Picking up the clubs for the first time in years

shun_naka

Club Champion
Visit site
Decided I was going to get back into the game, haven't played since I had a junior set and gave up once I hit my teens.

Bought a second hand set of clubs a month ago, Wilson pro-staff cavity clubs..4/5/6/7/8/9/P/L Irons, Ping si 380 driver, Taylor Made burner driver and Wilson putter

Been down the range a good few times and played my first 9 holes the other night, got the bug already!

Managing to hit my irons fairly well, nice and straight (albeit not ALOT of distance) and driver shots are totally inconsistent, some hitting well and some slicing away...been watching loads of youtube videos on how to sort this out so going to try them out.

Got a nice pair of adidas shoes on the way. Any tips or recommendations for basically a brand new player?!

TheCaddie

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Decided I was going to get back into the game, haven't played since I had a junior set and gave up once I hit my teens.

Bought a second hand set of clubs a month ago, Wilson pro-staff cavity clubs..4/5/6/7/8/9/P/L Irons, Ping si 380 driver, Taylor Made burner driver and Wilson putter

Been down the range a good few times and played my first 9 holes the other night, got the bug already!

Managing to hit my irons fairly well, nice and straight (albeit not ALOT of distance) and driver shots are totally inconsistent, some hitting well and some slicing away...been watching loads of youtube videos on how to sort this out so going to try them out.

Got a nice pair of adidas shoes on the way. Any tips or recommendations for basically a brand new player?!

Invest in some lessons, just to get the basics right. I was lucky enough to have bought got ten for the price of 6 in the winter last year. I did one each week for four weeks, just to really sort out the immediate basics, and then checked in with him every month or two on certain issues. Still have two lessons left, and I have found them invaluable.

Also, enjoy it! Try to get out and play as much as you can, and try and practice when you can as well. Sounds like you probably have a better grounding than I did, I was a completely new to the game last year, so it takes a while, and then things start to gradually click!

How did you get around the 9 holes? What was the par and what did you shoot? That will probably help people give you some more targetted advice.

Finally....Welcome to the madhouse / forum!!!!

shun_naka

Club Champion
Visit site
Invest in some lessons, just to get the basics right. I was lucky enough to have bought got ten for the price of 6 in the winter last year. I did one each week for four weeks, just to really sort out the immediate basics, and then checked in with him every month or two on certain issues. Still have two lessons left, and I have found them invaluable.

Also, enjoy it! Try to get out and play as much as you can, and try and practice when you can as well. Sounds like you probably have a better grounding than I did, I was a completely new to the game last year, so it takes a while, and then things start to gradually click!

How did you get around the 9 holes? What was the par and what did you shoot? That will probably help people give you some more targetted advice.

Finally....Welcome to the madhouse / forum!!!!

I've been looking to grab a few lessons definitely. I THINK ive got the grip etc sorted but I won't really know until someone who knows what they're doing takes a look at me!

I'm enjoying it definitely, the 9 holes to be honest were just to get out on the course again, I was hitting two balls a hole and not really keeping score. Next time i'll be doing it a bit more proper...in the grand scheme of thing I only lost around 5 balls (all from slicing the drives off the T) so counting that as a success! ha!

TheCaddie

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I would recommend getting some lessons. Unless you have been playing for a long time, it's so tough to self diagnose, and often you end up making so many small changes that you end up miles away from where you should be!!

Just keep working hard, set yourself small and achievable targets, which will continually evolve, and realise that the first year or two can be a bit of a slog in terms of your actual scores.... but you should still be enjoying all the trials and tribulations along the way! :D

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ok, the first, and most important lesson.. Golf is supposed to be fun. If you get to the point where you are forcing yourself to pick up the sticks then take a step back and possibly a week off..

Secondly, stick around on the forum (but ignore the distance threads.. Most people seem to use the same tape measure they use to measure their Johnsons when measuring their driving distance). One of the best things I ever did was to meet up with my "Virtual mates" at a local course.. We now play together regularly and it adds a social element to my golf..

Thirdly (and lastly), find a decent local pro (ask on here for recommendations). A couple of lessons on the fundamentals will usually result in a much quicker improvement over the first few months...

Have fun golfing.. :thup: