Ping G400 new - a good buy?

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Have been looking for some new irons, and had kind of settled on getting a second hand set of G410s. Have been monitoring them on ebay for the last few days and £400-£500 seems to be the going rate.

However, a number of the online retailers are doing the G400s new for £460, and there is one which has a 10% discount code, bringing them down to £413.

Is there much difference between both sets? Am guessing the answer is no, in which case, buying the G400s new seems a no-brainer?

One of the advantages is I can get the exact spec I want (I was a bit surprised that this option is still available on clubs launched over 3 years ago). I've done the old wrist-to-floor measurement, and come out as red dot.

The only disadvantage I can see is resale value when I come to punt them in a few years time.

Anything else I'm missing?

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Wrist to floor is not really connected to lie angle (dot colour).
That is worked out by checking strike pattern.
You can't beat getting a proper fitting when getting irons.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Wouldn't let that put you off. Likely they'll be near enough & they're easy enough to alter later if you need to. ZGL Golf on your side of the river would do it.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

The pro I go to for lessons is an approved Ping fitter. I did think about asking him if he could match the price, and getting him to do the fitting if the answer was yes. Obvious drawback is I'd have to wait until everything is open again, but I suppose that would not be the end of the world.

RichA

Visit site
I used the Ping charts before going for a fitting. Came out as Green dot + 0.5" shaft length.
Result of a 45 minute fitting was exactly the same but a step up to midsize grips made an enormous difference that I wouldn't have otherwise known.
I would get a free fitting from an impersonal megastore like American Golf (I'm not bitter - much) so you know your specs, then order them somewhere else.