Picturesque Golf Courses

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
I spent last week on the beautiful isle of Harris. Annoyingly we didn't enjoy the scorchio weather the rest of the country experienced until the last couple of days but when the clouds parted and the sun arrived it was truly spectacular.

Harris golf club is a small 9 hole track. Short holes, tight fairways and small greens but good fun especially when the wind isn't blowing. (Warning, I reckon the day I played in the sun is the only day the wind hasn't blown in about ten years!) Oh.... and no golf on Sundays! :p

Check out these pictures.... can you beat them?

P7160127.jpgP7190351.jpgP7190356.jpgP7190357.jpgP7190358.jpgP7190361.jpg

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Glorious!

I was lucky enough to play Traigh a couple of years ago, another 9 holer and similarly beautiful views.

Were there some quirky holes to enjoy too? The first at Traigh is a short par three but too a green that sits way above you.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
That's a cracking looking course and some super pictures. Did you play well?

It's an absolutely stunning place. The beach you see there (Scarista) is amazing - we spent almost an entire day there and were the only people on it. Just round the corner is Luskentyre which is breathtaking.

I played OK but not great, my long game has been AWOL for weeks now. (Hopefully I'm starting to get it together now, it's coming!) It really was fun though.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Glorious!
Were there some quirky holes to enjoy too? The first at Traigh is a short par three but too a green that sits way above you.

None that were especially quirky but the shortness makes you think about it and the ability to shape your tee shot would help on a couple of holes. Tee shot on the first is blind but it's a downhill par 4 which you should drive and deep trouble if you overdo it!

One really short par 3 (longer off the guys tees I think) that is really just a pitch. Except normally it's straight into the wind - I played a wee punched 7 iron first couple of times I played it.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Would love to do a wee island hop golf tour if the ferries weren't so dear :(

Love the colours of the sky in the 1st photo.

To be honest, you wouldn't go there specifically to play the course but it's a great distraction if you're there anyway.

The weather was pretty wild when that photo was taken. Yes, I am wearing a woolly hat on a day that the rest of the country was experiencing a heatwave. However, it was taken using the "dramatic" setting on HID's new camera which certainly lives up to its billing!

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
We were there in May, a bit luckier with the weather.
Pity you did not take a picture of the clubhouse with it's turf roof. The road passes 20 yards away and you can't see it.

We stayed is an old blackhouse at Floodbay. Within 30 minutes of arrival we were sitting in the hall watching 3 otters feeding on crabs.
My Mrs also spotted a golden eagle one morning whilst sitting on the throne!

Ferry fares are not too expensive. About £70 return.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
We were there in May, a bit luckier with the weather.
Pity you did not take a picture of the clubhouse with it's turf roof. The road passes 20 yards away and you can't see it.

We stayed is an old blackhouse at Floodbay. Within 30 minutes of arrival we were sitting in the hall watching 3 otters feeding on crabs.
My Mrs also spotted a golden eagle one morning whilst sitting on the throne!

Ferry fares are not too expensive. About £70 return.

With signs asking visitors not to walk on the roof :)

P7160124.jpgP7190350.jpg

We saw a large pod of dolphins from the ferry on the way back. Amazing place.

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
Some cracking pictures for me Millport is very scenic when we played it the Waverly was steaming up the coast and Dunfanaghy in Donegal is very picturesque on the short par 3 hitting over the bay with the view to the beach in the background.

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
stevek1969...agree that views from Millport are nice but for really god scenery/views yo should try Rothesay on a sunny day
Pretty sure The Craw would back that up(wasn't he a member there?)
Jimbo

I'll back it up. It affords some stunning sunning views. Love it,nothing better than the views from Canada Hill.