Ping Cracked Driver = new club! But not Ping!

njrose51

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
So discovered my ping g400 has a crack in the face. New drivers being tested. V excited to try the g425 range but one hit later no chance! What a horrid tinny cheap sound that club makes!! Narrowed down to Callaway and TM. Full fitting booked up to decide.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yep. I loved the g425 but that sound it awful. I'm usually the first person to call people out for sound preferences but this driver is off the chart. I have a sim2 now. Sooooooo much better sounding and feels amazing

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Having watched many reviews of the 425 and heard Fragger's close up i tend to agree with the OP...
I know sound and feel are very subjective but it seems the majority of reviews do mention the 425 not being a class leader in this aspect.
Some won't worry if it does what they want it to.
Some will, possibly, not swing fully with it, almost bracing themselves for the aural onslaught.
Many won't try it because they have heard that it sounds awful.
I'm a bit surprised that Ping haven't made it more "neutral" sounding - if that's even a possibility.
The 410 isn't the best sounding driver, especially when you miss the middle and if the 425 is worse, which it seems to be, then it won't be on my list to even try.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I don't mind the sound of the Pings, but I think the TM drivers sound dreadful. With that said, my current driver is a Sim. I couldn't care less what it sounds like. It performs fantastically well. And that is all that counts.

Last edited:

njrose51

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Having watched many reviews of the 425 and heard Fragger's close up i tend to agree with the OP...
I know sound and feel are very subjective but it seems the majority of reviews do mention the 425 not being a class leader in this aspect.
Some won't worry if it does what they want it to.
Some will, possibly, not swing fully with it, almost bracing themselves for the aural onslaught.
Many won't try it because they have heard that it sounds awful.
I'm a bit surprised that Ping haven't made it more "neutral" sounding - if that's even a possibility.
The 410 isn't the best sounding driver, especially when you miss the middle and if the 425 is worse, which it seems to be, then it won't be on my list to even try.
Spot on with the impact - g400 you can smash butI just didn’t want to hear this new one!

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Did you consider sending the cracked driver back to Ping via your pro or retailer.
They might supply another that you could sell on. Worth a try.

Reactions: AAC

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
To those not choosing a particular driver because of the way it sounds; you sound like ideal candidates to try hitting a persimmon wood. :)

I knew someone who could tell if an old wooden wood was solid persimmon or laminated maple by the sound it made striking the ball.
I couldn't.

The modern 460cc driver is a non-starter for me.
In order to hit it, I must tee too high, as if I were playing from a sidehill lie with my feet lower than the ball,
and I must position the ball too far forward in my stance.

I don't want a special "driver swing," and I find that my 13º #2 metalwood gets the job done for me as well as anything.

People my age don't have the swing speed for a 10º club anyway.. They play the ball forward and hit it on the upswing a little bit.
The large head is forgiving, I suppose, if one can come up with a swing for it.
Most can, but I've always found it problematic.

I also find that the upright lie angle of a modern driver makes me address the ball with the toe of the clubhead pointing a bit upward,
thus relying on shaft droop during the swing to bring it level.

I'm happy with my 1990s vintage 13º Titleist PT. If I can drive the ball 215 yards at age 74, I needn't be complaining.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I urge anyone interested in sound and in the market to try a PXG.

I got one recently and my God, it sounds and feels incredible.

Goes like stink too and cheap

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
To those not choosing a particular driver because of the way it sounds; you sound like ideal candidates to try hitting a persimmon wood out of the middle - it's almost impossible :)
Fixed that for you Nick..
Although, to be fair, you were pushing yours out a very decent distance yesterday...except the one on the first but we won't talk about that;)

D

Deleted member 1147

People my age don't have the swing speed for a 10º club anyway.. They play the ball forward and hit it on the upswing a little bit.
You are supposed to play the ball forward & hit a driver on the upswing, and that’s not a new thing.

D

Deleted member 1147

So discovered my ping g400 has a crack in the face. New drivers being tested. V excited to try the g425 range but one hit later no chance! What a horrid tinny cheap sound that club makes!! Narrowed down to Callaway and TM. Full fitting booked up to decide.
I tried the new Callaway recently and not only did it go a long way, but on miss hits it went much better than my current Titleist 917. I was purposely hitting it out of the toe and heel to test for those bad rounds when I can’t swing it properly, and the drop off was very low.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I knew someone who could tell if an old wooden wood was solid persimmon or laminated maple by the sound it made striking the ball.
I couldn't.

The modern 460cc driver is a non-starter for me.
In order to hit it, I must tee too high, as if I were playing from a sidehill lie with my feet lower than the ball,
and I must position the ball too far forward in my stance.

I don't want a special "driver swing," and I find that my 13º #2 metalwood gets the job done for me as well as anything.

The large head is forgiving, I suppose, if one can come up with a swing for it.
Most can, but I've always found it problematic.

I also find that the upright lie angle of a modern driver makes me address the ball with the toe of the clubhead pointing a bit upward,
thus relying on shaft droop during the swing to bring it level.

I'm happy with my 1990s vintage 13º Titleist PT. If I can drive the ball 215 yards at age 74, I needn't be complaining.
Some drivers now have a flat lie setting for this problem.

The Dog.

Visit site
I have an M6 and it’s undoubtedly the best driver I’ve ever owned. Even in my prime, I didn’t consistently hit it as far as I do now and I am 50.

Great driver and not expensive now that the SIM is out.

njrose51

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Who honestly cares what it sounds like if it’s gone long and straight ??‍♂️ Forgiveness and consistency over sound, 100%!!
I hear what you are saying and I never thought I’d be bothered by the sound. But the noise from the ping was just horrible, doesn’t matter that it was long, I just didn’t want to hit it hard. Was so gutted as I love my g400!!!

Visit site
Hey mate, contact ping direct, I cracked the face of my G410. Sent it back and had a new replacement G410 back in 4 days. I’ve even known of a guy send in his cracked 400 and getting the 410 back. Worth a try before shelling out. And thanks once again to Ping (Australia)...