I pulled him up for not repairing his pitch mark, said "Don't we employ green keepers to do that?" Unbelievable! :rolleyes:

P.S. It's often the players who don't repair pitch marks who complain the loudest about the greens being bumpy! :mmm:

Last edited:

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
We tried a system of allocating the looking after of each green to groups of members alpabetically but it didn't seem to work. It's rare that I'll repair only one pitchmark on a green, you just can't help seeing them. I'm surprised nobody has invented a mechanical pitch mark repairer. If it could be operated by a greenkeeper whilst sitting down the problem would disappear.

nta73

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Also do this.. we have quite a bit of water on the course, so greens can get quite soft. Quite a few craters on the greens this morning.

exactly that, greens are so soft now there are bomb craters everywhere and i just think its something i can do to help, but also with the thought that if we all repair a few then so much the better.