Phoenix open fans

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
My first post quoted nobody and was in response to all the previous posts.
I didn’t get personal.
neither did i, and not sure who your responses where to, as only a couple had commented one agreeing, they other saying it was "great Threatre" the other about a tribute to another Golfer?

a question for you.

is it acceptable to shout "Shank It " at a player about to take a shot on a par 3?

yes or no?

D

Deleted member 16999

neither did i, and not sure who your responses where to, as only a couple had commented one agreeing, they other saying it was "great Threatre" the other about a tribute to another Golfer?

a question for you.

is it acceptable to shout "Shank It " at a player about to take a shot on a par 3?

yes or no?
It’s a stupid loaded question, you crack on and have a nice day.(y)

D

Deleted member 15344

There's another aspect of the 16th hole that they definitely got right...

https://www.golfchannel.com/news/pg...-jarrod-lyle-16th-tee-saturday-tpc-scottsdale

That’s quality as was the video with Woodland

I’m not a fan of the 16th “theatre” - it gives people an excuse to act like doorknobs when the drink gets flowing and suspect many of them aren’t really golf fans

The players as a whole enjoy it to a point and it raises a lot for charity - as long as it’s just pantomime antics etc then I’m sure it’s ok but when it starts to get a bit insulting and shouting out the shank word is a bit poor and disrespectful but that’s how the US crowds act at times - especially against European players who have recently stuffed their boys in the RC

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Shouting shank is clearly a plank of a thing to do but players know what they are getting into at that hole so I suspect it becomes white noise. Any other tournament I'd agree with you but abuse there is practically a badge of honour and I suspect the players just laugh it off. Treat it as it is meant to be on that hole at that tournament.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Shouting shank is clearly a plank of a thing to do but players know what they are getting into at that hole so I suspect it becomes white noise. Any other tournament I'd agree with you but abuse there is practically a badge of honour and I suspect the players just laugh it off. Treat it as it is meant to be on that hole at that tournament.

clearly not my cup of tee, its wasn't just one shout, all you could hear was "shank it, shank it shank it, shank it"

to me thats not fun and i would suspect no golfer no matter how good they are would enjoy that being shouted at them on the tee with an iron in hand

D

Deleted member 16999

clearly not my cup of tee, its wasn't just one shout, all you could hear was "shank it, shank it shank it, shank it"

to me thats not fun and i would suspect no golfer no matter how good they are would enjoy that being shouted at them on the tee with an iron in hand
You’ve already stated you don’t watch much US golf and you quickly switched it off.
Best you don’t watch it tonight mate, inbetween groups they have a DJ playing music, the fans have their favourites, there are those they boo, locals they cheers, no matter how offensive WE find shouting shank, that is mild to what some of them get, they are not silent around that hole for any shot by any player, it is totally opposite to what happens in every other tournament and it’s encouraged, even by the players themselves.
Not getting personal or having a dig, this hole in this tournament goes against every standard of behaviour we expect on any other golf course.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
That’s quality as was the video with Woodland

I’m not a fan of the 16th “theatre” - it gives people an excuse to act like doorknobs when the drink gets flowing and suspect many of them aren’t really golf fans

The players as a whole enjoy it to a point and it raises a lot for charity - as long as it’s just pantomime antics etc then I’m sure it’s ok but when it starts to get a bit insulting and shouting out the shank word is a bit poor and disrespectful but that’s how the US crowds act at times - especially against European players who have recently stuffed their boys in the RC

Understand where you're coming from Phil & wouldn't want to see this at every tournament, but once a year with everyone knowing about it I tend to side with Paul over the general behaviour at the 16th. They're all big boys, they can give it a miss if they want, but I suspect some of them actually quite enjoy it. However the shank comment is a step too far in my opinion.

D

Deleted member 16999

Understand where you're coming from Phil & wouldn't want to see this at every tournament, but once a year with everyone knowing about it I tend to side with Paul over the general behaviour at the 16th. They're all big boys, they can give it a miss if they want, but I suspect some of them actually quite enjoy it. However the shank comment is a step too far in my opinion.
Exactly Richard, none of us want to hear them shouting “Shank” but you aren’t going to stop and educate, literally thousands of drunks from thinking they’re funny.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

This is the one tournament where the players wont take those comments seriously though. It's pantomime stuff. I can imagine a Poulter type person whopping them up and getting them to shout shank louder. It's a game on that hole, it goes with the territory. Anyone of a nervous disposition shouldn't play this tournament but from everything I read the players love it as an experience.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
TBH this post was not started in response to the tournament or the drinking or the music or even the general noise.

purely that i though that someone shouting shank it over and over was not on. i felt the same a few years ago watching an England Rugby game and the oppo fans shouting miss it as johnny Wilkinson lined up at kick

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16999

TBH this post was not started in response to the tournament or the drinking or the music or even the general noise.

purely that i though that someone shouting shank it over and over was not on. i felt the same a few years ago watching an England Rugby game and the oppo shouting miss it as johnny Wilkinson lined up at kick
Threads evolve though mate, no one on here would disagree with you on those shouting shank it, me and others were simply trying to explain why it’s prevelant at this event.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think you have to take the rough with the smooth personally.

I do think this is a one off event and therefore I’m less inclined to think that the standards of all live speccies are in decline.

I agree that urging a player to shank one is a bit off but that will happen when you pile a load of shandy drinking yanks with weak beer.

However if Rahm or any other player stiffed one straight in the hole, then the roar of delight from the stands would probably be a career highlight for the majority of participating players.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I think for 1 hole a year, it is pretty good. A unique experience and the event has grown massively on the back of this fan and player experience.

The players know the score and of course they realise it is a great way to generate fan and sponsor interest.

D

Deleted member 1147

Crap course, stupid fans and an obsession with a dull hole surrounded by drunk American idiots.

I still watch it because I like golf, but I hope it doesn’t end up ruining more events.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Any derogatory comment is out of order but that aside it's a staged event, once a year that does a lot for charities. The par three is a one off event and the players all know what to expect. I don't really see what the fuss is about. If the players didn't enjoy it they wouldn't play

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Any derogatory comment is out of order but that aside it's a staged event, once a year that does a lot for charities. The par three is a one off event and the players all know what to expect. I don't really see what the fuss is about. If the players didn't enjoy it they wouldn't play
Rather than just replying to every thread Willy nilly, why not read it then reply?:rolleyes: