Phoenix open fans

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It's got to be one of my favourite tournaments to watch, and I LOVE the 16th hole! To be there in that crowd must be pretty awesome, I'd love it.

I'd be cheering, booing, the lot! As people have said, it's one hole for the entire year, anything is expected and encouraged. The booing and chanting to JR etc comes if you're a big name, it's like a badge of honour as someone said earlier.

If someone was chanting "shank shank shank" to me while I was on the tee, I'd be determined to not mess up and then when I'd played my shot I would take an over the top bow to the crowd!

Love it, great theatre, gets more people interested in golf.

Keep it up Phoenix!

D

Deleted member 1147

Fast forward a few years to the Ryder Cup at Bethpage Black. New York fans …. alcohol .... team event involving the USA …… it is going to be really ugly.
I remember Paddy Reed winning one of the play-off events a few years ago, where he got loads of abuse...and he's one of theirs!

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I think the event is a sign of the future of golf.
The Ryder cup is similar and that was mainly started because of the USA fans and then the Europeans following suit.
PGA events will follow suit with wanting the stadium atmosphere, if it brings in big money then that is what counts most ultimately and then eventually the European tour will follow the US as seems to happen in nearly all walks of life.
Like it or loathe it, golf as we know it is changing a lot, crowds, rules, you name it, it’s changing and will continue to do so.

As for people shouting “shank it”, that’s not bad given the context.