Ping G400, G410, G425 Drivers

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I had the use of a new Ping G425 today. There was some utter dross, entirely me, but the good was very enjoyable. Easy to hit, good distance, trajectory etc. I can't justify the cost new and so I'm wondering how far back you can go in the series to get similar results? I'm thinking the leaps in tech can't be that big or would the difference in a G400 and G425 be clear?

Is a G400 close or would I really need to go to the G410?

Comments please Ping officianado's.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Liked the G400, a lot. Tried the G410 in its various guises. Not that impressed although I did think the LST was close enough to the G400 to warrant side-by-side testing. In truth, I couldn’t split them and it came down to personal preference. In the end I felt that although I could put either in the bag, I decided to stick with the Titliest.

Can’t say I’ve tried the G425.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I went from the G to the G425 a few months ago. I found a big difference, the 425 is definitely longer and straighter for me. Appreciate that doesn't really answer your question or help you particularly.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I have a G425 LTS and honestly, there are days where it feels like a cheat on a video game. You hit shots that you know are not great, yet the ball still goes a good distance, and fairly straight.

No idea on the other Pings I'm afraid but I would certainly say that I do not regret spending the money on my G425.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Everything I read or hear about the 425 says it's incredible to be honest. I have the 410 and I love it, but if you get the 425 at least it'll last longer before you have to upgrade again. My mate who has a huge slice got the 425 SFT and reckons it's completely saved his driving.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I have had Ping Clubs for 15/20 years having previously had the earlier models. There is not too much difference but new technology and a few tweaks with each model.

I have The SFT as I have a slow awing speed and do not hit it very far but it is extremely forgiving and today my partners said how much my driving had improved and I probably hit 12/14 fairways.

mymtake for what it is worth N. is taking into account what you will get for your existing drive and what the G410 will cost, after having a fitting, how much extra per week would it cost to hve the best spread ove a life of say 4 years.

Go for it, you are here once, and imagine what it will feel like when you are on the 1st tee at Pannal in September after telling everybody the night before that you expect a minimum of 250 metres!

Your choice, all great clubs.

Mandofred

Visit site
When I went from the 400 to 410 I thought it was just a little bit better....accuracy? about the same I thought, but just a few yards longer. You can definitely hear someone on the course nearby who hits the 425. That wouldn't stop me from buying one though, I've never understood why golfers would rather die than hit a club that doesn't "sound" right. At this point though, I'm going through a no more big/expensive brand purchases. Fed up with the silly high cost. Bought the Sub 70 irons a few months ago for less than half the cost of new Pings (and delivered in 11 days). I think I'm in the market for a new driver (recently having more trouble getting my drives up in the air, probably need a higher lofted face). Chances are it will might be something like a Sub 70 (£250) or maybe Cobra.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks all for the posts. I won't reply one by one as that will get dull for others. The noise is distinctive but it didn't bother me. I don't smash it anyway, swing is sadly gentle, so it isn't amplified.

The ball flew off the 425, better than my current Cobra F6. From the sounds of it the 400 does the same so I will start the hunt there. I could buy the 425 but it's more than the rest of my bag combined and that's a big psychological move. I can spend the difference on my remaining golf Opens and trips for they year ?.

Saying all that, tomorrow I could be pressing a button on either. Such is the brain of a golfer.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I’ve tried everything from the G onwards, not slot between other that the g425 sounding like a steel band. Lovely bat but I know a few who have swayed to other brands or not changed just because of the sound. My PP is cat1 and after a fitting he opted for the stealth because he just couldn’t cope with the sound.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Find it weird that people are put off by the sound of a driver. If it went straight and far it could sound like a screaming banshee for all I care. I've heard my mate hit his enough times and it sounds a little odd or different but not exactly offensive.