Ping Custom Fit

Jamie23

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Went for a fitting for some Ping G30 irons last week.

Static fit had me at blue dot (.75* upright) with Ping Aqua grips which is one size down from standard

After doing the fitting the fitter put me to sliver dot (3.75* upright)

Seems like quite a jump from the static fit. I did hit a number of shots with the silver dot lie and did seem to hit them fairly well but the more I have looked in to it it seems seems that silver dot is more suited to a golfer over 6'0.

I am actually 5'8

Has anyone been for a fitting where they have been miles out from the static fit after actually playing a few shots and the fitter seeing your swing?

D

Deleted member 15344

I think the first thing is to not worry about it and trust the fit was done correct

If you start worrying then doubts creep in and it will effect your game

There will always be a chance that a static fit will differ a lot from when swinging

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
Went for a fitting for some Ping G30 irons last week.

Static fit had me at blue dot (.75* upright) with Ping Aqua grips which is one size down from standard

After doing the fitting the fitter put me to sliver dot (3.75* upright)

Seems like quite a jump from the static fit. I did hit a number of shots with the silver dot lie and did seem to hit them fairly well but the more I have looked in to it it seems seems that silver dot is more suited to a golfer over 6'0.

I am actually 5'8

Has anyone been for a fitting where they have been miles out from the static fit after actually playing a few shots and the fitter seeing your swing?
Static fit is only a start point. It puts me at only just over black dot, but once fitted I come out at green dot.
I wouldn't worry.

gjbike

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Did you go to ping at Gainsborough if so how long did you have to wait from booking the appointment to the fitting ?

Jamie23

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Cheers guys. The guy did seem fairly experienced. He had been a club pro for a number of years then worked in store for the last 7 years so I presume he knows what he is doing.

Looking at the specs from my current of the rack irons to the standard G30's there seem to be just under a 2* lie difference so when you look at it that way it isn't that big a jump from my standard set I have at the moment

Just looking forward to them arriving to get them on to the course and put my mind at rest

Jamie23

Assistant Pro
Visit site
No fitting was done through American Golf. I live in Scotland so Gainsborough wasn't really an option unfortunately

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sounds like a fitting done properly. Static fit as a start point like Lump says tgen work from the performance and the "non static" swing to find actual fit.
Many stories of static fit and Mizuno DNA being used as a full fitting tool as oppose to a start then resulting in poor fit or unsuitable irons. I was one of them, fitted on DNA only for XP105 S300 shafts and struggled for ages with them, then refitted properly this year and NS1150GH Regular now giving me much better results.

Jamie23

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Ye you are probably right, as I said before it is only around 1.5* more upright than my off the rack Taylormade irons so not to big a jump

BrizoH71

Tour Rookie
brianhealy.net
Yep, I had a 'quick-fit' by PING at last year's Scottish Golf Show where the static measurements put me right on the cusp of black and blue dots. However, when I actually got fitted (thanks GM/PING) I was fitted into Green Dot.

That fitting has since been confirmed as true by subsequent loft/lie checks with my pro