Ping SF Tec fairways, G400 v G reviews please?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Me and my G25 4 wood are not quite getting on as I'd like. I would very much like to try out an SF tec model, as this has been successful for me in the driver (current and previous).

Can anyone here say they've used both the G400 and the G SFT models? Was the G400 a decent upgrade on the G and worth the money? Or was the different negligible?

Reviews also welcome if you've only used one or the other, of course. Thanks.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
When you say you are not getting on, what exactly is the problem?

I have had numerous 3 woods over the years as I am a terrible 3 wood player off the deck. No 3 wood is going to help if you are making poor contact, which is my problem (fats and thins). I currently have the Ping G 3 wood and i have lofted it up to 15.5 degrees. To be quite honest, it performs exactly the same as the others I have had, when I make a good swing and good contact it goes well, when I make poor contact it doesn't. I find it good for off the tee when the driver is miss behaving and find that very easy to hit.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
When you say you are not getting on, what exactly is the problem?

I have had numerous 3 woods over the years as I am a terrible 3 wood player off the deck. No 3 wood is going to help if you are making poor contact, which is my problem (fats and thins). I currently have the Ping G 3 wood and i have lofted it up to 15.5 degrees. To be quite honest, it performs exactly the same as the others I have had, when I make a good swing and good contact it goes well, when I make poor contact it doesn't. I find it good for off the tee when the driver is miss behaving and find that very easy to hit.
The G25 is a bit too fadey for me, hence why I'd like to try an SFT model. The SFT drivers are spot on so I'd like to try the same for the fairway wood.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Face to path, Indian, not the arrow.

I absolutely understand getting something new if confidence has gone in a club, we all do it but the fact remains, it's generally the player not the club.
That's fine, I think most here are aware now that I don't get much practise time in, I prefer just to play - and I know from the drivers that the SF Tec can and does help and makes a difference.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ahhh eBay are a bunch of b******ds, bloody 20% off means there's a G I can get for £88. :oops: That might be too good to turn down. :cry:

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Ahhh eBay are a bunch of b******ds, bloody 20% off means there's a G I can get for £88. :oops: That might be too good to turn down. :cry:
I paid £77 for mine including delivery on ebay about 3/4 months ago.

Keep an eye out for auctions and you can get some good deals.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
Only problem I’ve found with the SF tec it pops the balls very high off the face. I struggled to flight it down even remotely. Lost 30yrds from a i20 5 wood to a G SF tec 5 wood.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Only problem I’ve found with the SF tec it pops the balls very high off the face. I struggled to flight it down even remotely. Lost 30yrds from a i20 5 wood to a G SF tec 5 wood.
The way I hit the ball that may prove to be a positive.

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've tried the G400 fairways and did not find them any better than the G25s which I have in the bag. The G400 driver however is the best I have tried hence its found its way into my bag.

mikeb4

Head Pro
Visit site
Me and my G25 4 wood are not quite getting on as I'd like. I would very much like to try out an SF tec model, as this has been successful for me in the driver (current and previous).

Can anyone here say they've used both the G400 and the G SFT models? Was the G400 a decent upgrade on the G and worth the money? Or was the different negligible?

Reviews also welcome if you've only used one or the other, of course. Thanks.
The G400 sft driver is without doubt the best driver I have ever had now had it over a year, i look for forgiveness and distance has helped my handicap, quality club !

I also have the G400 5 wood (not sft) set at 17.5 again a very forgiving club and works well off the deck (which is important) and off the tee. there is no need for a 3 wood when I have this club